SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Parkinson's and kiting

Postby Rojbrown » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:55 pm

Almost 62yo and recently diagnosed....needless to say it has put my world in a tailspin. Had envisioned eventual retirement to a SA beach community to kite year around. Now I wonder what role kiting will have in my future. It is my passion and my physical symptom is primarily a hand tremor. It's the psychological blow that's the gut punch.Last time out on SF my foot switches felt like they were anchored in cement. That was before diagnosis and treatment. My neurologist is optimistic I have years of function ahead. I had started foiling and was working on jibbing on foil. All of which can be viewed as therapy. Indeed powerful therapy for a movement disorder. My question is are there others in this community who kite with Parkinson's? What say you to your experience? I'd be happy mowing the lawn though still want to push the foil skills.I hope this doesn't sound like I'm playing a sympathy violin. Knowing the experience of others might help me navigate the path of acceptance. Feedback appreciated.
These users thanked the author Rojbrown for the post (total 4):
Havre (Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:05 pm) • matanshapira (Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:34 pm) • golfaroo (Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:58 pm) • SENDIT! (Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:23 pm)
Rating: 26.67%

Jamesconn300
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North America
Gear: _if it Flys or Floats
Brand Affiliation: _mars bars

Re: Parkinson's and kiting

Postby Jamesconn300 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:07 pm

Rojbrown wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:55 pm
Almost 62yo and recently diagnosed....needless to say it has put my world in a tailspin. Had envisioned eventual retirement to a SA beach community to kite year around. Now I wonder what role kiting will have in my future. It is my passion and my physical symptom is primarily a hand tremor. It's the psychological blow that's the gut punch.Last time out on SF my foot switches felt like they were anchored in cement. That was before diagnosis and treatment. My neurologist is optimistic I have years of function ahead. I had started foiling and was working on jibbing on foil. All of which can be viewed as therapy. Indeed powerful therapy for a movement disorder. My question is are there others in this community who kite with Parkinson's? What say you to your experience? I'd be happy mowing the lawn though still want to push the foil skills.I hope this doesn't sound like I'm playing a sympathy violin. Knowing the experience of others might help me navigate the path of acceptance. Feedback appreciated.
stay positive, everybody's wheels fall off eventually - nobody can escape this fact

you are in my thoughts and I'm sure many others here.
please keep us updated on your condition and how it affects your sessions if you are comfortable sharing.
These users thanked the author Jamesconn300 for the post:
Rojbrown (Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses 80/91/101cm masts with 800/425 695/425 637/420 1000/421 wingsets, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Moses 80cm alu mast $260

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 pm

Michael J Fox mentioned that playing guitar temporarily remedies the symptoms, so maybe some level of mental+physical activity is a good thing. I’d check with doctors on that
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
Rojbrown (Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:09 pm

Yeah. Music therapy seems to work. Definitely worth checking out.

I don't want to give anyone false hope (or make it sound like I know more about this than I do), but if I remember correctly Elon Musk is extremely optimistic that Neuralink could do wonders for people with Parkinson? Might also be worth checking out - and stay informed about.

The mind is powerful in both "directions". I had a friend who ended up laying in bed for more or less six months straight when he was in his 20s. His body just completely shut down. Always been very healthy. Even used to compete in gymnastics. So I don't think it was anything physical. Now he is back to normal. But you can also trick your mind in a positive direction. I don't believe in "magic", but I am extremely curious as to how what I eat, how I breathe etc. influences my "health". Personally I absolutely love Wim Hof´s breathing technique. Might have 0 effect on you, but if you believe that those kind of things could help - even if it is only making you 0.001% better I would recommend checking that out.

Keep going. And maybe 1-2-3 years from now you are kiting with Neuralink without a care in the world! And while you wait you have been able to keep things at bay in such a way it is just your head blocking you to kite as you have always kited! It's not impossible....
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Rojbrown (Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:15 pm)

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:13 pm

stay positive, everybody's wheels fall off eventually - nobody can escape this fact

you are in my thoughts and I'm sure many others here.
please keep us updated on your condition and how it affects your sessions if you are comfortable sharing.

I'll keep this post updated. It may be therapy for me. Winter is a slow kiting time here is AZ. Lake Mohave gets chilly and my cold tolerance has plummeted as well. But I'll keep at it. As for now I'm exercising daily including doing foot switches on a bosu ball while holding a 12lb ball. Engraving what motor pathways i can living land bound

tkachuk
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:01 am

I understand the right meds and a good neurologist can control symptoms well, so kite on!
These users thanked the author tkachuk for the post:
Rojbrown (Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:34 am)

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.
Up to 3 DIY foil designs built and getting the hang of wingsurf foiling as we switch into 2021.

Postby fluidity » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:56 am

Keep at it Rojbrown. Continue to challenge your body and mind with new things. Like dancing is supposed to be good for altzheimers, maybe look for some other manual dexterity things like rubic's cubes etc.
These users thanked the author fluidity for the post:
Rojbrown (Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:34 am)

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 205lbs
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050, mako king,NHP split,
lf happy foil, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:25 am

My brother’s s father inlaw has Parkinson’s. 15 years after diagnosis he has learned to play the guitar and competes locally in ballroom dancing. Not my choice of pastimes but both hobbies require balance, coordination, and dexterity. His hand tremor is slightly more pronounced. Keep moving buddy.
Foiling will keep you young and enjoying life.
These users thanked the author grtlakes for the post:
Rojbrown (Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:48 am)

BenBen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor

Postby BenBen » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:05 am

Hey,
My bandmate has the same diagnosis since 9 months. His symptoms were worse. But now after 6 months of therapy and medics he s doing fine and he s able to play guitar and drums again. I bet the right medicine will fight the tremor and keep you kiting for years and years. Good luck !
These users thanked the author BenBen for the post:
Rojbrown (Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:25 pm)

knyfe
Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 am

Staying active is the most important non-pharmaceutical part you can do to help yourself. Your current symptoms you got diagnosed on should be controllable with the help you your docs prescriptions. After some initial dose adjustments you should be fine doing anything. Progressing foiling for sure.

No one can predict your long term progression (as with kiting progression - who would have thought that it’s so difficult for the old timers, me included ;-) ) at the moment - time will tell - but staying active is the best you can do. Kiting - dancing - guitar playing (fine motor skills) are all the right things to do.

G

... My wife does Parkinson’s research.
These users thanked the author knyfe for the post:
Rojbrown (Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:26 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”