Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Surfer's eye - pterygium

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:43 pm

FredBGG wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:42 pm
$130 from Amazon Japan...! There's a version with only 3 lenses for $70 but the frame colors are hideous.

Keep meaning to try the Bobster Renegades, which have photochromatic lenses, are designed for motorcycling so have impact resistant lenses and some padding behind them... and are $45.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:14 pm

Jake
Look at SPY Optic safety sunglasses Ansi-Z87.1
Excellent strong frames with a bit deeper eyewire groove for maximum lens retention.
Consider the Bounty with just clear poly lenses in them that way you save money since you will insert your RX.
Size is : A=65.0 DBL=17.0 B=39.0
That frame only available in matte or shiny black.

Link here for all of them :

https://www.spyoptic.com/sunglasses/mens/safety/

Also look at Wiley X safety sunglasses Ansi-Z87.1

Link here :

https://www.wileyx.com/sunglasses?cat=13&wx_user=983
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post:
jakemoore (Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:44 pm

In my 40 years experience windsurfing/kitesurfing I have lost numerous pairs of sun (prescription) glasses. There is no strap that is 100% effective. At some point you will crash so hard that the glasses will get ripped off your head. For the last 10 years or so i have tied a length of flying line to the Chums holding the glasses to the back of my harness. This works very well because if the glasses get ripped off they don't sink & you can retrieve them by pulling in the line. However ... a couple of years ago I got caught in a monumental looping crash & the Chums were ripped off the glasses by the force of the impact. Glasses gone. Wearing a helmet over the strap definitely helps.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
PullStrings (Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 pm

Same here kitesurfing for 22 years with expensive sunglasses non-Rx wearing soft contacts for distance viewing.
Sure flew off my head in the surf but never lost a pair.....retrieving by hand fishing them back.

Sunglass temples tips are attached tightly with rubber grip strong cord retainer(Croakies brand for me) that you tighten to the head.
Then a the end of that retainer attach a single line made of shoe lace or other about 10 inches that gets tied to the upper center of waist harness.

To do the hole in harness go 1/2 inch below the top using a sharp nail no larger than diameter of the leash line and press through.
Use bowline knot at the retainer and at the harness.

At end of session when back to car have a 1/2 gal of water with you to immediately rinse off sunglasses after removing the temple tips from rubber grips.
Use rest of water to rinse your feet.

Shake all excess water off sunglasses and store in pouch or case. The retainer and mini-leash set-up stays attached on the harness.

The next day or same night do a real cleaning of the lenses so you are ready for next session.

Tip : replace the retainer every few months if you kite a lot because the rubber grip over the temple tips might start to stretch out/loosen/crack.
The rubber grip need to fit quite snug . Wetting a bit the tips of temples should be needed to insert them initially. And difficult to remove at the end of session.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:45 pm
Same here kitesurfing for 22 years with expensive sunglasses non-Rx wearing soft contacts for distance viewing.
Sure flew off my head in the surf but never lost a pair.....retrieving by hand fishing them back.

Sunglass temples tips are attached tightly with rubber grip strong cord retainer(Croakies brand for me) that you tighten to the head.
Then a the end of that retainer attach a single line made of shoe lace or other about 10 inches that gets tied to the upper center of waist harness.

To do the hole in harness go 1/2 inch below the top using a sharp nail no larger than diameter of the leash line and press through.
Use bowline knot at the retainer and at the harness.

At end of session when back to car have a 1/2 gal of water with you to immediately rinse off sunglasses after removing the temple tips from rubber grips.
Use rest of water to rinse your feet.

Shake all excess water off sunglasses and store in pouch or case. The retainer and mini-leash set-up stays attached on the harness.

The next day or same night do a real cleaning of the lenses so you are ready for next session.
My harness has a grab handle on the back so I just tie to that. When I lost my glasses in spite of this, the impact was so intense that the water ripped the rubber retainer grip off the tips of the glasses. I'm currently using Ray Bans - the tips of the arms have a quite wide section that is very hard to push the Chums over ... so I'm assuming it would be very hard for water pressure to pull off!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:03 pm

My polarized copper wrap sunglasses plastic temple tips were 11.0 m.

The retainer could only accept 9.0 mm

Thinned out the temple tips with a fine file for a customized fit.

Also my leash cord from retainer to harness is just long enough for me to bend down and touch my toes without bending the knees.

Leash made with thin dress shoelace because the ends are made of stiff plastic which makes one end easy to poke through small hole punctured in the top of harness.

Plus the shoelace material melts off easily with lighter flame at each ends after trimming when the leash is knotted to the ideal length.

Return to “Kitesurfing”