Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to repair Naish Octopus female part?

Forum for kitesurfers
Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How to repair Naish Octopus female part?

Postby Topaz » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:47 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:40 am
Now I'm confused....
the valve is NOT inside the bladder.
I swear that the ones that I repaired were glued from the inside
@edt and I may have had different experiences. The kites in which I had to repair the female valves where a 2010 Torch and a 2011 Park. Maybe Naish started to glue the females valves from the outside at some point? I don't know.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:24 pm

Hmm. In any case the procedure is the same pull off the old valve and restick a new one from the outside

direnc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Soul 10/12, Edge 9/11, Ride 10, Cult 7.5, Zephyr, Mako, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:13 pm

I had many Naish kites in the past, and still have three.
Naish female valves are indeed stuck on from the inside of the bladder. I fixed them using Dr. Tuba replacement valves from the outside. They have double sided tearaid and are easy to apply.
I have also fixed them with aquasure. For that I slit the other tip of the bladder, reversed it, glued on the valve, reversed the bladder, and then glued the end of the bladder.
I know a friend that manages to glue them from the outside too.
BTW, as other posters mentioned, gluing them back on may not really be an option if the kite is quite old. The naish female/male valves are prone to cracking. I meant to glue mine back on. But they cracked while I set some weight on them to make them flatter...
Then after I fixed all the females, the kite deflated the first session I used it. Cracked males... Replaced them.... Then I had to reglue all dump valves and the inflate valve too. Unless you redo them all, be prepared for surprises and missed sessions... This was on a 7.5m 2010 Cult. Ended up costing a lot more than I anticipated. The valves are worth more then the kite itself. Be ready to redo them all for piece of mind. Another option is to convert it to multi pump. Or just call it a loss and get another kite with more reliable valves...

I now have a 2012 Torch 11 with the same problem... And a 2012 Naish Ride 12 that had it's first delamination at the deflate valve...

BTW, if you are looking for more affordable valves, there are naked (no tearaid) valves that cost one third of the others...

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer

Postby edt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:21 pm

Ever male and female I've tried to restick has failed. But the strut valves I think are ok to restick. I haven't had a problem with those failing a second time. If you want to keep the octopus on these old kites you have to keep the costs low I think, as a dozen valves can exceed the value of the kite.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:48 pm

direnc wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:13 pm
.... Or just call it a loss and get another kite with more reliable valves...
You nailed it! That's by far the best option.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:45 pm

Or get a new naish since the octopus is gone.

rickybobbyalex
Rare Poster
Style: Survival
Gear: Epic renegade
Blade trigger
Naish Ride
LF
Been thanked: 0

Postby rickybobbyalex » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:16 am

Hello everyone,

As the female bit looks quite yellow and beyond its prime, I'll get a new stick-on one I think. Don't feel confident enough to get cutting in there.
Strangely other valves look pretty good, kites still feels crispy so might get lucky.

Thanks everyone for chiming in here.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:21 am

Good luck and fingers crossed. If it does not work out there are advantages for multi pump kites. They are lighter and you can run the struts at a higher pressure than the LÊ.

For small waves kites I would actually choose multi pump with good NR valves if I had a choice! Even the Valve’s non return qualities become less important with a bit of bung practice.

NorthernKitesAu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 84
Local Beach: Townsville, QLD
Favorite Beaches: Altona, VIC
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Peter Lynn Arcs, Flysurfer, Ozone, everything
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn

Postby NorthernKitesAu » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:52 am

Get rid of Octopus valves. Utterly painful to repair. Just use the depower valve as a pump valve (may need to attach a tube extension with a pinch-clamp), and close off the holes on the bladders and LE. For the LE I use a smooth piece of thin plastic that just covers the area of the strut joined with the LE. It won't move anywhere, won't pinch bladders and certainly won't allow the bladder to pop through. No need to sew or glue, except for the bladder holes (tear aid A).

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:54 am

NorthernKitesAu wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:52 am
Get rid of Octopus valves. Utterly painful to repair. Just use the depower valve as a pump valve (may need to attach a tube extension with a pinch-clamp), and close off the holes on the bladders and LE. For the LE I use a smooth piece of thin plastic that just covers the area of the strut joined with the LE. It won't move anywhere, won't pinch bladders and certainly won't allow the bladder to pop through. No need to sew or glue, except for the bladder holes (tear aid A).
Yeah that's the way to go. But there's always this wild hope that if you just replace that one broken female valve you can get another year out of the kite without having to do the conversion. worth a shot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”