Local Beach: Frederiksberg C
Favorite Beaches: Amager Beach
Sydvestpynten
Gear: North Rebel 9/11 2018
Brand Affiliation: None

Pads/straps for Duotone Jaime 2020?

Postby tense_9000 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi folks,

I'm getting a Duotone Jaime 2020 board soon.
I was thinking of getting 2020/2021 Entity pads/straps for it, but I'm a bit worried that the breaking issues with the entity model are not resolved yet.

So I'm wondering what to get instead!

Do all other brands' pads/straps fit the Jaime 2020 board?
After reading through earlier posts, I'm considering Naish Apex or SP Boarding bindings.
Any other I should consider?

Optimally I'd like pads/straps I can use both in summer and in winter with boots (I'm a size 43 EUR / 9 UK / 9.5 US in shoes).
I'm located in Denmark, if that has any importance.

Thanks a lot!

/Johan

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Re: Pads/straps for Duotone Jaime 2020?

Postby SMJ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:52 am

The Jaime has the track mounting system - which is really nice. This mounting system will accommodate just about any footstrap in the industry - even the non-standard pads from Carved and Core with the 6.5" bolt spacing.

I like to put Carved Ultra pads on my Duotone boards with the track mounts.

Note that not all Duotone boards have the track mounting; the less expensive models are standard 6" spacing inserts.

I have a pair of the Naish Apex straps on another board, but I prefer the Ultra's. I'm not crazy about the build quality or the velcro straps of the Apex, but they are super light. If you like the Apex, take a look at the new North Flex straps - same basic design with better build quality IMHO.
These users thanked the author SMJ for the post (total 2):
danlar (Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:57 am) • tense_9000 (Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

tense_9000
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Frederiksberg C
Favorite Beaches: Amager Beach
Sydvestpynten
Gear: North Rebel 9/11 2018

Postby tense_9000 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 pm

Thanks alot. Great to know that other pads will fit the Jaime as well.
Do you know of any pads which can be properly adjusted to fit both barefoot as well as winter boots? I've read that the Apex should be too small for fitting boots?

brighamj
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 78kg
Favorite Beaches: My backyard
Gear: Duotone and Core Kites and Bars
Duotone Jaime, Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby brighamj » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:48 am

I have a Jaime and recently bought a Lieuwe Shotgun. If you haven’t bought the Jaime, I’d reconsider. I really have enjoyed the Jaime, but I greatly prefer the Lieuwe. I’ve ridden them back to back in the same session, and there is a real difference in the way they perform. As to bindings, I have and like the NTT, but on this new board, I went with the Naish Apex. I prefer them over the NTT, but I believe both are great.

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 64 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: North Reach 13, 11
North Orbit 10, 8, 6
North Focus 136+boots
North Atmos 133
Duotone Team 134
Duotone Whip 5'2

Postby Kerplow » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:49 am

I have ridden a lot of pads and Entity's hands down are one of the best (support, comfort, control) pads I have tried. They have issues and ppl are posting them here, although my wife and me, we never experienced any with 2017/2019/2020 year editions.
As for Jamie - it's amazing board ;)
Last edited by Kerplow on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

malotricks
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 78
Local Beach: France : Cayeux, Le Crotoy and Saint Gabriel
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla and Brasil
Style: freeride and freestyle old school
Gear: Duotone Evo

Postby malotricks » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:31 am

Go for Naish Apex. It is the reference in terms of pads and straps and I know people who use it on Duotone boards.
I tried once a Duotone Select SLS 2021 using Entity. I don't like this straps. I look like fragile and I do prefer usual scratchs that I believe more secure than their bindings.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:59 am

Naish Apex comes in two sizes now S/M and L/XL depending on foot size you should be able to fit boots larger size. I have 2017 model with came only in one size 37-45 size and with mine 45 size foot I would struggle to get them with boots.
They are comfortable and allow to change softness with special insert but they hold feet pretty tight. Probably not the easiest straps for boards off.

In general straps which will hold you foot well are great if you don't plan to take you foot off them during riding. You can always make them looser but you will lose snug fit. Another drawback I can see is if you make them tight and you want to bail after bad trick your foot could be stuck and increase risk of twisting ankle.

I have two set of straps snug one Naish Apex and loose one Shinn/Nobile SRS after year of riding them back to back still can't make decision which one I prefer. I'm just about to get DT Jaime 2021 and maybe with new board will make final decision. I was considering Entity but heard too many people breaking their plastic strap and for my 93kg I'm sure this would happened to me as well.
Last edited by SolarSet on Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:54 am

tense_9000 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 pm
Thanks alot. Great to know that other pads will fit the Jaime as well.
Do you know of any pads which can be properly adjusted to fit both barefoot as well as winter boots? I've read that the Apex should be too small for fitting boots?
All 3 pads mentioned above (Carved Ultra, North Flex, and Naish Apex) will work with bare feet and boots.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:30 pm

I had Naish Apex but the older model that was one size, and while relatively comfortable barefooted, was hard to get my 42-43 foot with booties (my feet are wide)

Since a month I got the north flex (size large), and while I still haven't adjusted them perfectly to my liking, they feel great size wise. Also the material on the inside feels very very comfy barefooted.

I had the carved ultra for some time, they were okay, but had the annoying feature of tightening if you push the strap down (they are ratchet tightening), so while it was easy to adjust them, i had to do it 2-3 times per day, which was getting annoying.

TLDR:
Naish Apex - like them, if you get correct size
North Flex - like the strap, the pad feels a bit flat, need time to adjust them to see if they slip out of my feet
Carved Ultra - don't think they are worth the price, as they don't feel amazing

brighamj
Medium Poster
Weight: 78kg
Favorite Beaches: My backyard
Gear: Duotone and Core Kites and Bars
Duotone Jaime, Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby brighamj » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:06 am

I had some of the North bindings and hated them compared with the NTT and Apex. As HALF stated, they are “flat”. They just don’t fit your foot contours as well. Kind of bullshit, honestly. How hard is an ergonomic fit in this day and age? It is a good point that the Apex may not be good for anything other than bare feet when you have 10+ size feet. I still prefer them, but I ride in warm water.

Return to “Kitesurfing”