Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Re: Go pro issues related to Kitesurfing, Options

Postby Blackened » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 pm

As you mentioned, the Hero7 has horrific freezing issues. I don't know if the freezing issues persisted to the 8 or 9.

I think GoPro has the best camera and software processing on the market, but if it doesn't work half the time, then what's the point of having it?

RidingRobi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Baltic Sea
Style: Wakestyle, Wave, Foil
Gear: PLKB
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RidingRobi » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:03 pm

ced1 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:21 pm
Hi,

First off let me say that I'm a heavy Gopro user, using mouth and line mounts pretty consistently.
Last week my Gopro 7 black died because water got in. It was just over a year old.
This my second 7black that has died that way the previous one was covered by warranty, but Gopro informed me they would not cover anything further regarding water damage??
I previously had issues with the 5 black as well.

So here are a couple of thoughts.
The Gopros are water proof for a time... After a year you should probably change all the seals.
I have consistently run into freezing issues which is not ideal when your camera is on the kite lines (I operate it via the remote) It always needs a reboot.

Looking at alternatives:

The DJI Osmo has no remote option,

The stabilization of the Gopro Hero 9 looks inviting, but it is not compatible with the older remote. It's also a different Battery format so I can't use any of the spare batteries. Overall it would be a steep price to pay. Also Does it suffer the same freezing glitch? From what I see on the net, it does.

Insta 360 is pricey and not sure it would withstand constant sea water exposure.
Other cameras would be difficult to use with all the accessories I have.

Anyone have other recommendations?

I do understand that a camera in constant contact with the ocean wouldn't last forever, but for the price I would expect at least two years...

Ced
You can still use your old batteries, they just don't last as long.
I have my 8 since it's release and it's working perfectly.
I use the silicone cases to protect the buttons and doors and to prevent the door from opening accidentally. Works perfect.

Before having the silicone case the door opened once during a bad crash. Luckily the GoPro started working again after 2 days on the heater and filled with rice :D
I also think that the silicone case helps reducing stress on the seals of the buttons etc.

A friend of mine has Osmo, except the price point it is inferior to my 8 in every regard.

I would stick to GoPro. The sensor and stabilization are just the best on the market.
There have been so many action cams on the market over the years that were hyped but then disappeared fast again. The only one that stayed is GoPro and I think that's for a reason

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:24 am

Blackened wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 pm
As you mentioned, the Hero7 has horrific freezing issues. I don't know if the freezing issues persisted to the 8 or 9.

I think GoPro has the best camera and software processing on the market, but if it doesn't work half the time, then what's the point of having it?
Yeah Agreed, very frustrating. They are like so close to perfect but not quite. But I guess they need to sell new cameras...

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:27 am

RidingRobi wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:03 pm

You can still use your old batteries, they just don't last as long.
I have my 8 since it's release and it's working perfectly.
I use the silicone cases to protect the buttons and doors and to prevent the door from opening accidentally. Works perfect.

Before having the silicone case the door opened once during a bad crash. Luckily the GoPro started working again after 2 days on the heater and filled with rice :D
I also think that the silicone case helps reducing stress on the seals of the buttons etc.

A friend of mine has Osmo, except the price point it is inferior to my 8 in every regard.

I would stick to GoPro. The sensor and stabilization are just the best on the market.
There have been so many action cams on the market over the years that were hyped but then disappeared fast again. The only one that stayed is GoPro and I think that's for a reason
Thanks will look into the silicone protective option, However no doubt I would use an extra protective case in future.

Ced

Return to “Kitesurfing”