Forum for kitesurfers
Grizwald
Medium Poster
Weight: 72 kg
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

How much gear would you bring for 2 months

Postby Grizwald » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:02 am

Hypothetically, because if the news is to be believed the world will end next week.

If you were going to a tropical place of some sort how much gear would you bring.
Given that
a. Wind forecasts are never correct
b. rental gear (if it can be had at all) is never as good as your own gear and is expensive
but...
if you are flying an american airline there is a good chance they will loose or break something important. I don't think non-american carriers are that much better I just have more experience with U.S. based airlines breaking my stuff.
Most airlines charge as much or more for your gear as they do for your seat.
Transportation at the destination end is always, always, always, a pain in the glutieal region.

Would you take different size boards, tt, surf, foil
How many kites to go with said boards
How many bars
Wet suit (s), rash guard, booties
Spare pump, repair kits, bottle openers, cork screws, beer cozy (s)

Would the number of flights, the airline, distance to the spot from the airport figure into your calculations?
yours in wonderment
Griz

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Re: How much gear would you bring for 2 months

Postby knotwindy » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:32 am

Not sure but I thought the rule was
Whatever you don’t bring is what you’ll need?

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:40 am

Grizwald wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:02 am
Hypothetically, because if the news is to be believed the world will end next week.
That was last week! You missed it......and now you are stuck here. But yes, I am holding out hope that things get better too.

Personally, I could never go on this "hypothetical" trip as I'd need to send a shipping container ahead with my stuff. So check on the rate for that.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:08 am

For two months, I wouldn't worry too much about number of flights, transfers, etc. But I've been lucky.....never lost or had anything damaged during air travel (although I've had gear stolen at my destination).

I'd try to take 2 LEIs plus a foil kite (no more than 3 total). In my experience, you can usually rent a functional light wind TT or surfboard, so I'd leave those at home. I'd probably try to travel with a smaller, high wind TT and a foil board setup.

If it's a tropical destination, leave the wetsuit at home; a light weight steamer top with board shorts should suffice in "colder" conditions. I've known people who leave their pumps at home and simply borrow one from another kiter on the beach. Personally, I want my own pump, but I'd take a smaller, old style pump (non-WMFG) to save space.

That alone would be a lot for air travel. I'm sure I'd pay extra fees for weight, etc. But 2 months is a long time if it's a dedicated kiting trip, so take what you need. :thumb:

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:42 am

Travel light
Last edited by madworld on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:47 am

2 kites a twintip a guitar and a repair kit that's it. It sucks traveling with everything you own like a turtle carrying his house on his back.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
madworld (Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:24 am)
Rating: 3.03%

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:25 am

I would take whatever fits in your kitebag that’s stays within the extra luggage regulations. (On my flights that usually means max 20-Ish kilo’s). This also keeps things somewhat manageable because traveling with normal luggage and a kitebag is a pain indeed. Making the kitebag very big/heavy is just going to add to that pain.

So in my experience that’s about 3 larger sized kites, a twintip, 2 bars , harness, a wetsuit and a lot of padding.

These days I would probably switch the twintip for a foil and switch to smaller = lighter kites and depending on weight I probably just rent a twintip or waveboard if I wanted to use one.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:36 am

Those borrowings other kites pumps deliberately, are totally douche bags, it is somewhat a crime IMO and a totally no go.

If you on the other hand travel without one, buy one at the destination, and give it away, maybe to a local with small money, when leaving, THAT is the way to go :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
Eduardo (Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:21 pm) • leeuwen (Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:38 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

danlar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 62kg
Local Beach: Santa Marianita, Ecuador
Favorite Beaches: I have kited at: Peru (Paracas, Mancora), Bresil (Cumbuco), Dominican Republic (Cabarete, Las Terrenas), Grenadines (Union Island), USA (Hatteras, Tarpon Springs), Bahamas (Exuma), Greece (Paros, Lefkada),Turks & Caicos (Long Bay)
Style: freerider, freestyle
Gear: Evo SLS 8m 2022, Rebel 9m 2020, Dice SLS 11m 2022, Neo SLS 12m 2022, Juice 15m 2020, Shinn Bronq Luigi 135/41, Jaime SLS 142/43, Cabrinha surfboard Secret Weapon

Postby danlar » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:21 pm

My quiver to travel

Rebel 9m and 11m plus the new liter Juice 15m
Shinn Bronq Luigi 135cm and the new liter Jaime SLS 142cm
Lightweight Mystic travelbag

A pump and 2 bars, 22m and 24m, a flexible harness and a wetsuit

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Great question. For sure it depends on the airline, location, and the local rental scene. There are places where you can cheaply rent quality equipment and others where you can't. I would not worry about lost/broken luggage as that can all be insured. The worry is baggage fees which could quickly exceed the cost of renting or even the equipment itself. Especially if you travel multiple airlines and have to recheck your bags mid-way. I once got hit twice in one direction for a surf board, first to get to Lima on a US airline and then again leaving Lima by LAN.

I suggest to bring whatever you MUST have for a great trip. That is, pack for the conditions that you are traveling to get. If the conditions are not what you came for, my strategy is usually to do something else other than kiting, surfing, SUP, hiking, biking, ... but you could also rent for that case.

Return to “Kitesurfing”