Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

12m Aluula Flite

Forum for kitesurfers
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

12m Aluula Flite

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:33 pm

a few questions..
Does anyone know whether it has a bladder zipper on it ?
I vaguely remember someone saying they might be getting a heavy duty bladder material ? has this happened or is it the thin standard one ?

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 12m Aluula Flite

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:48 pm

These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post (total 3):
ShaveTheWhales (Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:58 pm) • leeuwen (Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:07 pm) • Grizwald (Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:19 am)
Rating: 9.09%

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:23 pm

Cool to see that Ocean Rodeo certainly had some challenges along the way that needed new solutions.
That would maybe also partly explain that we are still not seeing other brands with aluula kites (assuming there is actually enough aluula available for other brands)
They needed new ways of stitching, new needles, and also this bladder construction.

Although other brands have it a bit easier with examples out there I guess it will take a significant effort to get into this new material.

HurlyBurly
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride TT, Foiling, Strapless
Gear: Shinn Bronq, Shinn Monk, LF Galaxy with SS Space Skate foil, North Whip, Naish Pivots, Naish Boxer, OR Flite
Has thanked: 0

Postby HurlyBurly » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:08 pm

And did you all notice that the kite he was using for this demo was a 10m Rise Aluula (5 strut). Appears to perhaps be a test model as it looked to have about 5 attachment options for each of the front lines.
These users thanked the author HurlyBurly for the post:
iriejohn (Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:32 pm

To put it to bed:

1. No zipper
2. Standard bladders
3. The Rise is the 5 strut open C-ish kite seen in other videos doing kite loops too. It's a long way off though as they are still prototyping and refining
4. Don't know if there is enough Aluula to get to other brands, but companies are having a harder time prototyping, building, and testing kites as the supply chain and travel restrictions are still slower than before the rona.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:20 pm

Well for the price - I was expecting the bladder - if no Zipper - to be 1st class Strong like some other brands, not standard thin weight saving, after all its not a race kite..
I'll pass until it gets beefed up or come with an Option for one.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:10 am

Hey Shave, what brands have 1st class strong bladders?

BrunoC
Medium Poster
Local Beach: OBX
Style: Freeride
Gear: various
Has thanked: 0

Postby BrunoC » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:19 am

ShaveTheWhales wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:20 pm
Well for the price - I was expecting the bladder - if no Zipper - to be 1st class Strong like some other brands, not standard thin weight saving, after all its not a race kite..
I'll pass until it gets beefed up or come with an Option for one.
I’ve never had an OR bladder fail except for the one time I self launched right through broken glass. That put a 3” cut through the leading edge so it wasn’t really a bladder problem.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:08 am

People who dont know what strong bladders look and feel like - as well as another never heard of an OR kite leak air - and you guys know about kiting huh.
Its all about the PRICE - Regardless of brand, if im paying top dollar - I expect the complete package !
f I want standard - Ill spend half that amount on a brand new Standard kite..

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:07 am

Huh.
The ocean rodeo bladders/valves/onepump-bits that I have experience with on the 2016,2017 kites at least, are as good as you will find imo. Certainly better than some others that regularly make the headlines on here with onepump nipple connections that crack, or valves that delam way before their time. The lighter-than-average bladders in my standard (dacron le) flites have been great, a selling point for me. no way would I want to add weight to them

No idea what thickness they are using for these bladders in the aluula kites, and no idea how you can tell either, but, I personally would choose the lightest offered, if given choice, considering weight savings is the entire point of paying up for aluula, and since bladders are a significant portion of the overall weight. (Don’t get me wrong, the price is um, yeah, high. Would be nice to see revolutionary bladder material that is both indestructible and super light, but, maybe next time).

As far as a zipper...not sure what to make of that, not as convenient, but apparently its not necessary if your kite uses a big inflate valve, and one less potential failure point- may make that a fair trade. A 2012 rally I had did eject its zipper car somehow without being tomahawked or anything, leaving me without my midsize kite for a bit which was, somewhat annoying.

Return to “Kitesurfing”