Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Semi Professional Master Baiter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Will Wingfoiling lead people into Kitesurfing?

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:19 pm

junebug wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:28 am
I think it was a combination of things.. the aqua pack.. the flying sleeping bag, the full visor gath helmet.
Show me on the doll where the kitefoiler touched you
On the shinpads.

fluidity
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Late model Switch kites element and nitros,
DIY CAD ultra-concave wave twintips 1500 and 130mm with my own fin designs. Easy upwind, awesome carving. Switch Nitro 10m V7, Naish 5.3m Wing. Now focussing on Wingsurfing to rise to a new challenge. Building my own foils from my CAD design and 3D prints, built a CNC machine last year and now cutting designs with CNC as well as 3D printing.
Up to 3 DIY foil designs built and getting the hang of wingsurf foiling as we switch into 2021.

Postby fluidity » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:53 am

drsurf wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:42 pm
We do have a good wing foiler here, he's also a 65kg lightweight. His dedicated 90litre wing foil board costs 50% more than my 2.5kg carbon foil board, his wings also cost nearly 50% more than my Peak4 kites and he needs more wind than I do to have fun.
Just wait until he moves down to a 40 litre board with straps and a fuller profile wing. He will be up in the gusts and while you are struggling to keep your peak4 in the lulls he will be pumping wing and foil through them.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:48 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:19 pm
junebug wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:22 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:28 am
I think it was a combination of things.. the aqua pack.. the flying sleeping bag, the full visor gath helmet.
Show me on the doll where the kitefoiler touched you
On the shinpads.
:lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
longwhitecloud (Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:21 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Nem0
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rectalcity
Favorite Beaches: Hörnum on the island Sylt (West- and Eastcoast)
Gear: 18-12-9-6m Flysurfer Soul + 133x42 ZERO-G + Spleene CarbonPro Monsterdoor
Has thanked: 0

Postby Nem0 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:13 am

drsurf wrote:
Definitely some deep rooted problem with longwhitecloud and kite foilers :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile in my part of the Southern Hemisphere there has been a massive increase in kite foiling. Not only have I had good sales of new kite foil equipment, good secondhand kite foil equipment has come onto the market at affordable prices enabling kite surfers who were reluctant to part with $$ for a foil kit to buy into the sport.

This has also been aided by the fact that summer hasn't been that windy for kitesurfing or wing foiling but there have been plenty of days where kite foiling was great in 10-12 knots with non foiling kiters stuck on the beach or trying with 17m kites! Even today I was on a 4m Peak4 on my foil with a 17m TT kiter not being able to stay upwind. I'm pretty light but the other kite foilers out with me, 85 & 100kg, were on much larger 5m Peak4's :D

We do have a good wing foiler here, he's also a 65kg lightweight. His dedicated 90litre wing foil board costs 50% more than my 2.5kg carbon foil board, his wings also cost nearly 50% more than my Peak4 kites and he needs more wind than I do to have fun.
Which hydrofoil and board you are using?

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket 1m Foil
Flysurfer Peak4 3m, 4m, 5m, 8m
Flysurfer Soul 10m
Collecting dust - Cabrinha Drifter 5.5m, 8m

Postby jatem » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:14 am

fluidity wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:53 am
drsurf wrote:
Just wait until he moves down to a 40 litre board with straps and a fuller profile wing. He will be up in the gusts and while you are struggling to keep your peak4 in the lulls he will be pumping wing and foil through them.
At the low end with a 5m peak, the worry isn't so much keeping the kite up in the lulls, it's whether I can waterstart if I come off the foil. When I'm pumping my HA Axis foil through lulls, the peak is completely happy flying due to 6-8 knots of apparent speed I'm generating. With a small kite foil, different story and you'll drop off the foil in the lulls.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:37 pm

fluidity wrote:
drsurf wrote:
Fluidity, if you had used a suitable Peak4 you may feel a bit embarrassed by your comment :lol:
No matter how good you are at pumping you wont match the 3 knots it takes to keep say a 5m Peak4 in the air.
I had a demo of a 13m Peak4 today, I was overpowered, if I let apparent wind take hold, at 8 knots :o
Looking forward to a 3-4 knot day to really test it out :)

Unfortunately my wing foil mate is in his 50's and while he does use a lower volume board for prone and tow in foiling, I think using a 40l board is unlikely. He also doesn't like footstraps.

Please note: If you haven't used a suitable sized Peak4 kite with a surf foil, try it. The drift, power control and power per sq metre is radically different from other kites of all types. Cheaper than a wingding too.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:21 pm

Yeah - coming off foil in the lulls? Doesn't happen. Kite foiling with windingers, I am always on foil while they spend a lot of time sub-planing & pumping ... same as regular kiting vs. windsurfing. There are some advantages of hand holding a wing, but the inherent advantage of using a wing at the end of long lines is the crucial ability to easily create apparent wind.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:19 pm

fluidity wrote:

We had the exact opposite yesterday. The wing foilers were slogging along. The two good guys were pumping up onto the foil for a bit then dropping off again after losing apparent wind through the gybes.

Two old farts (both 64) on 8m surf kites, 30L boards and small surf foils were charging around at high speed doing roll tacks and generally having fun. I took a break from playing and did an 8km (4km each way) out and return up the coast and back just because it was fun. I love the sensation of being banked and cranking upwind at speed. It took 25 minutes (with some wave play at the turnaround). My record is 16 minutes. It's taken over an hour to do the same course on my wing foil.

We had waited until 5:00 pm for stronger winds in the hope of wing foiling. We could have gone out 5 hours earlier with 12m kites.

Today we'll get 30 knot southerlies which should bring some good wind swell. I am hoping for some fun wave action on the wing foil. If conditions are too strong I will go for my kite foil and a 4m kite. It's so much easier and safer than being stuck in a shore break with a fat board, huge foil (1500cm) and a fragile wing all tied together with leashes.

I am enjoying learning and experimenting on the wing foil. But, when I get back on the kite foil the sense of pure joy is hard to beat.

I have this fantasy that the gear progression of wing foiling will sort itself out. I'm thinking one board, one foil, 2-3 wings to cover 10-40 knots the same as we have with kite foiling. At the moment you need a quiver of foil wings of absurdly big sizes and too fat boards and the jury is still out on bigger hand wings.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
airsail (Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:24 am)
Rating: 6.67%

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:09 am

Nem0 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:13 am
drsurf wrote:
Definitely some deep rooted problem with longwhitecloud and kite foilers :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile in my part of the Southern Hemisphere there has been a massive increase in kite foiling. Not only have I had good sales of new kite foil equipment, good secondhand kite foil equipment has come onto the market at affordable prices enabling kite surfers who were reluctant to part with $$ for a foil kit to buy into the sport.

This has also been aided by the fact that summer hasn't been that windy for kitesurfing or wing foiling but there have been plenty of days where kite foiling was great in 10-12 knots with non foiling kiters stuck on the beach or trying with 17m kites! Even today I was on a 4m Peak4 on my foil with a 17m TT kiter not being able to stay upwind. I'm pretty light but the other kite foilers out with me, 85 & 100kg, were on much larger 5m Peak4's :D

Which hydrofoil and board you are using?
Using a Moses 679 surf foil with 91cm mast an Axis Tray 110cm board.

airsail
Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:32 am

It’s not unusual now to see the wingding crew pumped up waiting for wind, just like the windsurfers do. Lots of take up of winging in our area, including me, but with the light or no wind season coming quickly in May. I assume some might consider a kite just to get themselves a foil session during winter.
At least if you can do both, sub 15 knots is enjoyable, I find winging a slog in the light stuff compared to kitefoils.

Return to “Kitesurfing”