Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Forum for kitesurfers
1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting
Brand Affiliation: None

Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Postby 1234567Simon » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Dear all,
I am looking for a directional kite Wave Board for small, imperfect, mushy Waves. (WITH STRAPS)

No matter if fully onshore, or Sidedhore.

All Boards I found, and were advised to me, are also recommended as light wind Boards.

I DO NOT LOOK FOR A LIGHTWIND BOARD.

I would use it from 5m to 12 (so aprox. from 11kn to 25). Always enough wind, also to have fun with a normal small twinTip.

Right now I have a celero 5‘8“.
I really enjoy it, and the 5‘8“ is said to fit my body weight (72kg /160pound).
I newer had the feeling it is too small, but I always have the feeling it could be smaller. Really nice on wide long turns...

Again, 7m kite with enough power for me, with ankle to hip high waves (yes right: waves up to aprox. 1,00meter wave-faces) - if they are not even breaking with whitewater.... I do not care... I still want to “pretend“ I am riding waves...🤷‍♂️

Maybe you have got an Idea.

Thanks

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Postby naishdude » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:07 pm

have a look at the Airush directionals....
I have a 2015 Airush Cypher 5'8 you could do with a 5'4 it would be perfect ( carbon board) pity it is not made anymore...one of the best boards in my quiver &2 to 9m kite then I got smaller board but had it a long time as one board only
These users thanked the author naishdude for the post:
1234567Simon (Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:55 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:42 pm

I like your honest relieving post.

I ride with straps also now, a few years strapless was used, but made no sense really, so around here almost noone ride strapless - no advantages, only disadvantages really, unless you are bored and want to make it more difficult for some odd reason...

Wont get into that now though :wink:

I have been riding RB63 boards since 2006-7, Ralf Bachschuster that is, have got many boards over the years, made on my requests and wishes, combined with Ralf's experience.

He lives and rides mostly around CapeTown,

Usually I get the rockerline and tailkick flattened just a bit - works so much better here in "Euro" waves, so you can use a small board in high winds, and not feeling slow or draggy like if made for steep perfect waves only, where you wont notice this.

So we have shared shapes and experiences for many years, and now I got a perfect quiver for our waves in Denmark, but still change shape slightly on occasion.

You are dutch - you could contact him and when possible again take a trip to CT and get your board, and ride in perfect conditions.

Our "Euro" shapes works just great down there too, it is actually the other way around, a board made for good conditions might suck in small sometimes more onshore euro trash waves :roll:

IMO strapped and strapless boards are two different kinds - thus some who ride with straps, really well, can make much better boards in this respect.

Just one idea, out of many.
Around here, a lightwind waveboard day means a 9 max 10 m2 kite, as otherwise way more fun wingfoiling or kitefoiling in waves.

5 or 6 or 7 m2 kites are the typical waveboard days all over in Denmark, so no, lightwind waveboards are not really used here either, as so many better options than wasting your time with this :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
1234567Simon (Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:56 am)

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:36 pm

There are some real good deals on liquid force Moon Patrol and Spacecraft floating around
These users thanked the author kct for the post:
1234567Simon (Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:55 am)

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:14 am

I'm a fan of the duotone whip for fun in small conditions. It is super playful and slashy and you can throw some spray off of the ankle-high stuff. I'm not sure they still have holes for straps in 2021, but earlier models do. You can go very small on the size if you're not worried about low end volume.
These users thanked the author Eduardo for the post:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:53 am

1234567Simon wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:50 pm
Again, 7m kite with enough power for me, with ankle to hip high waves (yes right: waves up to aprox. 1,00meter wave-faces) - if they are not even breaking with whitewater.... I do not care... I still want to “pretend“ I am riding waves...🤷‍♂️
You should definitely demo an Ocean Rodeo Jester, I would describe it as "the ultimate lake surfboard". It needs kite power to be fun and it slashes little waves very well but can't actually surf properly. I've never ridden it with straps myself but it's designed to be used with or without and a lot of people do ride it with straps. It eats chop and is also great for strapless airs (not that you'd care). It's good for travel at just under 5'2" as well.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:02 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Dear all,
I am looking for a directional kite Wave Board for small, imperfect, mushy Waves. (WITH STRAPS)
Here are 10 board options that meet your criteria above exactly. Note: These boards are designed for Small Wave riding, but when used without straps they also lend well to Strapless Freestyle. However these are NOT dedicated freestyle boards like the Duotone Voke or the North Comp as examples.

Cabrinha X-Breed
Brunotti Biscuit
F-One Slice (bamboo + flex)
Duotone Whip
Naish Skater
North Cross
RRD Cotan
Slingshot Sci-Fly
Takoon Snack
Zeeko Airwave

Based on your weight, consider 5'2-5'4 sizes. :thumb:
Last edited by Da Yoda on Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:28 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Dear all,

No matter if fully onshore, or Sidedhore.

All Boards I found, and were advised to me, are also recommended as light wind Boards.

I DO NOT LOOK FOR A LIGHTWIND BOARD.

I would use it from 5m to 12 (so aprox. from 11kn to 25). Always enough wind, also to have fun with a normal small twinTip.

Right now I have a celero 5‘8“.
I really enjoy it, and the 5‘8“ is said to fit my body weight (72kg /160pound).
I newer had the feeling it is too small, but I always have the feeling it could be smaller. Really nice on wide long turns...

Maybe you have got an Idea.

Thanks
I'm 160lbs. Use a 2016 North 5'2" Whip. Super fun, one board quiver! Fast, early planing, great upwind. Loves long wide carving or snapping off the lips. Easily goes vertically up the wave.

Riding mostly strapped in head high or smaller freshwater waves at home. Also had a blast in double overhead saltwater in Hatteras.

The board is great strapless too. A little heavy for strapless freestyle though. But the construction can handle boosting strapped 25-30 foot jumps.

Riding mostly onshore to sideon(DTL) conditions.

I use it with 6m and 9m wave kites in about 12 to 30+ knots. If guys are riding TT parked on 12m-13m kites I'm riding upwind on the Whip on my 9m.

No waves here in those light wind conditions though so I'm foiling these days. I would probably go a size smaller Whip if I had to replace it now.
These users thanked the author zerogee_ca for the post:
1234567Simon (Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:57 am)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:59 pm

I might be wrong, but I dont think many of you understand what the desire is?

Most boards are too wide, some are for strapless and often even more useless, more square and straight edges, or simply wider, or too light (fragile) or no inserts, and if, they are just put on afterwards, so the board is not "designed" for straps initially.

These are typical strapless or euro waveboards, made bigger and wider for euro waves.

But for some, they dont work well when windy, at all, in small waves :roll:

Yes you can ride with a size smaller kite, and make it work, but when windy some of us want a smaller strapped board as it often works soooo much better.

I guess this is what Simon seeks, but could be wrong, I know.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
1234567Simon (Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:57 am)

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:00 am

Of course you will get lots of ‘my favorite’ which is kind of what you asked
Mine is a FireWire Tomo , either
Vader @ 5’1”
Evo @ 4’10”

Really fun quick boards even in slop but you have to add straps with the NSI pads. They work great as well.
Have fun demoing as many as you can.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
1234567Simon (Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:58 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”