Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:59 pm

Carlos_C wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:09 am
Not seen any reviews but Gong have a range of short boards - with strap options - at really low prices - 450 eu.......am tempted as wont get much use as London doesn't have many wave spots

https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... al-fsp-2x/
You don't necessarily need waves to enjoy the feel of a surfboard. Having more front foot pressure, significant "bite" from the finset, and more carving feel, gives you a completely different perspective.

Give it a shot for that price. And let us know your first impressions.

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Postby 1234567Simon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:44 pm

Double Post, sorry
Last edited by 1234567Simon on Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:45 pm

Dear all, thanks again for all Ideas.

I have checked almost all of the boards mentioned. I read and Watched plenty of Tests.

My conclusion, I do not need a Fish–Typ of Board (too wide and too much Volume.)

I will get a pure kitesurf board. Something like the Fone Mitu 5.2 or some small RRD like the Maquina or Barracuda. All three pretty narrow (some 17 1/2 for the max), and low Volume (20liter).

Right now I am trying to figure out the Differences for the Mitu.... they say same shape for all models, but that is not true, if I Check the Channel in Front.... but that is another toppic.

Also I do not want to spend too much, as I do not know if it is the Perfect Board.

Thx again
BR
Simon

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:00 pm

Just to let you know, dont think that a small narrow SB is going to be good at getting upwind.

I was extremely disappointed on all of the narrower boards I rode up until I purchased a more modern kitesurf specific SB. And even then I could beat that board upwind with a large TT.

Lots of us have discovered the "light wind lie" that all SB's were supposed to be good at it. They are not.

Rounded rails mean less effective width and less "bite". more nose rocker means less effective length. And fins are an extremely effecient at generating upwind force, but only at high speed.

So be careful about going too small. Bit if you do have problems getting up wind on your first SB, stick with it and see if you like the "feel" of a SB, and go bigger/flatter/harder rails, bigger fins on your next SB.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
1234567Simon (Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster

Postby 1234567Simon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:49 pm

Maybe, I suppose you are right.

Right now I have got a big board (Celero 5.8. ): goes upwind like made, but does not turn for me...

So, I prefer to go the complete opposite way to try out maximum playfull and agil, with the least amount of foot pressure necessary to make it turning

Again, I do not need a board for light wind. If it is light wind, I have zero Waves.

Right now, from aprox 14kn I use my 7m on my Directional. 😊

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:11 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:49 pm

Right now I have got a big board (Celero 5.8. ): goes upwind like made, but does not turn for me...

So, I prefer to go the complete opposite way to try out maximum playfull and agil, with the least amount of foot pressure necessary to make it turning

Again, I do not need a board for light wind. If it is light wind, I have zero Waves.

If you can find one that is not full of water, the 2011 or 2012 North (now duotone) "Whip" was the snappiest board ever. It was a quad only fin config, and stock fins on the 5'-8" were perfect, though not really the best at getting upwind. The diamond tail made me fall in love with that shape, though I use a fish now.

The ride was what I would describe as "epileptic", just ready to shoot off at a moment's notice if you weren't giving it some input. It also was the first quad I ever rode that seemed to initiate a turn before you actually committed to it - like it could read your mind.

One day, I'd like to get the board back from the guy I gave it to, and make a another near copy, just with only an inch of thickness (maybe only 3/4"), harder rails further forward, and bolt on fins so I can ride it shallow.

So look for a quad. I just quit looking for excitement on a thruster outside of double overhead waves.

jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),

Postby jonysan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:30 pm

Hi Simon, Great choice for a board ! you could look for a 5'2. 5'4. or possibly a 5'6 in a Mitu. not sure if there are hull differences in the three construction types, there are certainly differences in hull shapes year to year, but all work well. don't worry too much about all this 'getting upwind' talk. you will be surprised how high you can point once you get the hang of it, (turn your body, and look upwind to where you want to go) . p.s. a Quad will always go up wind well, it has more grip on either side, not Rocket science !
These users thanked the author jonysan for the post:
1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:10 am)

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:59 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:11 pm
1234567Simon wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:49 pm

If you can find one that is not full of water, the 2011 or 2012 North (now duotone) "Whip" was the snappiest board ever. It was a quad only fin config, and stock fins on the 5'-8" were perfect, though not really the best at getting upwind. The diamond tail made me fall in love with that shape, though I use a fish now.

The ride was what I would describe as "epileptic", just ready to shoot off at a moment's notice if you weren't giving it some input. It also was the first quad I ever rode that seemed to initiate a turn before you actually committed to it - like it could read your mind.

One day, I'd like to get the board back from the guy I gave it to, and make a another near copy, just with only an inch of thickness (maybe only 3/4"), harder rails further forward, and bolt on fins so I can ride it shallow.

So look for a quad. I just quit looking for excitement on a thruster outside of double overhead waves.
Hello Matteo, I would be interested on your thoughts on the 2012 North Whip. I still have the board and used it a lot (strapped) but I could never understand the strap placement on that board, for me it only works if I put both straps at the very back position and even then I wish I could put them even further back. I am 92Kg, have ridden other directional before. I always thought the strap positioning was a design error, did you feel the same or have different thoughts? Maybe I can squeeze more fun out of that board.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:15 pm

sarc wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:59 am
Hello Matteo, I would be interested on your thoughts on the 2012 North Whip. I still have the board and used it a lot (strapped) but I could never understand the strap placement on that board, for me it only works if I put both straps at the very back position and even then I wish I could put them even further back. I am 92Kg, have ridden other directional before. I always thought the strap positioning was a design error, did you feel the same or have different thoughts? Maybe I can squeeze more fun out of that board.
I'll PM you on this, but send me a pic so we are sure we are talking about the exact year. I'm pretty sure I did start off with middle placement of the straps, then I put the rear strap the furthest back and the front furthest forward. By the time I had broken and repaired the board twice, I was settling in on wider/looser straps on all my kitesurfboards. This board was also the one that began to change my approach to quads and strapped kitesurfboards. I am kind of remembering adding an insert on one of the repairs, but at that stage in my experience, I was doing that on almost every board I had mostly to widen/loosen the straps and not just move them.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:10 pm

2012 North whip 5.7', I'll PM you a pic of strap placement.
Yes I ride like you, loose straps and what I love about the board is the way I bottom turn, BURY the rail with body leaning waaay into the turn chest over the water and back foot pressure and the board shoots out of the turn at full speed, then bury the other rail for the cutback and send huge spray out (I don't like tail slides). Waveriding you are pulling G's all the time but using the wave power, not using the kite. Loads of fun.
Picture1.jpg
Picture1.jpg (30.34 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
These users thanked the author sarc for the post:
1234567Simon (Sat May 29, 2021 1:11 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”