Local Beach: Frederiksberg C
Favorite Beaches: Amager Beach
Sydvestpynten
Gear: North Rebel 9/11 2018
Brand Affiliation: None

wetsuit thickness (6 or 5 mm?) and model

Postby tense_9000 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:03 pm

Hi folks.

I could use a bit of help regarding buying a new winter wetsuit.

I live in Denmark and currently own an old non-hooded 5/3 wetsuit, which is still fully functional - but not warm enough for me in the colder months up here.
Sea temperatures get to around 2 degrees celcius for around 3 months over winter. In the summer they go to around 18 max.

My current wetsuit is great for summer, but I want something which enables me to get out from November-April.

I've mainly considered

Rip Curl Flashbomb (6/5/4)
Xcel Drylock (6/4)

The Flashbomb is easier to get here.
However, I'm considering whether 6mm is too thick? I might not get out much during especially January and February - and then 6mm would maybe be overkill?

Appreciate any inputs here.

Thanks
/Johan

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Re: wetsuit thickness (6 or 5 mm?) and model

Postby br44 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:56 pm

Did you try layering? If you already have some neoprene shorts/pants and a jacket, or a shorty, then put those on as well. Underneath or on top, depending on sizes. A kayaking nylon shell top, neoprene hoodie would help too.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:04 am

Hi,

I am from NL and just had a few sessions in 2 degrees water this year.
First point:
You need gear up for the worst possible situation. At most deep water/sea spots that is probably at least an hour worth of drifting with your gear while doing a self rescue with side-shore conditions.
I can tell you from experience (learning to foil) that being in the water in 2 degrees will really cool you down.

It might vary a little bit from person to person (e.g. I don't have a lot of natural isolation with 190cm / 75KG)
I would personally always go for the best fitting thickest suit with a hood:
* A good fitting winter suit should keep all water out. Its pretty much a dry suit. Make sure the brand and suit is a good fit for you body build. Preferably a local shop can tell you that for the Rip Curl or Xcel and your body type.
* Hoods will help keep water out and that adds a lot of warmth. You can usually just pull it down if it is to hot.
* The hotter the core the less problematic your extremities are. The warmer you are the less of a problem frozen hands (will be e.g. important if you need to reset your chicken loop, might be impossible with gloves)
* Suits get colder over time because they stretch, get thinner and more water gets in
* You can always just dunk yourself in the water to cool down if needed

I personally have a Patagonia R4 which I like.
The thickest point at the chest is 7mm legs are about 5mm, arms are 4mm
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
tense_9000 (Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

jhonson
Medium Poster

Postby jhonson » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:10 am

Both wetsuits are good but the problem is gloves and shoes. I kite winter in Norway with 6/4 wetsuit 7mm mittens (XCEL) and 8mm shoes (SOLITE).

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:31 am

Rip Curl Flashbomb (6/5/4) is superb wetsuite, I have zipless 4/3, gloves, booties and hood from Rip Curl however, I would consider drysuite for such a cold weather. I have OR Heat 2.0 with socks and it kicks ass. My fingers are much warmer now as my core temperature is higher. Putting wet suite on and off if much much much easier and quicker than think 6/4 wentsuite. I have top model of O'Neil 6/4 hooded suite but planning not to use it anymore and jump straight to Zipless 4/3 once air/water temps exceed 12degC. I used to hate the most part of riding in winter when I had to take suite off not it takes me literally a 1min and I'm jumping to my car in dry clothes to drive to home/work.

As mentioned above your fingers will get cold no matter how thick if your wetsuite

Return to “Kitesurfing”