Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Opinions wanted, is it better to self land in strong winds by punching out from 12 or 3/9??

Forum for kitesurfers
knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Opinions wanted, is it better to self land in strong winds by punching out from 12 or 3/9??

Postby knotwindy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:53 pm

Done it both ways quite a few times and have noticed no difference as to safety or kite ‘damage’ possibilities as long as there is clear space downwind. Either works fine.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras and Maui
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Airush Ultra 9m, Cloud 9 s24 Foil, Neil Pryde Surf Foil, Crazyfly carbon TT, Jimmy Lewis kite surfboard, Slingshot skim.

Re: Opinions wanted, is it better to self land in strong winds by punching out from 12 or 3/9??

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:06 pm

I do this all the time. Side of the wind window for sure, about 4 feet above the ground. If you have a single front-line flag system have that line closest to the ground. You then pull your safety and run upwind. The kite will almost always just flip upside down (u-shape) and sit in place perfectly. I have done this probably 100 times with my airush ultra.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:27 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:47 pm
Edge of the window is the way to go.

The safest way is to do it in the water so the kite lands in the water. Ideally a small white wash washes over the kite.
Best not try that at Holbaai! Your kite and then you will get severely trashed. The shorebreak there is usually monstrous.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:04 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:27 pm
plummet wrote:

The safest way is to do it in the water so the kite lands in the water. Ideally a small white wash washes over the kite.
Best not try that at Holbaai! Your kite and then you will get severely trashed. The shorebreak there is usually monstrous.
If the option is death or trashed kite, I would choose trashed kite everytime.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:51 pm

plummet wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:04 am
Hugh2 wrote:
plummet wrote:

No need to choose death, there is a wide open beach to land kite on.

One day when this virus problem is done it would be great to have you and some of the other frequent posters and obviously competent kiters here come to Cape Town, as many already do. I know Toby declines, however.

AND, if my shoulder ever recovers, I still hope to visit some of the places I read about here, Caribbean, Brazil, Peru, NZ, Australia, and South Pacific islands, and various places in Europe, and Mauritius, and.....

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:43 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:51 pm
plummet wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:04 am
Hugh2 wrote:

No need to choose death, there is a wide open beach to land kite on.

One day when this virus problem is done it would be great to have you and some of the other frequent posters and obviously competent kiters here come to Cape Town, as many already do. I know Toby declines, however.

AND, if my shoulder ever recovers, I still hope to visit some of the places I read about here, Caribbean, Brazil, Peru, NZ, Australia, and South Pacific islands, and various places in Europe, and Mauritius, and.....
One day I would like to go to cape town. When my kids have left home in around 8 years time.

It depends on the level of overpowered. lets say 30-40 knots on a 6m. No problem. Walk to the beach and punch the safety. However. 50+ knots on the same 6m and when you punch to safety on the beach you cant walk the line to the kite. There is still too much pull with the kite flagged. You risk degloving your fingers if you try and walk the line. The thing to do then is punch out in the water, swamp the kite so you can run to the kite while its still swamped.

I agree a nasty beach break does not make this easy.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
deldenk (Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:44 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:12 pm

Cape Town almost never gets above 40, and I've only been in 50 twice, once luckily sitting on my kite to hold it down, once dumping it behind trees. If I am still kiting in 8 years, which would mean at age 73, then I'd love to show you some of Cape Town's kiting haunts. And they are much more than just Table Bay.

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:22 am

grigorib wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:53 pm
Don’t touch QR or flagout line. Drop kite on water near the edge of wind window and pull it to yourself by one of front lines. Never warps line over anything you don’t want to cut off. Wear gloves to hold lines better.

What do you mean “punch out”?
... 'punch out' is different way of saying 'releasing' the kite to safety line

:D

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am

On a foil, edge of the wind window and if you have the roof, while running upwind to help reduce the kite twisting over the ground. At 12, you’ll put too much stress on the lines as it falls through the power zone and have a greater chance of stressing/breaking a bridle line.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:44 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am
On a foil, edge of the wind window and if you have the roof, while running upwind to help reduce the kite twisting over the ground. At 12, you’ll put too much stress on the lines as it falls through the power zone and have a greater chance of stressing/breaking a bridle line.
I use the brake handle all the time to land a foil kite from 12 o'clock, and have for years. Have you broken a bridle line or connection doing this?

Return to “Kitesurfing”