Tether Launch - strong wind

Forum for kitesurfers
Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tether Launch - strong wind

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:03 pm

I agree with most of the above - going deeper in the window can help, but in windy conditions (appx 30 knots) the kite is likely to move around - as noted the best advice is to set the kite up, check the lines are free/straight/no debris fouling them, then wait for the wind to stabilise (i.e. don't let go in a gust), then using a flat palm on the upper facing middle line, push it down to tension the line to stop the kite lifting - then run back fast, hook into the chicken loop, attach the safety & unclip from the tether (I use a large climbing carabiner - without a screw gate). I was doing this consistently for a week in 30+ knots and was lucky it went well. But make sure that the object you're tethering to can potentially withstand a powered loop.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:24 pm

Herman wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:43 am

Green turtle, interesting that you are successfully using sand. I might experiment in the summer when not launching on the wet stuff.
I set kite at window edge where it naturally wants to settle, maybe just a tiny bit deeper, then scoop sand into wingtip until it stops bouncing (without overdoing it) , then run up to bar keeping hand on front line. After im hooked in / tether is disconnected, I take some steps in the direction the kite is pointing so that it is then deeper in window, that gives more steering response/power to break free of the sand to launch. At that point I fly it towards zenith enough to make sure all the sand has spilled out.

Of course this doesn’t work for tether self-LANDING. I will re-tether and just hope for the best and run up keeping hand on front line. I also often instead use the upper front line pull method to land it le face down into wind, preferably in some kind of wind shadow if its a strong wind situation. But if its nuking and Im sketched out about landing in any other way, and there isn’t a convenient wind shadow to take advantage of, I will lower the kite down into the waters edge and dump the release, letting the small shore break waves catch it for me and running up to grab it quick. Unfortunately this leaves a wet kite to deal with, but at least in my experience, I find it works out safely.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:45 pm

Run.

Holding the top line forward helps as you run to/from the kite. The reality is with running the kit only needs to bounce around for 20- 30 seconds.

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:44 am

Herman wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:43 am
Nice vid RedSky. Either your kites happen to sit on a tip better than mine or I am talking more powered conditions. Really this is mostly about what I would describe as overpowered on small kites for a TT @ ~ 100kg. With power I am happy to buggy with you don’t get a lot of bounce.

Green turtle, interesting that you are successfully using sand. I might experiment in the summer when not launching on the wet stuff.
Thanks! Yeah the kite in the video will fold in strong wind ( edited out ) while tethered which nicely prevents bouncing. :D I've had plenty of bounce in the Fuels I used to ride, sometimes they would take off by themselves and land on the other side of the window. So I'd say it might be a C thing.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:32 pm

"PS for well powered big kites I may tether to top of trim strap"

Now that's an idea! Will try it thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”