Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Too many mistakes to list

Forum for kitesurfers
or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Too many mistakes to list

Postby or6 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:30 am

I think you're all (aprt from bigtone) a little hard on the kid. He's what...16? He finished his movie saying: know your limits, and pull your quick release". He's learned that, at least.

There were plenty mistakes to learn from, that's for sure. He's lucky to have gotten away with some scratches.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:31 am

edt wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:50 am
Why didn't you pull your chicken loop?

I didn't think about it because I have never had to pull it before.

You mean you panicked you froze up?

No I've never pulled it before.

He's lucky he's not dead. Didn't seem like he learned anything either.
Haha. Yeah.

He might have been a bit more rattled than he wants to admit on YouTube. So his attempt to justify his behaviour ends up being a bit ridiculous.

Generally speaking I think it is a good thing that kids got that feeling of being invincible and that they try to explore limits. Most of us live long enough without that feeling and maybe having lost that curiosity. That was taking it a step too far though - and I got the same feeling like you - I don't think they necessarily learned much (even if that might be because they are filming it - trying to uphold some sort of image).

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:56 am

wrong conditions
wrong place
wrong kite
wrong handling
wrong person on the bar

good he survived, hopefully he learned his lesson and is not amongst the RIP kiters...
"kiters" like this kid, ruins the image of the sport if something serious would have happened.

do not challenge ur angels, you do not have many in ur life, take this sport seriously its NOT a beachtoy
dude :cool2:

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:25 am

I am wondering why they did not „hot-launch“ the kite...🤪🤪🤪

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:49 pm

I'm not afraid to admit that 'there but for the lack of cameras - go I'. Yep I did that kind of stupid stuff at that age - probably more dangerous actually (who amongst us didn't have firework fights as a youth?). Its just it wasn't on film.

Even when I was a bit older we used to go windsurfing in storm conditions (used to have to wedge the board and the rig under the car to stop it blowing away). I think the strongest wind was maybe 60 mph gusts (the nearest weather station was 85mph but that was certainly stronger) and it was hilarious - because you were out there with your mates.

I think its best not to forget how well you used to 'bounce' as a teenager back when you thought you were invincible. I think the biggest mistake was deciding to publish it.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post (total 3):
jonysan (Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:04 pm) • Bille (Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:07 pm) • cor (Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:45 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:51 pm

I will treat the OP’s question seriously although I understand why many have not:

Some of the biggest lessons to learn imho:

You can cope safely with much more wind afloat than you can on land. Therefore if you are pushing your wind strength limits you want easy access and exit to and from the water.

When launching in strong with an assistant you want instant control. Therefore you should be slightly pushing the assistant before release. In this case the kite was released while flapping - the pilot had no control and should have immediately run upwind with the intention of gaining control and keeping the kite low. DO NOT FLY THE KITE UP OVER YOUR HEAD. The lad would then of had a chance to feel that the kite was too big and return it to the assistant even if on the drag.

PS I suspect having no control at release spooked the kid in the high wind and he stopped thinking clearly from that point.

I could go on.......but I don’t understand what seems to be the modern perspective!!

PPS If you know you are pushing your limits brief your assistants about the abort/contingency plans. Inspect and exercise all safety releases just prior to going for the launch and do not be rushed by anyone.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:52 pm

How the kite behaved reminds me a lot about my first experience with a 5 strut in really powered conditions. I landed the kite straight away and checked if something was connected wrong, disconnected my lines and checked if they are uneven - which was not the case. The kite just needed more of a firm hand. The kid was really lucky and probably learned his lesson and to be honest, go to any crowded spot when it is 20-30 knots and you'll see dumber things happen ...

cdbxyz
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: North West UK
Gear: Core Nexus 2, Nobile NHP, Firewire Evo

Postby cdbxyz » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:56 pm

standard yellow Cabrinha noob

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:32 pm

Saw a big yellow Cabrihna kite. Paused the video, got the popcorn! Wasn't disappointed. :cool2:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:35 pm

Not sure that is standard, I have seen them come in much bigger sizes!

Return to “Kitesurfing”