Forum for kitesurfers
sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lost me mojo

Postby sflinux » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:56 pm

When I had kids I gave up motorcycle riding and rock climbing. I bought life insurance and both of those activities would have increased my premium. Surprising to me, kitesurfing was off the life insurance radar.
I think it is ok to put kiting on the back burner now that you are a parent. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an evolutionary change in brain chemistry when you become a nurturer. The first 10 years of a child's life are the most influential and go by fast. I would brainstorm and map out all of the things that you want to expose your child to in the next 10 years (like a parental bucket list) and try to map it out. Their interests will be constantly changing. Go with the flow, but try to expose them to things on your list as you go.
I agree with Peter_Frank on trying something new. It keeps the stoke alive, and many times is cross-sport relative in terms of muscle groups.
For my kiting career, I would always be trying new combinations of equipment. Early on, I tried flying all of the different types of kites that I could get my hands on. I even built a few of my own. Then I moved on to boards and tried all of the different designs I could get my hands on. I even built a few of my own (which I liked better than production).
For light/ultralight winds days, I got into flatwater SUP. Then I eventually tried it in the surf and it was one of the hardest sports I have ever tried. It lit a fire under my arse and I dedicated a year to get good. Now I find that I rarely visit my flatwater kiting spot, in favor of my local surf spot. With kites and SUP, I am covered for any condition, any day. Surf SUP eventually got me back into prone surfing, so I try to dedicate a day out of the week for prone paddling. If you try to surf SUP in 15-20k conditions, you will quickly miss flying a kite, as it is tough.
If you decide to get into a different sport, I would advise you to sell all of your current gear that you don't love, especially the gear that still has resale value. After a decade of child-rearing, you may see the light at the end of the tunnel getting smaller as to your own physical abilities as you age, increasing your desire to get sessions while you still can.
And remember alcohol is a depressant. Covid has been enough of a downer. If you can find positive influences in your life, follow that path.
Last edited by sflinux on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:45 pm

sflinux wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:56 pm

If you decide to get into a different sport, I would advise you to sell all of your current gear that you don't love, especially the gear that still has resale value. After a decade of child-rearing, you may see the light at the end of the tunnel getting smaller as to your own physical abilities as you age, increasing your desire to get sessions while you still can.
Sure spend as much time as possible with your kid, but keep in mind that your kids NEED you to be a happy parent, and if kiting makes you happy and balanced, then don't stop that. Make some cuts somewhere else if time is an issue, post work beersies for example. Kids will fit seamlessly into that watersports lifestyle. They'll get to spend more time by the water instead of more time by the football pitch or racetrack or near a pub, or whatever it is that normal people do...
Eventually you'll get to teach them and you'll share some of that stoke, riding together. Eventually they might prefer to go do something else with their teenage friends, but at least you would have shown them (part of) your path to happiness.

As per selling current gear, I'm not too sure..., one of MY source of happiness, is to have pretty much some toys for all occasions. Whatever the conditions are at my local, there is always something to do for a couple of hours to get outside and have some fun, pretty much every day. Kitesurf, kitefoil, wingfoil, SUP, surf, buggy, fat bike, skateboard... Keeps me happy and connected to the environment. Because of that, I'm less of a grumpy person, and it's beneficial also to everyone around me. Also because conditions are quite varied day to day, it's not repetitive. I'd be bored riding a SUP every single day, but by doing it only on the days that specifically call for that, I get only the best time on it. Right tool for the job kind of attitude.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post (total 2):
longwhitecloud (Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:13 am) • nothing2seehere (Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

eloico
Medium Poster

Postby eloico » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 pm

sflinux wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:56 pm
When I had kids I gave up motorcycle riding and rock climbing. I bought life insurance and both of those activities would have increased my premium. Surprising to me, kitesurfing was off the life insurance radar.
I think it is ok to put kiting on the back burner now that you are a parent. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an evolutionary change in brain chemistry when you become a nurturer. The first 10 years of a child's life are the most influential and go by fast. I would brainstorm and map out all of the things that you want to expose your child to in the next 10 years (like a parental bucket list) and try to map it out. Their interests will be constantly changing. Go with the flow, but try to expose them to things on your list as you go.
I agree with Peter_Frank on trying something new. It keeps the stoke alive, and many times is cross-sport relative in terms of muscle groups.
For my kiting career, I would always be trying new combinations of equipment. Early on, I tried flying all of the different types of kites that I could get my hands on. I even built a few of my own. Then I moved on to boards and tried all of the different designs I could get my hands on. I even built a few of my own (which I liked better than production).
For light/ultralight winds days, I got into flatwater SUP. Then I eventually tried it in the surf and it was one of the hardest sports I have ever tried. It lit a fire under my arse and I dedicated a year to get good. Now I find that I rarely visit my flatwater kiting spot, in favor of my local surf spot. With kites and SUP, I am covered for any condition, any day. Surf SUP eventually got me back into prone surfing, so I try to dedicate a day out of the week for prone paddling. If you try to surf SUP in 15-20k conditions, you will quickly miss flying a kite, as it is tough.
And remember alcohol is a depressant. Covid has been enough of a downer. If you can find positive influences in your life, follow that path.
:thumb: wise words :thumb:

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:40 pm

We live in one of the least likely places for kitesurfing, but we have multiple ways to keep the stoke. The most obvious is we have a nearby little lake that is the cooling system for a nuclear power plant, so it warms up earlier in the spring and stays warmer into the fall, extending our season. It also has exposure to the major prevailing wind directions we get here, which is great. It is not a beginner spot, however, so most of us learned elsewhere, primarily at Cape Hatteras. Our group does at least two group trips to Cape Hatteras in the spring and fall, and most do a family summer trip as well. These are great opportunities for socializing, meeting others from Indiana who started these group trips for windsurfing more than 20 years ago, and exposure to new equipment and people and kiting tricks and solutions. And others do more far-ranging trips, Cape Town, Baha, SPI, Florida, Dominica, Caribbean, Gorge, Hawaii, Brazil, etc. But most of us also sail, on everything from lasers to cabin boats, and in the winter we skate, snow kite, and most of us have iceboats (great ice this past weekend, as usual just a couple of days a year unless willing to travel north). And most of us ski, cross-country and downhill. So by the time spring comes around again we are very much stoked to be kiting again. Maybe the OP just lives in too nice a place (and yes, I've been to Melbourne, pre-kiting, and it is a great city).

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:03 am

Variety is the spice of life. Change it up and try something new or different. Maybe that is kiting,,,,, maybe it isnt,....
Get out there with your makes and live it up.

Now the above demand its own thread..... i will create

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:34 pm

Pretty much the only kiter at my beach, was getting a bit stale, especially at freezing temps- was hard to be motivated to get out on the water. Got waterproof Bluetooth earbuds for $30, waterproof bag for another $30, and put together a playlist. Brought back the mojo. Just put the bud in one ear so you can hear what's going on around you.

I don't need the tunes when I'm kiting with my buddies, but when conditions are tough and I'm solo/freezing, I pump the tunes.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:31 am

I'm with plummet, on this one ; don't get stagnated on/in
just one sport !! So many things a person can do, for Fun ; can't
see bumming , if just one of them , isn't lining up that day.

Me -- i got a sport for most any wind or weather condition ; when
it's raining and nasty outside, i just fix my gear, and dream about
the day i can use it again.

Bille

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:09 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:40 pm
We live in one of the least likely places for kitesurfing, but we have multiple ways to keep the stoke. The most obvious is we have a nearby little lake that is the cooling system for a nuclear power plant, so it warms up earlier in the spring and stays warmer into the fall, extending our season. It also has exposure to the major prevailing wind directions we get here, which is great. It is not a beginner spot, however, so most of us learned elsewhere, primarily at Cape Hatteras. Our group does at least two group trips to Cape Hatteras in the spring and fall, and most do a family summer trip as well. These are great opportunities for socializing, meeting others from Indiana who started these group trips for windsurfing more than 20 years ago, and exposure to new equipment and people and kiting tricks and solutions. And others do more far-ranging trips, Cape Town, Baha, SPI, Florida, Dominica, Caribbean, Gorge, Hawaii, Brazil, etc. But most of us also sail, on everything from lasers to cabin boats, and in the winter we skate, snow kite, and most of us have iceboats (great ice this past weekend, as usual just a couple of days a year unless willing to travel north). And most of us ski, cross-country and downhill. So by the time spring comes around again we are very much stoked to be kiting again. Maybe the OP just lives in too nice a place (and yes, I've been to Melbourne, pre-kiting, and it is a great city).
Whow...
That is placing you guys in the mid class US citizens. More or less. Not comparable with many many kiters around the World. The mojo does not rely on standard, I think, or variety. Mojo is different for every single person.

Melbourne is not even remotely a great city. For me ;) Different for others maybe...

The OP did not say where he spent last 10y kiting tho.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:08 pm

So parents will know this one, kid has started day care recently l and is bringing home a new bunch of bugs and viruses every day. Generously spreading the love to mum and dad. Mum and Dad have been too sick to kite for the last two weeks anyway and probably for the next 5 years lol.

Yes, a bit of sporting variety needed. Mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking to be reinstated. Leaving Victoria later this year to sunnier surrounds too. Kiting switch from quantity to quality I suspect moving forward.

Basically a transition from my life revolving around kiting to kiting fitting in there somewhere. I think I am cool with that, it was a fun 10 years of intense kiting but time to dial it back.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:16 pm

As international travel starts to become a reality again. Here's another video of a great kiting destination we went to 3 or 4 years ago. If anyone is having mojo issues give Tonga a go!

Return to “Kitesurfing”