SPI
Union Island
Style: Intermediate surf/beginner foil
Gear: Switch Helium 8/12/16
Hyperlink V1 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Parkinson's and kiting

Postby Rojbrown » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:50 pm

I truly appreciate all the encouragement! With this support I plan to continue to kite and even progress in my foiling skills. Winter/COVID both have limited on the water time. Also just prior to diagnosis I lost both foil and board during a nuking session. Despite a lake location boat search and notifying the local kite community and park service has not turned it up. This I more easily accept. Anyone on Lake Mohave who comes across a Shinn Jackson with an Armstrong foil please let me know. Thanks for the Wim Hof and M Fox references. I'm looking into both! I'll be back on the water soon!!

Hefoer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Norway
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish ride, north vegas, switch element , switch helium
Has thanked: 0

Postby Hefoer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:15 pm

Hello. I rarely post anything on this forum but this topic wanted me to say something :)

About a year ago I went kiting and met an awesome guy on the spot. We were the only kiters out there that day.

He had done some lessons with an instructor a while back and was now trying himself. He told me he was diagnose with parkinsons years ago. I could see he was rigid in movement and a bit forward learning when walking. Not much tremor to see, but he was holding his bar when i was talking to him.

Still, this guy was out there and enjoing every second. He was still learning to water start, and i went out with him to maybe give some advices. I can say he did progress that day, and im sure he will become a good kiteboarder.

From what I understand, you have just recently been diagnosed, AND you already know how to kite, so this should absolutely not stop you from kiteboarding.

Keep kiting, and dont worry too much about this :) you most likely have many years of kiting left :)

Kind regards
Henrik
These users thanked the author Hefoer for the post:
Rojbrown (Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:26 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

slide
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 78kg
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes , uk
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards ,souls , spd5s

Postby slide » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:46 am

so sorry to hear this and keep kiting and moving , stretching and keep mobile
i've had a few bad diagnosis but i refuse to give up kiting ,type1 diabetic 21years, kidney cancer grade3 2009, secondry to my brain 2011, told it was months not years , but i got my driving license back 2018 after having 2 years without a reoccurance and and while covid has and is still messing everything up i did manage a great landboarding session at my local beach about 3 weeks ago after having a mild stroke 10 weeks ago , but we are in lockdown here now so i can't go for a bit, but keep ya chin up

maybe get a landboard to ride for when you are not 100% about going in the water, if you do like the idea of a landboard and would like some advice , you are very wellcome to private message me bud, take care , pete
These users thanked the author slide for the post:
Rojbrown (Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:23 am)

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:29 am

Thanks Pete! You're an inspiration! I'm listening to Micheal J Fox's new book. He found golf gave him an outlet/therapy. I'll keep kiting and may consider the landboard option.
These users thanked the author Rojbrown for the post:
slide (Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:17 pm)

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:35 pm

Best of luck mate. Hope all goes well.
These users thanked the author apollo4000 for the post:
Rojbrown (Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 am)

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:46 pm

I remember seeing a documentary where a stuntman was suffering Parkinson's - and discovered that if he took ecstasy the symptoms would temporarily disappear - the doc showed him with tremors before - taking the drug then doing somersaults on a trampoline. Not recommending getting off your face but is an option to get relief.....found doc on youtube
These users thanked the author Carlos_C for the post:
Rojbrown (Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 am)

slide
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 78kg
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes , uk
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards ,souls , spd5s

Postby slide » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:35 pm

i tried one of them once and it just made me very sensitive and very loving,and i loved it ,it certainly does not make you get off ya face , i only had 1 once ,so i'm not an expert but it seemed very calming ,certainly better than muddy alcohol -i've played guitar since i was 12 and sing as well , i've been in a few 3 pieces and i have never liked being muddy /pissed , it is not the best to play guitar and get musical it just spoils it ,a little bit of green is my thing,

and as i've found out since my kidney cancer grade 3 diagnosis in 2009 and then a secondry to my brain diagnosis november 11th 2011 cannabis oil shrinks cancer and thats why i'm still here-addenbrookes oncology told me after my secondry to my brain diagnosis 2011 "it was months not years", that is a sentence that i have never forgot and its etched in my soul
and every time i go for a check up and scan results the oncolodgy team don't really know what to say to me as they can't believe i'm still alive and kicking and they smile alot and congratulate me and say they will use my example to others suffering the same thing , but they don't ask and i don't say how i've achieved 10 years and still kiting, still loving, still buzzing, still loving life :D

so if you get the chance deffinately try an ecstasy tablet and let us know if it gives you some relief, take care , pete
These users thanked the author slide for the post:
Rojbrown (Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:38 am)

Rojbrown
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 190lbs
Local Beach: Lake Mojave boat launch
Favorite Beaches: Lake Mohave AZ
SPI
Union Island
Hyperlink V1 12

Postby Rojbrown » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:47 am

I'm eager to explore. I haven't a clue where to begin that journey. When I find a door to walk through I'll give an update.

Return to “Kitesurfing”