Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite foiling set to die almost completely out as wing foiling takes hold

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite foiling set to die almost completely out as wing foiling takes hold

Postby grigorib » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:20 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:47 am
grigorib wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:38 am
A friend just commented that he won’t bring 3m kite next year to Baja, just wings instead for those winds. 5/7 UFOs he said are golden, used 9 UFO once
I have at least 10 friends (probably closer to 20 now) that have done the same thing. Were hard out into freestyle and wave riding (really good riders), body wore out with age and got into kite hydrofoiling, now they havn't used their kite stuff for 6 months+, they ride at ridiculous spots that you cannot kite at, have been on 50km missions and to be fair get ridiculously long rides when it comes to riding swells.
Three of us brought twintips to Baja last year. Not one of them touched water. This year it was pure foiling for two friends who went there.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:15 am

slowboat wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:54 pm
Foiling is the future of all high performance water sports including surfing and kiting. Being on the surface will be for stuff like SUP yoga
This is very far from true. For a large portion of kiters they see hydrofoils as a tool for LW and will always be a second choice if there is enough wind to ride a planning board. I've been kite foiling for 5 years but only when it was under 15 knots.

This thread is about kite foil vs. wing foil though, but it should really mention wind foil as at my local wind foil is about as popular as wing foil (kite foil is more popular than both though).

When it comes to choosing what to do on top of your foil it you have to ask what you want to be doing?
- surfing waves? go with a wing (or a peak 4)
- blasting huge air? go with a kite
- going fast? go with a kite
- prefer windsurfing? go with a wind foil

I get why people would be hyped on winging if they have a spot with actual swell, it looks really good, but I don't see it offering that much over a peak 4 for wave foiling. I'd like to hear some reports from peak 4 owners that have switched to winging (if they exist).

I'm interested in wing foiling for 1 reason: launch restrictions. There are a few spots that a kite just isn't workable that I'd like to be able to ride. Now the trouble is those spots only get around 9 knots of wind, which is fine for kite foil but I have a feeling if I can even manage to wing in those conditions it'll be super boring as there are no waves.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post (total 2):
leeuwen (Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:04 am) • Peter_Frank (Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:42 am)
Rating: 6.06%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:36 am

longwhitecloud wrote:

I have at least 10 friends (probably closer to 20 now)

I call bullshit !
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
longwhitecloud (Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:55 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:36 am
longwhitecloud wrote:

I call bullshit !
Lol!

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:12 pm

Sometimes when I’m reading this forum it’s like trying to follow fashion trends, TT is dead every one is foil or will, LEI kites are superseded by foil kites, foil kites are superseded by LEI with light LE material, and now these to be superseded by windgfoils and list goes on and on

It’s like marketing noise to get people buy shit they don’t need and yet 95% people are riding TT with LEI kites
Last edited by SolarSet on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post (total 2):
Bill C (Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:35 pm) • Toby (Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:24 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:35 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote:

I call bullshit !
I second that! For my spot with very light wind and deep water kite foiling is a lot more efficient and probably more fun but I haven't tried the wing thing I have zero interest in it!

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:41 pm

I think the next wind sport will be kite bodyboarding.

Great on deep water, shallows and even on land... :lol: 8)

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:56 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote:

I call bullshit !
I also call bullshit. I wasn't aware that longwhitecloud had any friends!
All that whingeing, complaining, fake news and opinionated drivel. Could you really hang around with this dude?

Of course with such clickbait posts, could be pumpmeup under another alias...

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:05 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:15 am
I'm interested in wing foiling for 1 reason: launch restrictions. There are a few spots that a kite just isn't workable that I'd like to be able to ride. Now the trouble is those spots only get around 9 knots of wind, which is fine for kite foil but I have a feeling if I can even manage to wing in those conditions it'll be super boring as there are no waves.
+1 the place we go to in the summer in the UK - the closest beach has RNLI kiting bans during patrolled hours 9am to 6pm, v tempted with a wingfoil for this reason only

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:11 pm

For those of you that think downunder reflects what's happening in Australia... ignore him. The part of Australia he lives in, Perth WA, has only a small population. It does have very good wind however with a massive coastline with waves and flat water areas to satisfy all windsports.

However the kite and windsurf industry in WA is massively supported by an influx of visitors from the northern hemisphere escaping winter. They also sell up a lot of gear when they go home creating a thriving secondhand market of late model gear. They also inject a lot of talent into WA as many compete in the northern hemisphere season and came to WA to continue skill development be it foil course racing, windsurf related competition, freestyle or waves.

However COVID has ended this, and like all of Australia, hardly anyone is coming in or out any more. Fortunately we've been able to handle COVID reasonably well and can get out on the water in our respective wind sports most of the time.

In my area only a few have taken to wing foiling often with the purpose of pursuing a more pure surfing style as most are too old to be trying the freestyle moves shown on wing foil promotional videos. Others who have been kiting on TT or surfboards have taken up foiling and it's grown considerably. Light wind days are now populated by kite foilers loving 12 knots using small kites they only used a couple of times a year on their TT.

There are those on this forum, (and this thread), who have taken to using a snow kite with their foil and found a kind of religious epiphany in the experience :clap: These Flysurfer Peak4 snow kites are cheaper, quick to set up and take down, instant power/depower, drift like helium and have fantastic control and manoeuvrability. I must admit to have succumbed to this fervour myself, and as I circle a windinger and follow them on my tiny foilboard straight downwind and avoid their crashes, I do say to myself I really am not getting the same exercise as the dinger who is vigorously flapping his wing while pumping his foilboard for 50m to get back on the foil.

Now I do have a stake in the game as I do sell kitesurf gear and wing foil gear as well. But sales of Peak4 kites have been so strong both from my own experience and globally over the past year that there has been a constant shortage of supply. Now some have gone to snow kiting and land kiting but it's foiling that has really been a big seller of these kites. (Check the size of the Peak4 thread in Foil Kites). When I've sold one Peak4 kite the buyer will often come back for another size or two and start using them almost exclusively. Just like some people have found their niche with wingdings others have found foiling with a Peak4 gives them the refreshing new buzz they need which is also very easy to use, no new skills really required.

Wing foiling won't overtake kitefoiling. In fact wingdingers coming from a surfing background who take up foiling with a wing will probably gravitate to getting a kite to improve their low wind foiling time. It's an easy transition and good used small kites aren't too expensive.

But there is a problem at least from my experience in Australia. There seems to be a lack of younger participants in windsports. Whether it be sailing catamarans or windsurfers, kitesurfing or wingfoiling. And don't give me the excuse that a given sport costs too much. There are sailing clubs here giving free use of their boats plus training. Good windsurfers given away free. Even good kite gear going for a song if you buy at the right time. :-?

Wing foiling will have its time in the sun just like surf catamarans, windsurfing, kitesurfing and foiling of all types. Marketing departments need something new for the jaded consumer and wing foils will soon saturate the market as they're relatively simple to produce and have good profit margins. Then it's onto the next new thing ...
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
Slappysan (Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:30 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”