Circleone quad 5'6
134 asylum
129 Lunacy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Big Air with Slingshot

Postby 3wave » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:51 am

Stick with the raptor I say.
I agree with going for the smaller board.
Go out maxed fully trimmed in......so your digging your heels in the sand on the way to the water
Ride about .... feel the power......kite low at 9
.........release the trim fully........accelerate ...... huck down and edge like f*** till you feel you legs begin to go.........
To quote Bully from years back in Fluid Edge Kite Training Video 2003 " Lock and Load Pilgrim"
See your spot ..start pulling back.crank like f***......last hard edge....release and push off.......boom ..... you should then get 20m easy and more timed with a nice gust you feel

What weight are you.
Technique all the way..,...
Ps. Ensure you have your crew with you if you need to come back in in 10 mins because its too much.........
More time on your new 9m and you'll have it dialled for sure.

Lolomolo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 180
Local Beach: Waddell, Santa Cruz
Favorite Beaches: Favorites so far are Isla Vista in Santa Barbara, Virginia Key in Florida, and Ocean Beach in San Francisco.
Style: Big Air
Gear: SS 7-11M 2019 RPM, 9-10M Raptor V1, 2017 134cm Asylum.

Postby Lolomolo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:45 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:07 pm
In my opinion, if you want to focus on height, you should ride a kite with Delta shape and a fairly high aspect ratio. It gives the ability to ride upwind better and jump higher.
Then, regarding the number of struts, I'd go with a 3 struts kite for 10m size and bigger and a 5 struts kites for 8m and smaller.

Each brand offer at least one of those two option (EVO and Rebel for Duotone, XR for Core, The Raptor for SS, Orbit for North, the Sculp and Hyper for CrazyFly, RS and XS for Eleveight.....).
The Issue with many pure delta kites, is that while they are great for jumping, and are very lofty, they are not designed for extreme wind.
I used to ride the Rally and it just does not hold up in 35knot wind. I can feel that It has a lot more to give, but as soon as I go for jumps in that wind the wingtips fold in on themselves.
(and Iv tried the 2014, 2017, 2019 Rally kites)

This also happens with the Core XR but not as much.

I really want to check out the Orbit at some point.

Lolomolo
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Favorites so far are Isla Vista in Santa Barbara, Virginia Key in Florida, and Ocean Beach in San Francisco.

Postby Lolomolo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:49 pm

3wave wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:51 am
Stick with the raptor I say.
I agree with going for the smaller board.
Go out maxed fully trimmed in......so your digging your heels in the sand on the way to the water
Ride about .... feel the power......kite low at 9
.........release the trim fully........accelerate ...... huck down and edge like f*** till you feel you legs begin to go.........
To quote Bully from years back in Fluid Edge Kite Training Video 2003 " Lock and Load Pilgrim"
See your spot ..start pulling back.crank like f***......last hard edge....release and push off.......boom ..... you should then get 20m easy and more timed with a nice gust you feel

What weight are you.
Technique all the way..,...
Ps. Ensure you have your crew with you if you need to come back in in 10 mins because its too much.........
More time on your new 9m and you'll have it dialled for sure.
Im 180lb I ride a 134" SS Asylum,

Looking forward to some more 30k+ days for this 9m!

Pretty good at holding edge even in crazy conditions cant wait to dial in the 9M! Does it makes sense to go any smaller?
I had a day last week of 45k and It was difficult to ride my 8M RPM. Had it flagged out all the way but It was going all jelly fish on my mid air. (might just be too much wind for 8M RPM, raptor might do better)

Lolomolo
Rare Poster

Postby Lolomolo » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:53 pm

dracop wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:38 am
Raptor and the Orbit are the two hardest kites to find on the beach and demo atm.

The Raptor was a V1 so I would def wat for the V2 as every kite goes through major changes in the early years.

RPMs have an awesome high end, my 2014 11m RPM was my daily driver for personal riding in Cape Town when I taught there in 2015-216. They do not boost anywhere near modern Big Air kites - they are sweeter if you are mixing it up with Unhooked tricks.

Rebel goes head to head with the XR6 and Dice goes head to head with the GTS. XR6 is more nimble than the Rebel and can do a lower Loop, Rebel is more supported and smoother than the XR6 under heavy load. Rebel is extremely difficult to megaloop but does a smooth heliloop and Powered Kiteloop.

If you just want loops the Reedin Supermodel is fantastic at a smooth gentle yanking kiteloop. Mediocre elsewhere but great for kiteloops.

One day I would love to do a proper review on all the Big Air kites on the market nowadays, so hard to demo now.
The GTS is an Open C targeting Big Air and Kiteloops but fails under Extreme Loads, so heavyweight riders in Cape Town are forced elsewhere. In Jan 2020, I was in an 8m GTS and it was warping badly at 50kts - both a 9m Rebel and XR6 held up better that same session. The Dice is more of an all around Open C, have not tested it myself in nuking conditions (40kts+ for a 115kg rider). I am really eager for an SLS or Aluula version of a Dice in 9m or 10m for Day of Days conditions (50kts+).
Good stuff!

I talked to SS team and It looks like V2 isnt coming out :(
They did mention a different big air kite next year though.

Building my GF a quiver of Rebels so i'll get to experiment too.

Good advice for the loadbearing ability of the kites. One of the main things keeping me from going higher is the kites iv owned all start to warp under 35+ knots. Rally are especially bad. Looking forward to testing the raptor in more conditions, so far I havent had any issues!

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9m, SST 4/5/7m, UFO 5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/695/730/600/637 wings and 310/273/230/425/420 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" 2019-2020, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot/Moses 80cm alu mast $240. W695 wing, 1200 sq.cm wing, 273 sq.cm stabilizer

Postby grigorib » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:18 pm

High(er) aspect kites have been delivering great float and heights. The 9m Turbine worked magic, the Ozone Edge did too.
What I liked about the Raptor was ability to stay put at the edge of the wind window in lightwind static flight (compared to small Turbine) - I’d guess bungee bridles do that trick and/or less of delta shape of wingtips.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:07 am

Adek wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:44 pm
Power of kites is depend from model to model, but installing adjusting pigtails and short line extensions on front or rear lines are equalize all kites to appropriate parameters. I never use factory adjustments of my kites. I made my kites flying as I want them to fly. More/less powered, faster or slow in turns. It's easy and very effective as well as much cheaper.
I agree!! My Pivots had too much bar pressure and were not dumping wind on-demand until I added a few inches to the rear lines...

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2019 Duotone Rebels 9m and 12m
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2016 Naish Hero 145
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:08 am

Sorry to hear no Raptor V2, that means V1 did not do well.

If you are really worried about warping and ability to hold in high wind, the Rebel is strongly supported. I held down a 9m in nuking 50+ kts and it did not deform - it will FLEX the entire frame but it did not bend, warp, jellyfish, or deform in anyway. The XR starts to deform after 50kts and a heavyweight rider digging in. Holds up great until you hit that 50 kts though.

As newer materials come online - Aluula and Duotone’s SLS - the stress limits on alot of kites should go up. Shame OR does not do a Razor Aluula.

Lolomolo wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:53 pm
dracop wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:38 am
Raptor and the Orbit are the two hardest kites to find on the beach and demo atm.

The Raptor was a V1 so I would def wat for the V2 as every kite goes through major changes in the early years.

RPMs have an awesome high end, my 2014 11m RPM was my daily driver for personal riding in Cape Town when I taught there in 2015-216. They do not boost anywhere near modern Big Air kites - they are sweeter if you are mixing it up with Unhooked tricks.

Rebel goes head to head with the XR6 and Dice goes head to head with the GTS. XR6 is more nimble than the Rebel and can do a lower Loop, Rebel is more supported and smoother than the XR6 under heavy load. Rebel is extremely difficult to megaloop but does a smooth heliloop and Powered Kiteloop.

If you just want loops the Reedin Supermodel is fantastic at a smooth gentle yanking kiteloop. Mediocre elsewhere but great for kiteloops.

One day I would love to do a proper review on all the Big Air kites on the market nowadays, so hard to demo now.
The GTS is an Open C targeting Big Air and Kiteloops but fails under Extreme Loads, so heavyweight riders in Cape Town are forced elsewhere. In Jan 2020, I was in an 8m GTS and it was warping badly at 50kts - both a 9m Rebel and XR6 held up better that same session. The Dice is more of an all around Open C, have not tested it myself in nuking conditions (40kts+ for a 115kg rider). I am really eager for an SLS or Aluula version of a Dice in 9m or 10m for Day of Days conditions (50kts+).
Good stuff!

I talked to SS team and It looks like V2 isnt coming out :(
They did mention a different big air kite next year though.

Building my GF a quiver of Rebels so i'll get to experiment too.

Good advice for the loadbearing ability of the kites. One of the main things keeping me from going higher is the kites iv owned all start to warp under 35+ knots. Rally are especially bad. Looking forward to testing the raptor in more conditions, so far I havent had any issues!

Lolomolo
Rare Poster

Postby Lolomolo » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:59 pm

Alright to close the subject;
Since no one gave me a strait answer, I decided to test it out myself.

I was definitively holding myself back by used the Raptor. Used my wife's 2020 Rebels for the first time this weekend, and they are by FAR better for boosting, loops, and general controllability in flight.

Went from being scared to do megaloops on the Raptor (having to pray for it to catch me every time) to unlocking 10M+ megaloops in a single session with the Rebels.

Hands down better kite for KOTA type of riding.

RidingRobi
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baltic Sea
Style: Wakestyle, Wave, Foil
Gear: PLKB

Postby RidingRobi » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:25 pm

Rebel is better for MEGAloops? That's a font claim.

Do you have some footage of you doing Megaloops on the Raptor and the Rebel?

Blackened
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
2020 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:39 pm

RidingRobi wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:25 pm
Rebel is better for MEGAloops? That's a font claim.

Do you have some footage of you doing Megaloops on the Raptor and the Rebel?
I agree.

I haven't ridden the Raptor, but have looped plenty of Rebels (and still own them). Can you loop them? Yes. There are a myriad of videos online of people doing it. You can sometimes watch them stall on the climb. If you want a 5-strut looping machine, get an Orbit. The kite is ridiculously unstable, but that instability is designed so you will always, and I mean always, be caught.

Return to “Kitesurfing”