2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Reduce wind noise and ear protection

Postby Chicken-loop » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:49 am

I had the Surf Ears when they first came out ($70 AUD) and persisted with them for 6 months. I found they leaked and moved. Once water got in the sound was greatly reduced anyway. I guess hydrophobic mesh wasn't as water proof as advertised. I see they are now are up to version 3.0, hopefully they are good now. That was just my experience

I still recommend the Doc proplugs, while they seem less comfortable as first, I think they probably provide better protection against ear drum rupture, have a flush fit and come without holes or with holes to enhance hearing. .

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:51 pm

I do have a Doc test set. Meaning all sizes combined.

Lost all of them for my size.

Resorted to cheap foam which I cut in half or even 1/3.

Works well and reusable. Hearing is not a problem and have no infections any more.

Sometimes dirt cheap option is the best.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:46 pm

I have broken my ear drum as many times and I can promise you any ear protection works. Mp3 ear buds docs foam silicon. go ahead and use anything you want it doesn't matter there is absolutely no reason to think that something in your ear would cause problems anything you use will help protect your ears. I use docs pro plugs but use whatever you find convenient. Even mp3 earbuds! They all provide great protection from both broken eardrums and surfers ear. It sucks needing to take a month or two off the water because your ear is messed up.

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:29 pm

$3 Tyr are the best ear plugs I've used. So comfortable and they never pop out.

MattyM
Medium Poster
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses

Postby MattyM » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:47 pm

I have surfer's ear, so have tried just about every 'keeping water out' plug on the market.

I personally think Surf Ears are the best off-the-shelf plug if the entrance to your ear canal is nearly circular. If like me yours are oval or 'slit' shaped, the Docs will be a better fit (although they won't keep as much water out unless you are extremely lucky with a match between Doc's and your ears.

But you said you wanted to reduce noise - so neither of the above really do that, as they are designed to let sound in.

If you want to reduce noise, there are a range of acoustic earplugs available that do that - not my issue so won't comment on those.

However, the best possible of all options to reduce noise and keep out the cold water (surfers ear kicks in about 18 degrees or below) is custom moulds. Unless you're incredibly lucky, nothing will come close to these as they fit your ears perfectly. I use these now. They reduce a lot of noise, but not everything, and don't affect my balance at all. (And by custom, I mean getting them made professionally, not those kits you can buy).

Silicone plugs will keep all water out but only if they are applied perfectly dry and you get a perfect seal - they work by adhesion around the canal entrance rather than blocking the canal itself. Once any water gets between you and the plug they lose their stickiness and are completely hopeless. If you use silicone, I suggest you keep some surf ears or docs on a leash in the top of your wetsuit to bung in whilst on the water for when the silicone ones fail - as they usually do.

And if any of you kite in cold water, for crying out loud wear plugs. Getting drilled aint much fun.

Return to “Kitesurfing”