Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Edge v11

Forum for kitesurfers
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Edge v11

Postby Havre » Mon May 02, 2022 3:55 pm

That is cool. My Enduro 12m is a bit of a nightmare at 30 knots - and I am 100kg+- (not the most skilled rider, but I do like to ride with power).

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue May 10, 2022 12:49 pm

Received my Edges at around 15:00 yesterday and was on the water at 17:30 :D

I'm not a very good kiter so don't want to give the impression that I know a lot about the subtle details between kites, but first impression was great (only used the 13m).

Not a fast turning kite of course, but a lot better than the Rebel I have ridden earlier (I have never tested the Rebel SLS - so that might be as good or better). Felt really fast in terms of speed - so very easy to get up to speed if you want to load it hard for jumping. A lot easier to keep the pressure in the harness when jumping than the Enduro. Extremely stable canopy - better than any other kite I have ever ridden. Not the ridiculous yank you get from the Rebel, but the float felt great when jumping - and in the smaller sizes I could see this kite being amazing to jump old school with.

So basically as expected - and based on that first impression a great great kite for heavier riders wanting to jump "old school" (I love my Enduros, but they are in my opinion more suited for riders at 80kg and less - or something). As mentioned I don't know the Rebel SLS (or XR7 or Orbit), but vs. the "normal" Rebel it gives you a bit more turning speed, but slightly less yank (I love the Rebel yank, but I "longer term" I would probably prefer the more smooth jumping, relatively speaking, you get from an Edge).

I was the only one in Norway who pre-ordered the Edge v11 - so if you see an Edge v11 on the water in Norway be aware that is probably an unvaccinated kiter riding - so keep your distance :D
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Archer77 (Tue May 10, 2022 4:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:35 pm

I guess we all tend to love our new equipment - so take it for what it is worth. Also I have not been able to demo any of the other new kites in the same segment so I can't compare the Edge with the newest XR7, Orbit, Rebel etc. Might very well be that I would have enjoyed a different kite more of course.

There are no surprises to me with this kite - it does what you expect from a new big air 5 struts kite. I had high expectations, but I think it might even be slightly better than I thought.

My "muscle memory" is now starting to getting used to the Edge vs. the Enduro which I was mostly riding before. So the timing in my jumps aren't where they used to be, but it is getting better. Jumping higher there are a couple of things I have experienced since my last post. Hang-time is ridiculous on this kite. It doesn't drift well of course, but yesterday I had a couple of bad landings with me crashing while the kite is at 12. The Enduro would basically never stall crashing like that - while the Rebel will (at least before the SLS which I haven't tried). The Edge was surprisingly close to the Enduro. It started to stall a couple of times, but I was quite easily able to save it. I also fixed my lines since my previous post as I noticed I was getting a bit tired in my left hand - which probably was me compensating lines not being exactly equal length. Now with good lines the bar pressure even on a 13m is surprisingly comfortable. This is of course a personal preference thing, but to me they seemed to have nailed it. You can feel your kite, but without getting tired. Of course when you get "tired" will depend on your physical condition etc. For me both while in the air and crashing it is enough bar pressure there so that you know where the kite is - which is perfect. It also moves upwind very very very well.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to test my 9m yet as the wind here is very often between 15 and 20 knots. Yesterday we more or less had bang on 20 knots (got two installed anemometers at two different positions at the spot so you can know with a fair bit of certainty what kind of conditions you have been kiting at). Not very gusty, but this kite handles gust excellently. It will be interesting to see how far up I can take the 13m, but certainly a lot more than 20 knots. Ozone homepage indicates around 22 knots at 80kg. My guess is that it will be most fun at around 25 knots for me. Also the wind died at the end of the session down to 13.5 knots and I was able to get back without really losing much height. And I saw quite a few 12 meters going in before me - so even if I don't think the low end is fantastic - it seems quite decent. You wouldn't buy this to go low wind on a TT anyway. It isn't super slow like the old Rebel, but it isn't effortless like the Enduro building up power by moving the kite around either.

Can't wait to get out with the 9. With the Enduro the 9 is by far my favourite so if the 13 is this good....

Would be really cool to hear what others think of their V11.
zlatko23 (Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:22 pm)

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:10 pm

I can compare edge to the following same category kites: XR(the latest), boost, XS(2nd latest), nitro4, nrg, p1, draft, rebel(latest), switchblade(3 years old) and hyper.
They are all good kites (I'm a fan of high AR 5 strut flat profile kites) and I was most impressed by XR and edge. But it's always what things you like, bar pressure, turning speed etc.
Edge might be slower turning than others from the same category but it doesn't matter to me. Hangtime and wind range(edge's high end is crazy) are more important to me.

This week gusts hit 19 m/s (anemometer is located high and shows 2 m/s too much - but still 17 m/s) and I had 11m edge trimmed full power and it was great
These users thanked the author jyka for the post:
Havre (Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:38 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:43 pm

Really looking forward to see how far I can take my 13m. Right now it feels like a combination of 13 and 9 will cover me well from 15 to 40 or something. Which would be all conditions I would be capable of kiting in anyway.

With the 13m Rebel (not SLS) it becomes quite brutal at the high end for us who are not very skilled. Edge seems to do better. Time will tell.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:44 pm

jyka wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:10 pm
I can compare edge to the following same category kites: XR(the latest), boost, XS(2nd latest), nitro4, nrg, p1, draft, rebel(latest), switchblade(3 years old) and hyper.
They are all good kites (I'm a fan of high AR 5 strut flat profile kites) and I was most impressed by XR and edge. But it's always what things you like, bar pressure, turning speed etc.
Edge might be slower turning than others from the same category but it doesn't matter to me. Hangtime and wind range(edge's high end is crazy) are more important to me.
I would love if you could give more feedback or comparisons for all these kites.

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:34 pm

Sun wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:44 pm
jyka wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:10 pm
I would love if you could give more feedback or comparisons for all these kites.
A little bit off topic, I keep it short:
XR(the latest, 9m): It jumped better than I expected, maybe higher than edge. And overall liked how it felt.
boost (v1) 13m: High end could be better. Light weight design what makes it fragile.
XS(2nd latest): a good kite overall but didn't feel anything special.
nitro4 (I have 7m and 10m): Well built kite, rock solid and bomb proof. Jumps well. Too much bar pressure (some might like it).
nrg 12m: My old kite from 2012. Bombproof (=heavy) design. Turns slow when depowered and relaunch in light winds isn't great. But still a good kite in 2022
p1 (9m): Flies in the very edge of the wind window and it makes the kite unstable when keeping the kite in the air on the beach. I have made my woo record with this kite. Jumps great and hangtime is also top notch.
draft (12m): My old kite from 2016. Just overall great kite, a little bit (1+ m/s?) more low end than 11m edge but edge high end is 5 m/s better..! And more bar pressure than edge.
rebel(latest): More bar pressure than edge..? I felt this like draft :D good kite!
switchblade: I didn't felt success with it, test drive was short. It wasn't easy to jump and land smoothly, maybe I didn't get used to new kite fast enough. But still a good kite
hyper (10m): Surprising it was more powerful than 11m edge in the same wind. But high end was lower. It jumped well but I guess it won't jump as high as edge because the high end isn't that good. But still a good kite.
edge(v11, 11m): This felt overall the best. The only downside is the bar, because the PU tubing, front lines gets twisted easily. Not a problem if you won't do much rolls and loops. Edge is also a lightweight kite and I guess it won't be as bombproof and long life as heavier kites (like switch nitro) are.

So I like them all but my favorites are XR and edge(which I bought)
Would be interesting to test drive the latest version of flysurfer boost. I guess it would be close to the edge?

In my opinion, kites haven't come far the last 10+ years. In example, the naish draft 12m from 2016 what I have - it jumps maybe 10-15% lower than the edge with my skills. Is it worth to put 1500€ to new kite(edge..xr, what ever) compared to 300€ used one? :D it's up to you!
These users thanked the author jyka for the post (total 5):
Gestalt (Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:44 pm) • Sun (Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:56 pm) • zlatko23 (Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:45 am) • magnusod (Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:45 am) • Archer77 (Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:24 am)
Rating: 15.15%

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:39 am

Hey there Guys!
Thank You for all your reviews and comments!
I was wondering, someone have two same sizes Edge one V10 and one V11 to weight?
I'm very curious to know the weight difference between the last two versions!

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:35 pm

If someone got a 9 or 13m v10 I could always weigh mine for comparison - if I can find a clever way to actually weigh them.
Archer77 (Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:20 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”