Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell
Brand Affiliation: None

Miami / S Florida Current Situation

Postby Sun » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 pm

My girlfriend and I are planning a spur-of-the-moment trip to Miami this weekend. Hope to kite, in addition to clearing out a storage locker that is draining funds.

She has her eyes on Crandon. Looks like the NE-E winds should work there. However, neither of us has IKO cert (She is mid level 3, I am solid level 5 per the IKO descriptions) although from what I gather you can get it on the spot. Also hear that the spot is capacity limited.

What is the intel in the ground? Can we still get IKO cert on the spot? Does it fill up early? If so, how early do we need to get out there to secure a spot for two? Any additional restrictions, IKO, COVID, or otherwise?

What are the favorite spots for two transients without a boat to visit on NE-E winds in the Miami area? We can entertain going to south to Key Largo or north Delray, but prefer to stay close to Miami.

Appreciate any info you all may have!

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Miami / S Florida Current Situation

Postby Cab Driver » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:48 pm

Sun wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:21 pm
My girlfriend and I are planning a spur-of-the-moment trip to Miami this weekend. Hope to kite, in addition to clearing out a storage locker that is draining funds.

She has her eyes on Crandon. Looks like the NE-E winds should work there. However, neither of us has IKO cert (She is mid level 3, I am solid level 5 per the IKO descriptions) although from what I gather you can get it on the spot. Also hear that the spot is capacity limited.

What is the intel in the ground? Can we still get IKO cert on the spot? Does it fill up early? If so, how early do we need to get out there to secure a spot for two? Any additional restrictions, IKO, COVID, or otherwise?

What are the favorite spots for two transients without a boat to visit on NE-E winds in the Miami area? We can entertain going to south to Key Largo or north Delray, but prefer to stay close to Miami.

Appreciate any info you all may have!
Hey there. Crandon is a beautiful spot. The beach is really nice, the water looks like the Caribbean, and there are a variety of conditions from the launch. First off, read the rules here. This place has a lot of restrictions due to the nature reserve to the North, the swimmers to the South, etc. There's flat water .5 miles out from the beach, then a shallow sandbar where some wavelets will be breaking, then choppy open water beyond. The concessionaire at the park should be able to assess your skills for some sort of fee, and then they charge a day pass, but I don't know how much anymore - somewhere around $30-50? There is a limit of 25 independent kiters on the water at once. Follow the signs at the North entrance to the park and you will find the check in area. Park next to others and don't leave valuables at all in plain sight. There is a serious B&E problem with vehicles at this park. Just remember that's it's a "big" city and there are jerks just like everywhere, so be smart about your belongings. Enjoy.
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
Sun (Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:39 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Fort Desoto is close to an airport to

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:23 pm

The closer to Miami, the harder the restrictions. Up in Delray or even West Palm you'll find better waves, especially with NE, but not flat water.

Only 25 kites at the same time in Crandon!? wow! That's sounds like a really low number for such a nice place. I wonder how much are those 25 paying to kite there.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:53 pm

Fort Desoto is on the wrong coast if Sun needs to be in Miami. Nice place to kite, but wrong coast.

Reading about Crandon makes me glad I don't have to deal with all of that! 25 kite limit? $30-$50/day just to kite? People stealing stuff from your car??? Lots of rules and restrictions?? Central Florida has none of that. I'm sure Crandon is great, but for me, life's just too short to put up with all that!!!
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post (total 2):
Topaz (Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:42 am) • loco4viento (Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:42 am)
Rating: 6.06%

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 am

In Florida the further North you go the further "South" you go and the less nonsense you have to deal with. We can even kite without wearing masks :naughty:

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:38 pm

kazi wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:59 am
In Florida the further North you go the further "South" you go and the less nonsense you have to deal with. We can even kite without wearing masks :naughty:
I've lived in both the north and south and they have their pros and cons. By "nonsense", do you mean 1.5 hour boat access to bahamas, art, culture, diversity, food, hot winters, and partying? South has it's pluses for sure.
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
RickI (Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:59 pm)

yzbob
Medium Poster
Gear: Mixed

Postby yzbob » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:47 pm

Hi,

It's not the best place for your situation. But here are the options as i currently understand them. be prepared to drop $100+ :-/

Virginia Key would work for you but probably not for her.(tight launch area, very busy beach at weekend, need to stay upwind, have to do a water packdown to come in if you do end up needing to land anywhere down wind of the very small launch beach). lifeguards are in the area and don't take kindly to flouting the rules.

Miami beach requires a permit. so that rules out the launches around 20 something street and 76th street. also weekends are super busy on the beach.

you may find the area north of dania pier allows launching ( not sure about that now, havent been for a couple of yrs, someone else might comment) but you need to be self sufficient. upwind/self rescue etc etc. someone may be there policing it.

Mathesons hammock - IKO level 3 required payment required, not sure if they even allow day visitors at the weekend. (contact them for specifics) (305) 733-1519

Crandon - iko level 3 required and payment required. (contact them for specifics) (305) 345-9974

wind addicts - they take boats out to the flats by stiltsville so obviously payment required, this weekend looks promising but they will probably fill up quick.
contact - 305 319 1119.

in regards to kiting i agree 100% with the comment above saying the further north you go the less nonsense you have to deal with.
These users thanked the author yzbob for the post:
Sun (Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:57 pm)

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida

Postby RickI » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:08 pm

You might want to save some hassle and stack the deck for a good experience as long as you are in Miami for just a day. Take a sea taxi trip to Stiltsville with https://www.southfloridakiteboarding.com/

Kiting has been in Miami longer than most places in Florida, it is also the second most populated city in the state. All that leads to long term access problems but people work it out, usually involving more restrictions. Riders voted for this by their behaviors through the decades so there isn't much point in complaining about it.

Last, a trivia question. Where and when was the first kiting ban in Florida? It is a place which many haven't heard of out of the area and it is way north of south.

Attachments
s2.jpg
s1 255483513199_8428476820959360239_o.jpg
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Sun (Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:35 pm)

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:11 am

RickI wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:08 pm
Last, a trivia question. Where and when was the first kiting ban in Florida? It is a place which many haven't heard of out of the area and it is way north of south.
RickI, I'm guessing it's Huguenot Park near Jacksonville. By law, kiteboarding and other extreme sports were banned within a mile of an airport runway in Florida, and Huguenot is close to the Mayport Naval base. So, for a time, kiteboarding at Huguenot was illegal. Luckily, former Governor Scott signed a kiteboarding exception for Huguenot, so kiting is now allowed there. This was in 2015, I think.

Return to “Kitesurfing”