Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Evo SLS 12m - feedback please!

Postby andikite » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:54 pm

POACHER wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:47 pm
The marketing in kiteboarding is particularly laughable....and Duotone are just about the worst offenders too. It's tough to make it through some of their videos even.

"- would never fall out of the sky, even when the foil kites were down already"

Umm.............sure. I'll believe that when I see it.

Legit question:

Isn't Dacron stronger than ripstop? The trade off being considerably heavier. If yes, how is making the leading edges out of PentaTex make a "stronger" kite? I buy the lighter part, but stronger too?
Hmmm.......suspect. I would believe those claims from Aluula with their tear strength comparison videos, but just another strip in the rip stop makes it some super fabric?
I don't understand your question. Penta TX is lighter and stronger than Dracon. Therefore, the frame of the kite is stronger, in the same time that is lighter.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:22 pm

It is stronger? Seriously asking....or is it just Duo saying that it's stronger?
Are there any test vids like the Aluula that demonstrate the obvious difference in strength?

I ask because I hardly notice a difference in my '20 -'21 Pivots with Quad tex from my '16 Pivots non Quad Tex with more Dacron frame around the trailing edge. If I were to guess it was more of a cost savings move with a slight weight advantage.

gnevin
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: South Carolina
Gear: North Reach, Gin Marabou 2, Slingshot foils

Postby gnevin » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:12 pm

mmac
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP
Style: surf
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mmac » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:20 pm

According to Duotone, the SLS model is 2 knots better on the low range than the standard model. If true, that sounds like a great improvement to me.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:46 pm

I'm wondering if SLS 12m would deliver same power as non-SLS at 20kts? I wouldn't care so much about low end as I have 15m Soul but it would great if kite delivered more power while maintaining same speed.

aitorlopezosua
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Melbourne, Port Phillip Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Point, Macapa, Aitutaki, Le Morne
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Duotone

Postby aitorlopezosua » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:59 pm

I have been flying the Evo the last to month with not too much luck with the wind (most of the time
It has been 15 to 20 knots). I am 100 kg rider.

Low end, definitely with the right technique you can ride with 2 knots less being able to ride in 15/16 knots area, depending on the gust. With the Evo 2020 I was out in 17/18 knots and that makes me think if I want to keep my Juice as I found it so heavy and slow now that for giving me 2 extra knots it might not be worthy to keep it.

A few days out on 20+ and it is when the real fun begins, you can tell the improvements: The kite is lighter and quicker, you can really tell and it has less “punch” making me able to do my first kite loops (doing then just 1/2 m over the water as I want to start safe getting the technique).

Massive changes? Different kite? No and yes, a bit here and there and the kite is the same but different. O changed my board as well at the same time and it has take me a bit to adjust timings, pops, riding in chop and switching to toe side but I’m getting there and lately the stronger winds are making me smile with this new kite.

Saying that, when I demoed the the Neo SLS 11m I noticed more the improvements and changes, that was sick but to be true, last time I tried a Neo it was a year ago and it was 12m 2016 model.

SLS is different and better definitely, is it worthy the money? It is up to you but the design is a real step up and 2020 model was indeed another one.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:30 pm

Has anyone weighed a 12m Evo SLS and if so, what does it weigh please?

Edit: Duotone website says 3.13kg so that's just a little heavier than my 3 year old Ozone Enduro V2 12m which weighs 3.08 kg.
Last edited by iriejohn on Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mass898
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Bredene
Favorite Beaches: Oesterdam
Style: freeride
Gear: Duotone rebel 6-9m
Evo SLS 11m
Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41
Epic Oxygen 135x47

Postby mass898 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:59 pm

hi guys, just giving my feebdack on the EVO SLS. Used twice this weekend and am not yet convinced.
So i have taken the EVO SLS 11M, following the advice of the duotone calculator on their website.
I am 80kg and use twintip, lieuwe shotgun 138

I used it friday in spot with small waves. Wind started at 14 knots, i was hardly standing and impossible to go upwind. Wind picked up a bit to go to 16 knots and still was hard to keep upwind. There was a guy with a 10m weighting 60kg with a TT and he told me he was struggling too. I was with 22m lines.

Sunday i went to kite on a flat spot. Again 15-16 knots. There was a guy that looked my size with a rebel 13m and he seemed to be more at ease. When the wind was dropping a bit, i was struggling to keep upwind. I took 24m line, this time.

Honestly i was (maybe naively) expecting to be able to kite with 12 knots. Here i would say the limit is 14 knots on flat for my weight. So a bit deceived, i should have taken 12m to have enough power.

Interested to have your feedback.
These users thanked the author mass898 for the post:
iriejohn (Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:26 pm

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:06 pm

mass898 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:59 pm
So i have taken the EVO SLS 11M, following the advice of the duotone calculator on their website.
I am 80kg and use twintip, lieuwe shotgun 138

Interested to have your feedback.
Gear size recommendations are always tricky unless you know the exact circumstances, rider preferences, board size etc.
Based on my own weight I also think the numbers of their calculator are a bit on the safe/boring side.
They would work on a bigger board but on a smaller board with a lot of rocker like the shotgun with the aim to jump big it seems like their recommendations (even for the normal Evo) are to small for my taste.

Also conditions matter e.g. very cold dry air vs hot humid air makes quite a big difference.
And then you have things like currents making some normally ok wind conditions still unusable on anything but a hydrofoil.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
iriejohn (Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”