Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby jakemoore » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:46 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:23 am

]
I'm always worried the exposed edges at the bottom would get all slice and dice in a good faceplant...
I’ve never seen such an injury. Furthermore, there are many safety glassses with a similar design. I guess anything can happen.

mass898
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Bredene
Favorite Beaches: Oesterdam
Style: freeride
Gear: Duotone rebel 6-9m
Evo SLS 11m
Lieuwe Shotgun 138x41
Epic Oxygen 135x47

Postby mass898 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:51 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
mass898 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:01 pm
i have got jobe sunglasses and they never fell off. They are really well wrapped around your head.

Something like this: https://www.zwemvesten.nl/watersportbri ... XqEALw_wcB

honestly its not a big expense. Even if i lose them, i would just buy another pair.... that is something you cant do with your eyes...
I'm always worried the exposed edges at the bottom would get all slice and dice in a good faceplant...
thats the exact model i have: https://www.billy.be/products/jobe-knox ... s=e&_v=1.0

the frame goes all around.

i dont know how they will shatter and hurt my eyes, they are flexible and solid.

The way you can think about this is that in every outdoor sport they use sun glasses: beach volley, montain bike, football etc... if the risk of getting your eye cut by the glass was that high, nobody would wear it in such discipline where in stead of water, you crash with people and hard ground.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:23 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:46 pm
I’ve never seen such an injury. Furthermore, there are many safety glassses with a similar design. I guess anything can happen.
You have no idea how shit my luck is -- check out all the belt loops and pockets that have been ripped off my pants because they've caught on door handles...!

I've had a couple of slams off the foil (what else?) that have dislodged my hat/helmet and glasses, and dragged them up my face. So I worry, even without cause :lol:
Last edited by Kamikuza on Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
1234567Simon (Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:25 pm

mass898 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:51 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
mass898 wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:01 pm
i have got jobe sunglasses and they never fell off. They are really well wrapped around your head.

Something like this: https://www.zwemvesten.nl/watersportbri ... XqEALw_wcB

honestly its not a big expense. Even if i lose them, i would just buy another pair.... that is something you cant do with your eyes...
thats the exact model i have: https://www.billy.be/products/jobe-knox ... s=e&_v=1.0

the frame goes all around.

i dont know how they will shatter and hurt my eyes, they are flexible and solid.

The way you can think about this is that in every outdoor sport they use sun glasses: beach volley, montain bike, football etc... if the risk of getting your eye cut by the glass was that high, nobody would wear it in such discipline where in stead of water, you crash with people and hard ground.
Those are SeaSpecs-clones, eh.

Yeah it's just paranoia ... but :lol:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:55 pm

Semi-rimless sunglasses will normally have a nice smooth rounded safety bevel to prevent cheeks cuts.

Those type sunglasses because of the gap at the bottom have added ventilation and are usually less subject to fogging.

On a warm day you fall in the cold water with your sunglasses.

When you come out of the water warm air fogging usually happens to the lenses but with semi-rimless you should recover clarity faster.

Also the lens thickness has something to do with recovery.

They can be made anywhere from 1.5mm to 2.0 mm center thickness ( polycarbonate polarized non-RX)

Thicker lenses because they became colder tend to stay fogged a bit longer.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:49 pm

I am on the water everyday and it is very very sunny and bright where I live. I have gone through a variety of sunglasses and have found the holy grail:
-Electric John John Florence sunglasses.

They have removable side eyecups to reduce side-light, unreal polarization, hydrophobic, and look good (eyecups are removable). Throw an adjustable tie on the back and wear a hat and they don't come off even with big crashes. Eyecups are replaceable if lost.

They are expensive but are specifically designed for JJF and all the watersports/sailing he does in Hawaii and it shows.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:46 pm

Yes those 6 base non-wraparound sunglasses have great lenses and the removable eyecups are must to block sunlight from the sides while kiting.

Yes you pay for what you get.

Lenses have all the best features including the backside anti-reflective treatment.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby FredBGG » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:42 pm

Sea specs and other small lens sunnies are an impediment of peripheral vision that is important for kiting.

I use some I found on Amazon . One large single wrap around lens. I am a photographer so eyesight is really important to me.

With my helmet they stay in place well. I use a rear strap just in case, but it is one that lets you still rip off the glasses.

It comes with 6 lenses. From dark to clear and a few colors.

I tested the lens for safety. I dropped a 10 lb cast iron wight from 10 feet onto the lens sitting on to 1/2 inch blocks to try and break the lens.
On the third try the weight broke, the lens was just dented and did not shatter or crack.

I also whacked it with a big large rusty/blunt axe.. my fin simulator.... the lens ended up with a nasty dent, but the blade did not go through.
The same force put a 1/2 inch cut in a piece of 2x4 wood.

They do not float, but I don't care seeing they cost about $30.

I tested the UV cut and it is excellent.

Peripheral vision is great especially looking up. As high as I try to look I still cant see the frame.

I brutalizer a frame and I could not het the frame to snap or the lens to go through the back of the frame.

I did a wet pillow face slam and the frame did not hurt my face much.

Only issue I found is that they are a close fit and after a face plant you bet some finger print type oil from your skin on the inside and it can get a bit blurry.
I just keep some wet face wipes in the car and wipe off my cheek bones before gearing up.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:12 am

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:46 pm
Yes those 6 base non-wraparound sunglasses have great lenses and the removable eyecups are must to block sunlight from the sides while kiting.

Yes you pay for what you get.

Lenses have all the best features including the backside anti-reflective treatment.
Supa, I broke my Costas. I wonder what independent lines you would recommend for a RxAble base 8
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
PullStrings (Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:10 am

FredBGG wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:42 pm
I did a wet pillow face slam and the frame did not hurt my face much.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Awesome!

Return to “Kitesurfing”