Local Beach: Currumbin alley
Favorite Beaches: Seko island, Philippines
Style: All sorts
Gear: North vegas, cab twin tip with boots
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Moving from a vegas to a better allrounder

Postby Kitepom2020 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:42 pm

Ive been kiting for a while and travelled to quite a few places to kite. I’ve been using 7, 10 and 13 North/Duotone Vegas for. 7 years now and love the direct feeling, stability in the air and way they move in the sky. I used to focus on jumping as high as I could and unhooking and now have a broader interest and, as well as riding my twin tip board with boots, I like to take a surfboard out in the waves and would like to get into foiling. As I’m not on the water as much (2 kids) and I’ve recently had a MCL knee injury whilst kiting, I’m thinking it’s time to choose a kite that’s not quite as full on. I never used to notice the ‘down sides’ of a C kite before, such as the way they are a bit more aggressive and smaller wind range, when I was kiting a lot but I’m starting to feel then now so it’s time for a change.

Any suggestions for a kite to use? I don’t want something too ‘sheet in and go’ as I will miss working the kite. I want something that is fun to fly, drifts reasonably well, has good hang time, is versatile and stable in the air. Tall order?

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Moving from a vegas to a better allrounder

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:14 am

Kitepom2020 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:42 pm
I don’t want something too ‘sheet in and go’ as I will miss working the kite. I want something that is fun to fly, drifts reasonably well, has good hang time, is versatile and stable in the air. Tall order?
Liquid force Wow (v 1, 2, 3) would be my reccomendation if you want to go a completely different direction. Unfortunately, they are not made anymore. So hopefully someone can reccomend an equivalent.

Otherwise, how about sticking with the same kites (or going with the Dice?), and going strapless to tone things down? That's my plan when I start to get too beat up from strapped. And since I was dedicated to strapless for some time in the past, i have a good idea on how much easier it is going to be.

Sun
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m Hyperlink
12m, 10m, 8m Dice (2018)
10m Roca V2
6m Alana (2016)
Naish Stomp 142
Nobile XTR
Nobile Zen Split Foil Board
Zeeko Blaster, Spitfire (Normal & XLW)

Postby Sun » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:25 am

I never flew a Vegas, but I came from lots of experience on the Best GP. I still love flying that kite. Direct and powerful through the turns. But it needs perfect wind, and 5th line wraps are what they are. Similar to the 6 line Chaos I had limited experience with.

Go for the Dice. 85% of the fun for 10% of the bullshit.

Don’t go Evo/Pivot. You will probably hate they way they turn.

Cab FX is also great, especially the big sizes. 14m FX is really special.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
Kitepom2020 (Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:05 am)
Rating: 6.67%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Postby iriejohn » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:33 pm

Kitepom2020 wrote:
... I don’t want something too ‘sheet in and go’ as I will miss working the kite. I want something that is fun to fly, drifts reasonably well, has good hang time, is versatile and stable in the air. Tall order?
Something like Ozone Enduro perhaps*? Not amazing at any one thing, more a jack of all trades but master of none.

* which unsurprisingly is what I have.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Have you tried the Vegas in the 'high depower' and 'soft feeling' settings? (front lines on the most forward pigtail and steering lines in the most backwards pigtail)
That makes the Vegas feel a lot more friendly and all around.

If that's not enough, go down to the Dice. More friendly, still fast turner, and it jumps a lot. I didn't find the Dice as nice to unhook, but my Dice is a 2016, maybe the 2021 without the pulleys feels better. And the new Dice has now a 'wave setting'. It may be interesting. That may be my next kite.

If you go to a wave kite, you may miss the boosting. I recently bought a Slingshot SST. I've only used it once, but it really stroke me the lack of boosting.

SMJ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic

Postby SMJ » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:23 pm

From your requirements & if you want to stay with Duotone, check out the Dice. Dice will also be much better in the waves compared to he Vegas.

If you want even more all-around, then take a peek at the Evo. At your skill-level, you may find the Evo a bit sophomoric:

And if you don't want sheet-and-go, then definitely stay away from the Rebel.

If you're willing to change brands, then +1 vote for the Cabrinha FX.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Another kite that you may want to check out is Eleveight's RS. It's a medium/high aspect kite that's adjustable for both freeride/style and wave. I've flown it on the stock setting which to me feels much like the Dice with a hint of Evo. When I put it on the wave setting, the kite has a nice pivotal turn and drift which is great for the waves, strapless freestyle, and foiling. Eleveight kites are built in the same factory as Duotone and Core and are high quality. I've been really impressed with them. Their control bar could be improved, but that's a minor aspect.
Coming from a high aspect kite like the Vegas, the RS could definitely be to your liking. :thumb:
Another area of kites that may interest you could be "Open-C" kites like Airush's Wave or Eleveight's WS as examples.

andikite
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone pro whip csc 5'2
Ride Engine 2019 Harness

Postby andikite » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:13 am

Go for Dice. I came from Vegas and changed them to Dice in 2015. After these 5 years riding with Dice I'm getting in love with it more and more. This kite has the direct feeling that you love in your Vegas.

I use it for strapless and twintip old school 50/50%. 2021 ones with new lines of their bars are a amazing couple.

Other similar options. Ozone Enduro, F one Bandit, Eleveigth RS.. But if you love your Vegas, go with Dices is the most reasonable decision.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:29 am

Kitepom2020 wrote:
Ive been kiting for a while and travelled to quite a few places to kite. I’ve been using 7, 10 and 13 North/Duotone Vegas for. 7 years now and love the direct feeling, stability in the air and way they move in the sky. I used to focus on jumping as high as I could and unhooking and now have a broader interest and, as well as riding my twin tip board with boots, I like to take a surfboard out in the waves and would like to get into foiling. As I’m not on the water as much (2 kids) and I’ve recently had a MCL knee injury whilst kiting, I’m thinking it’s time to choose a kite that’s not quite as full on. I never used to notice the ‘down sides’ of a C kite before, such as the way they are a bit more aggressive and smaller wind range, when I was kiting a lot but I’m starting to feel then now so it’s time for a change.

Any suggestions for a kite to use? I don’t want something too ‘sheet in and go’ as I will miss working the kite. I want something that is fun to fly, drifts reasonably well, has good hang time, is versatile and stable in the air. Tall order?
Naish Dash / Slingshot RPM?
If you want to stay with Duotone Dice would tick the boxes I guess. :)

Kitepom2020
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Currumbin alley
Favorite Beaches: Seko island, Philippines
Style: All sorts
Gear: North vegas, cab twin tip with boots
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kitepom2020 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:56 am

Thanks all for the comments. Some great options there. Need to fix up my knee and do some demos :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”