Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Variety is the spice of life...

Postby bragnouff » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:51 am

For me, part of the stoke is the variety of conditions on offer. Sometimes just cloud formations or special morning or evening light transforms a session into a magic one, and just being there in that moment is everything, and reminds me how lucky I am to be alive and a part of that. Feeling connected to the environment is a proven source of emotional well-being.

Here's a glimpse of those various conditions, with variety also in the pieces of kit used. It's from the mid 2000s to 2011. Trip down memory lane.
A more recent one would feature lots more surfboard and foil action, but I kind of stopped doing kitecam photos and videos around that time, once every man and his dog got into the GoPro craze. Got a head full of memories to last me for a long time!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:39 pm

tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:15 am
I guess you can look at my Instagram if you want to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.instagram.com/tkaraszewski/
I did. Looks like you have some good sporting and family balance going on. Good work.
These users thanked the author plummet for the post:
tkaraszewski (Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:09 pm

How come you don’t have a kite attached to your bike and bbq? That’s the missing link you are looking for ;-)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:20 pm

I respectfully disagree with the premise.

Balance is what makes life a full meal, so of course there is some variety implied, but I don't think you need a variety of sports to be fulfilled.

I do other activities for health and fitness, but they all defer to kiting when the wind is up. I use a couple different boards, but last season was on one alone and its been one of the most rewarding seasons of Kiting I've ever had.

I would posit that so many of the greats or ground breakers in any particular sport did so because that sport was their one true love.

Toby may claim that he has endless variety in his field, but who is he kidding? But he loves what he's doing and more or less proves my point.

Now I certainly don't begrudge anyone their variety, but its not a universal by any stretch.

Plummet, you go tell your wife that you need a little variety in your sex partners and see how well it applies!

Nah man. I'm a kiter. Doesn't mean I'm not other things, but I don't need cycling, or skiing, or any other sport to get my fix. I dream of kiting conditions, kiting moves, and given my choice would rather go kiting than just about anything else. I don't think its necessary for others to feel the same to be kiters and enjoy kiting, but likewise, I don't think I need other sports to satisfy.

Variety might be the spice of life for you my friend. May it always bring you joy. But I don't feel that way and am pretty happy in my choices.

Quite honestly, I have regular stuff like work and parenting that balances my life and I'm just not willing to share the free time I have amongst activities that excite me less.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Foil (Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:00 pm

One of the deepest threads I have seen, love all its content, and different views,
great stuff and makes you reflect on your own beliefs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”