Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
borist
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:30 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: San Diego, CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby borist » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:31 pm

My gut feel says no. However I've met a surfer/SUPer recently who is a beginner winger and he just signed up for kiting lessons. I guess my gut doesn't know shit

User avatar
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1057
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:54 am
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 81 times

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby Slappysan » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:33 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:19 pm
This might be your own personal feelings. I'm not sure holing an inflatable wing on strings is inherently more fun than holding an inflatable wing without strings.
Flying a kite is basically remote piloting an sailplane that you happen to be attached to.
Flying a hand wing is basically holding your hand out the window when driving in the car.

I have my doubts that winging will bring in new kiters, the only shot is for the ones that find that they love the wind based water sport aspect but find the foil a PITA.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1777
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:54 pm
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby PullStrings » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:35 pm

Wingfoiling will lead people to drink stronger alcohol from frustration in sub 12 knots and gradient winds

After a few therapy sessions their shrinks will strongly recommend kitesurfing to have more fun

So answer is yes
These users thanked the author PullStrings for the post (total 2):
nixmatters (Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:04 am) • airsail (Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:59 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3587
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Style: Semi Professional Master Baiter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:04 am

i think it will expose kiting to those where it is their first wind sport. My niece can now wingfoil - up 3rd try!... 12 years old. So more likely to try kiting in the future.

I also think that it will remove most of the kite foil scene (it already has in the southern hemisphere - in one season!) leaving kiting to focus on its grass roots. I think foiling is disproportionally focused on here, by the con job that was olympic kiting and by some of the kite media / brands.

There is clearly a new generation of kiters right now which is awesome because there was a long period without much of a new generation. They are not interested in kite hydrofoiling (never were - 99% of non sponsored kite hydrofoil riders are over 50, male and mow the lawn - now moving to wingfoils) as it adds even more expense to an already expensive sport, and its coolness factor to them is all but non existent.

I think wingfoiling will kill off kite foil racing olympic hope too. There simply is barely a scene in many countries, national female competitors often don't even have another female competitor to compete against.. never seen such a massive con job. Even some of the sponsored kite racers are moving to wing foiling.

You already have the GKA - so called representative and promoter of kiting, pumping cash into their newly formed GWA (Global Wingsport Association) now officially making it the worst organisation a sport has ever had to deal with... all about the quick $$ and selling overpriced equipment to middle aged doctors that can barely use the upsold features they are sold on.

An inflatable wing has to be the cheapest way to experience the wind - that will get more people involved - even without a foil.

The future of kiteboarding is good - there is a shift back to grassroots - freestyle and waveriding, more connection to the water (no hydrofoils), and flying through the air at speed! These features are what self promotes the sport and gets new generations excited. Progression is happening, the industry kooks are busy sniffing the wingsurf $$ and we can get on with what we love building kiting in a more organic way without them.

I think at the freeriding level wingfoiling has a lot to offer, but as far as freestyle is concerned, it in interesting to watch the progression - flips and spins.. but style wise is is fug as.... I dont think that will change. Also someone is going to get chopped really really badly as some stage - it is inevitable...

User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1927
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 103 times

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby Flyboy » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:42 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:04 am
i think it will expose kiting to those where it is their first wind sport. My niece can now wingfoil - up 3rd try!... 12 years old. So more likely to try kiting in the future.

I also think that it will remove most of the kite foil scene (it already has in the southern hemisphere - in one season!) leaving kiting to focus on its grass roots. I think foiling is disproportionally focused on here, by the con job that was olympic kiting and by some of the kite media / brands.

There is clearly a new generation of kiters right now which is awesome because there was a long period without much of a new generation. They are not interested in kite hydrofoiling (never were - 99% of non sponsored kite hydrofoil riders are over 50, male and mow the lawn - now moving to wingfoils) as it adds even more expense to an already expensive sport, and its coolness factor to them is all but non existent.

I think wingfoiling will kill off kite foil racing olympic hope too. There simply is barely a scene in many countries, national female competitors often don't even have another female competitor to compete against.. never seen such a massive con job. Even some of the sponsored kite racers are moving to wing foiling.

You already have the GKA - so called representative and promoter of kiting, pumping cash into their newly formed GWA (Global Wingsport Association) now officially making it the worst organisation a sport has ever had to deal with... all about the quick $$ and selling overpriced equipment to middle aged doctors that can barely use the upsold features they are sold on.

An inflatable wing has to be the cheapest way to experience the wind - that will get more people involved - even without a foil.

The future of kiteboarding is good - there is a shift back to grassroots - freestyle and waveriding, more connection to the water (no hydrofoils), and flying through the air at speed! These features are what self promotes the sport and gets new generations excited. Progression is happening, the industry kooks are busy sniffing the wingsurf $$ and we can get on with what we love building kiting in a more organic way without them.

I think at the freeriding level wingfoiling has a lot to offer, but as far as freestyle is concerned, it in interesting to watch the progression - flips and spins.. but style wise is is fug as.... I dont think that will change. Also someone is going to get chopped really really badly as some stage - it is inevitable...
Did your wife run off with a kitefoiler?
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
jumptheshark (Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:04 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3587
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Style: Semi Professional Master Baiter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.
Has thanked: 99 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:28 am

I think it was a combination of things.. the aqua pack.. the flying sleeping bag, the full visor gath helmet.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:14 pm
Gear: Twintip
Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby junebug » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:28 am
I think it was a combination of things.. the aqua pack.. the flying sleeping bag, the full visor gath helmet.
Show me on the doll where the kitefoiler touched you

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2210
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:40 pm
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.
Location: Denver, Colorado, U.S.
Has thanked: 62 times
Been thanked: 102 times

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:01 pm

junebug wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:28 am
I think it was a combination of things.. the aqua pack.. the flying sleeping bag, the full visor gath helmet.
Show me on the doll where the kitefoiler touched you
:lol:

User avatar
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 506 times

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:06 pm

junebug wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:28 am
I think it was a combination of things.. the aqua pack.. the flying sleeping bag, the full visor gath helmet.
Show me on the doll where the kitefoiler touched you
:lol: :lol:

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 143 times
Contact:

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby drsurf » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:42 pm

Definitely some deep rooted problem with longwhitecloud and kite foilers :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile in my part of the Southern Hemisphere there has been a massive increase in kite foiling. Not only have I had good sales of new kite foil equipment, good secondhand kite foil equipment has come onto the market at affordable prices enabling kite surfers who were reluctant to part with $$ for a foil kit to buy into the sport.

This has also been aided by the fact that summer hasn't been that windy for kitesurfing or wing foiling but there have been plenty of days where kite foiling was great in 10-12 knots with non foiling kiters stuck on the beach or trying with 17m kites! Even today I was on a 4m Peak4 on my foil with a 17m TT kiter not being able to stay upwind. I'm pretty light but the other kite foilers out with me, 85 & 100kg, were on much larger 5m Peak4's :D

We do have a good wing foiler here, he's also a 65kg lightweight. His dedicated 90litre wing foil board costs 50% more than my 2.5kg carbon foil board, his wings also cost nearly 50% more than my Peak4 kites and he needs more wind than I do to have fun.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 61 guests