Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Postby Matteo V » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:48 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:30 pm
Ha haa, dont go into the strapless hype, it is bull for many riders and locations....
Definetly look into strapless if you want to not go as "full on". A thruster also helps here. Strapless really limits you and helps you stick within the confines of prone surfing while kiting. And it is way easier on your body.

You can take it easy with a quad and straps, but you actually won't have the limits. Very quickly you will be doing things you could never do while prone surfing. And you will realize that having a wider performance envelope with straps and a quad, will demand more from your body.

To each thier own......or rather - sort through the hype for yourself.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
1234567Simon (Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Directional with straps for small Waves / Not for lightwind, not for freestyle

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:24 pm

Agree that a strapped small quad is superb, then add sharp rails and bingo, you have an old school mutant !!
These users thanked the author Robsw6 for the post:

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:48 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:17 pm
My resume:
Most boards for small waves also have this light Wind character.... and this is exactly not what I want.
Most of them are pretty wide (over 18inch / 46cm) with s wide tail.

So actually now I am searching a normal shortboard with maximum of being 18inch /46cm wide. With max 22liters ..
For trad (normal) shapes, here are some perfect options at or under 18" and 22L volume, with the exception of the JL board volume.
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 5'4
F-One Mitu 5'2
Slingshot Celero FR 5'0 ('20 model)

If you like the compact shapes, then the F-One Slice 5'1 would be my recommendation due to the wing/diamond tail shape. I prefer a more pulled-in tail as well. Currently my favorite production compact board is the Eleveight Escape 5'1, but it's strapless only, so I'm not recommending it.

The Ocean Rodeo Duke 5'4 would really be the only other option that I can think of.

FCD does have their Blunt 5'2 (compact) that you can have them install inserts for straps. Same for their Shrike 5'4, you just need to contact them. :thumb:
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:55 pm

Also the Cabrinha X breed 5’1 ( 5’1” x 17.9 ) is a great board - i have the foil version, making it a perfect holiday board for 10 to 40 knots

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:55 am

1234567Simon wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:28 pm
I fully understand.... Probably not very usual what I am doing.
Maybe my Celero 5‘8“ is just too big for me... it‘s soooo much work getting the turns tight.

Below I put a small pic of a big day at one off my Covid Alternativ spots. The waves are super Super high in the pic.

Usually after two hours of jumping around with a twin Tip, I get another kite two sizes smaller for wave riding.

Maybe if I get better, I will change to strapless, but right now I, I only see advantages with straps, except for the 5sec longer I need for the foot switching.

Again, thanks a lot for the input and Ideas.

And usually I am happy to have some other kiters around 😉

Br Simon
914AB73E-2CDE-437A-BE9D-8D6F7404BBC0.jpeg
Matteo V wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:02 pm
I am still a little perplexed on your style.

Why are you not going strapless? I mean small waves, no freestyle, and you prone surf?

I am definetly a proponent of shorter wider strapped boards while kiting. With straps, these boards can do every condition/wave from the big stuff on the outside, to the secondarys, to the mush .5m that makes it's way into the tide pool, to a (stupidly dangerous) trick on the way out of the tide pool, to boosting or rolls off the whitewater, to rolls off of a near breaking face, to taking another secondary back in if another kiter in a wave blocks your way out, to screaming upwind for to get away from the crowd coming down the line.

I get the impression you want to focus on only one aspect of the kitesurfing experience. If that is the case, I'd say go strapless.

But if you stick with straps, go wider with the board and try to use all the things the ocean throws you.
Perhaps, all you need is a looser fin set on your current board?? Sometimes its the fins that can make or break a good board.

My last board was a 2011 5'8" North WAM and I preferred to ride it with quad fins. Very snappy board with a fun ride similar to my WHIP (thruster setup). But, I have tried quads that were exhausting to ride. They felt like I was not big enough to throw them around. I had the same experience with some thrusters too.

I think if the fin cluster are closer together on the board you can get a looser ride whether quad or thruster setup.
These users thanked the author zerogee_ca for the post:
1234567Simon (Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:12 pm)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:27 pm

This is the board.
https://www.naishkites.com/product/global/

Naish. Global. It is fast, furious and you can pretty much throw any amount of speed or power at it. It is also the board I just cannot live without. It can handle anything from ankle snappers to massive 30ft waves. I ride mine with footstraps and I love it.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:25 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:48 pm
The Ocean Rodeo Duke 5'4 would really be the only other option that I can think of.
Don't get the Duke, for your weight and what you enjoy doing the Jester is pretty much perfect.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Robsw6 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:29 pm

tautologies wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:27 pm
This is the board.
https://www.naishkites.com/product/global/

Naish. Global. It is fast, furious and you can pretty much throw any amount of speed or power at it. It is also the board I just cannot live without. It can handle anything from ankle snappers to massive 30ft waves. I ride mine with footstraps and I love it.
The Global is a great board, but sadly no longer made in 5ft & for properly big/fast waves (eg One Eye) I found the larger/older 5’5 Global (Quad), was just about ok (whereas it is perfect for the UK), but lacked the speed & control of a dedicated big wave board (Such as the Pro Session or S-Quad).

Wehavethewind
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Southend, various south coast
Favorite Beaches: West Wittering
Southend
Diani - Kenya
Style: Freeride
Gear: RRD Obsession 7
Airrush DNA 10
LF Envy 12
Been thanked: 0

Postby Wehavethewind » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:57 pm

If you wanted to go down the mutant route you might consider the Slingshot Supernatural?

Actually if anyone has any views on this board would be great to hear, looks intriguing and there are very few reviews.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:07 am

Wehavethewind wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:57 pm
If you wanted to go down the mutant route you might consider the Slingshot Supernatural?

Actually if anyone has any views on this board would be great to hear, looks intriguing and there are very few reviews.
I saw it when Sam was doing a shoot with it - its very much at the TT end of the spectrum (similar to the Cabrinha & a few others), & not really what I would describe as a true mutant, ie not really proper nose & tail rocker & x4 TT fins at one end will provide a bit more grip, but not compared with x2 larger dolphin fins & x2 large TT style fins

Return to “Kitesurfing”