Tarifa
Gear: SST 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Strapless freestyle board durability

Postby Willn » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:45 am

Hi all,

Got another strapless board question hoping people can help with. I've been riding an old slingshot screamer for years now and it is starting to fall apart so looking for an upgrade. Construction in EPS and bamboo. It has held up pretty well over 100 sessions probably, including multiple shore dump encounters. Looking at newer freestyle shapes they are obviously much lighter with more surf style construction, eg. new North boards, Duotone pro or SLS construction, new Slingshot, new Cabrinha. What kind of durability are people getting out of these? Would you say a 1m shore dump on a gravel/shingle beach is likely to severely ding one of these boards? What about strapless jumps and heel dents etc? Any thoughts on more high end carbon construction in terms of durability (eg. F-One magnet, Appletree) ?

Keen to upgrade but want to check I'm not splashing out on something that could break in a year.

Cheers!

Will

nherbold
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Buck Island, Long Bay East, Nanny Cay, Anegada, all in the British Virgin Islands
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Scheveningen, Holland
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Hape Hatteras, North Carolina
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...next ONKiteboarding?

Re: Strapless freestyle board durability

Postby nherbold » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:46 pm

I'm guessing your skills have increased and now you 'punish' the board more than a few years ago?
Sorry to say I can't really make a suggestion based on experience, but board strength of a strapless board is one of those few things were I actually look at who the riders are and what they ride or advise they have.

Where I'm at there are no shops and import taxes are ridiculous so had mine shaped locally and adding carbon definitely helped strength wise, but I didn't like the additional vibration that came with it so ultimately I just accepted that the life of a custom board is between 1-2 years and factory boards last longer.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.76m
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9076° W (UK South Coast)
Gear: Lieuwe Shotguns
Ozone Enduro V2s
Flite 14.5 Aluula
Duotone Fish

Postby iriejohn » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:48 pm

In the Hayling shore dump anything can get trashed.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:02 pm

Dude, upgrade to the Wave Bandit Performer 4-10. It's the dream board, can't be beat for price or performance and you can dump it all day on anything you want. Got clocked in the face by it in 30 knots the other day, felt good

$150 and you can get between 50-100 sessions out of them before they get water logged.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:10 am

Not just with boards but most sports/active toys you get to pick any two of the following:
Price
Durability
Performance

Which is most important to you?
Also, IMO boards (and most kiting stuff) are best to think of as disposable. Less heartache when a favorite toy dies from use. Sadly, stuff wears out and the more you use it the faster it wears out.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq

Postby or6 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:01 pm

I have been giving my carbon appeltree a real hard time jumping strapless. Hard to destroy. Its popular around here with both surfers and freestylers.

However, a shore break with rocks sounds pretty tricky. Nothing will withstand that, except maybe foamies, as slappysan suggested.

You could consider riding with a leash and a helmet. I am not really in favour of leashes, but sometimes conditions make them necessary.

Willn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Tarifa
Gear: SST 5,7,9
Been thanked: 0

Postby Willn » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:27 pm

Yes Hayling shore break is tough as is any shore break with gravel or rocks. I'll put a leash on with a shiny new board and rocks. However I would still expect a lightweight board to survive many unstrapped jumps and (sandy) shore encounters. I guess it's quite difficult for people to quantify the kind of life they're getting out of their boards as everyone rides differently at different spots with different conditions.

Knotwindy, yep very true guess if I'm after a light board, price is the one that has to be left behind... Though I'm not super convinced on durability, guess I just have to give it a go and see how it goes!

Slappysan - thanks I've seen a few of your videos, it does seem like the answer, even Tom Court has caught onto your trend! May well look at getting a hold of one given the price and it must be very capable in light wind and small surf.

Or6 - nice to hear those hold up well. Beautiful looking boards...

Return to “Kitesurfing”