Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surfer's eye - pterygium

Forum for kitesurfers
lavueltalmundo
Rare Poster
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 3:10 am
Local Beach: Wellington
Favorite Beaches: Perth, Los Roques, Sri Lanka
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North, Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby lavueltalmundo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:32 pm

Hey guys,

Apparently having "pterygium" also known as surfer's eye is pretty common and the recommendation made my ophthalmologists is to wear sunnies while kiting. However, I've always lost my sunnies and to be honest I dont know how safe it is to wear even a pair that is well strapped if you do high jumps/crash often and ride somewhat aggressively, so I have constantly ditched the idea of sunglasses. I do wear a cap all the time, but at 31yo I have that pterygium in both eyes and its starting to become rather painful. I just wonder how many other kiters actually suffer from this too and what have they done to tackle it.

Anyone on the same boat or that has had that surgery and has some recommendations?

Would appreciate any input!
Last edited by lavueltalmundo on Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:01 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby sarc » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:39 pm

Gath helmet with visor

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 736
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:25 am
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone 21' Rebel 7M, 9m & 11m, 15m Juice, on a Lieuwe Shotgun
Location: Netherlands
Has thanked: 569 times
Been thanked: 157 times

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby Leon van Bergen » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:48 pm

lavueltalmundo wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:32 pm
Hey guys,

Apparently having "pterygium" also known as surfer's eye is pretty common and the recommendation made my ophthalmologists is to wear sunnies while kiting. However, I've always lost my sunnies and to be honest I dont know how safe it is to wear even a pair that is well strapped if you do high jumps/crash often and ride somewhat aggressively, so I have constantly ditched the idea of sunglasses. At 31yo I have that pterygium in both eyes.

Anyone on the same boat or that has had that surgery and has some recommendations? I feel that as long as I kite I will have that "surfer's eye"

Would appreciate any input!
Lavueltalmundo, why don't you use the search option first?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2406405&p=1097614&h ... e#p1097614

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380855&hilit=surfer+eye

lavueltalmundo
Rare Poster
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 3:10 am
Local Beach: Wellington
Favorite Beaches: Perth, Los Roques, Sri Lanka
Style: Freestyle
Gear: North, Core
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby lavueltalmundo » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:00 pm

Leon van Bergen wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:48 pm
lavueltalmundo wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:32 pm
Hey guys,

Apparently having "pterygium" also known as surfer's eye is pretty common and the recommendation made my ophthalmologists is to wear sunnies while kiting. However, I've always lost my sunnies and to be honest I dont know how safe it is to wear even a pair that is well strapped if you do high jumps/crash often and ride somewhat aggressively, so I have constantly ditched the idea of sunglasses. At 31yo I have that pterygium in both eyes.

Anyone on the same boat or that has had that surgery and has some recommendations? I feel that as long as I kite I will have that "surfer's eye"

Would appreciate any input!
Lavueltalmundo, why don't you use the search option first?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2406405&p=1097614&h ... e#p1097614

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380855&hilit=surfer+eye
I checked those too before, but thanks. If I post it again it is because I didnt find the answers I needed on the older posts and its a forum after all.

User avatar
Topaz
Frequent Poster
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:32 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby Topaz » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:04 pm

Yeah, fair concern there. I put them on when the conditions are mild and the sun is bright, otherwise, I go without.
It's very easy to loose them on the waves, even with straps. I got a rash guard with hood, so I strap my glasses and then put the hood over. The hood saves me from the sun and saves my glasses as well.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
lavueltalmundo (Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:06 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

papasmerf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 437
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:18 am
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby papasmerf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:31 am

lavueltalmundo wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:32 pm
Hey guys,

Apparently having "pterygium" also known as surfer's eye is pretty common and the recommendation made my ophthalmologists is to wear sunnies while kiting. However, I've always lost my sunnies and to be honest I dont know how safe it is to wear even a pair that is well strapped if you do high jumps/crash often and ride somewhat aggressively, so I have constantly ditched the idea of sunglasses. I do wear a cap all the time, but at 31yo I have that pterygium in both eyes and its starting to become rather painful. I just wonder how many other kiters actually suffer from this too and what have they done to tackle it.

Anyone on the same boat or that has had that surgery and has some recommendations?

Would appreciate any input!
those kurtis sunglasses are pretty wipe out proof

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:29 am
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby SMJ » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:01 am

I wear Maui Jim Watermans when I'm not going crazy. These have never come off, but they're expensive, and they sink. You can get them for around $100 on eBay.
https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/shop/s ... lsrc=aw.ds

I wear SeaSpecs when I'm going ballistic. These are a lot cheaper, and they float. Although, I've never had them come off during a fall:
https://www.seaspecs.com/index?gclid=Cj ... HwQAvD_BwE

I used to wear the Dragon H2O floating specs, but they don't come with the builit-in band. Something to consider if you don't want the band around your head, but you can expect these to fall off. I lost a pair after they fell off even though they float:
https://www.dragonalliance.com/tech-h2o ... lsrc=aw.ds

There's a slew of other brands out there, but these are pretty good quality. Can't comment on surgery.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2826
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:28 pm

If you are good enough that you dont need to "look" cool, put on a helmet. Then you wont lose strapoed sunglasses anymore.

patrelsa
Rare Poster
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:25 pm
Gear: kite
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby patrelsa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:42 pm

I just had a pterygium removed oct 1st ,now its back again and more painful,when they get removed should they come back so quickly....i wear cheap sun glasses now.I will get this new one removed ASAP,but do they go away themselves?whats the danger of them ,besides the irritation?

User avatar
jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2196
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:59 am
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oleander
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 179 times
Contact:

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby jakemoore » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:54 pm

patrelsa wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:42 pm
I just had a pterygium removed oct 1st ,now its back again and more painful,when they get removed should they come back so quickly....i wear cheap sun glasses now.I will get this new one removed ASAP,but do they go away themselves?whats the danger of them ,besides the irritation?
Yes they can come back quickly. Replacing the pterygiun with a conjunctival graft and using Mitomicin C reduces the recurrence to less than 1%.

If there is an early recurrence you may be able to treated it medically with your doctors supervision.

Stay away from naphthaolazone and tetrahydrazolazine and the other vasoconstrictors. Visiene Clear Eyes Rhoto etc. That will just make it worse in the long run.

A small pterygium is best ignored because they can be more aggressive if they recur. But if it gets close to the center of the vision for example causing astigmatism it is time for it to go. Once it’s in the center it will leave a scar that will block the sight.

Best to wear sunglasses to prevent the first prerygium. I’m also a big fan of rinsing the eyes with fresh water or even better an artificial tear after a session to take the irritation down.

The pterygium has no idea how much you spend on glasses but does respond if you don’t wear them. The helmet to retain the sunglasses is a top tip and will make the neurologist happy too.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests