Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Sherman Island
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fatality at Topanga Canyon California

Postby Wind Over Water » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:29 am

I saw the video. It looked like he slipped, accidentally pulled the bar and took the kite down, then he over corrected the kite too quickly back to 12, which lifted him up and he hit head first into the sand/rocks.

Super sad. What could've prevented this tho? Could he have ejected in time to prevent the kite lifting him up? It happened so fast.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Havre » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:26 am

Sad sad reminder to remember that you can always slip. I remember one time being extremely overpowered in gusty conditions on land - thinking I had full control, but obviously I wouldn't have had if I have had slipped.

Not criticizing him for not thinking about it of course. Impossible to remove all danger from kitesurfing.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Bille (Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:59 am)
Rating: 6.67%

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:18 pm

This is very sad to hear. I have seen Cliff on the beaches from time to time.
waynepjh wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:25 pm
After watching the video it looks like the kite started to dive to one side and he brought it back past 12 way to quickly. No helmet and probably would not of helped. He hit head first going pretty fast. So awful to watch. Rip❤️
A helmet makes a huge difference if it is a good kayaking style helmet.
It takes very little for a hard hit to the head to kill someone.

I can say for sure that a helmet is well worth the very marginal bother of putting it on.

I was returning home from kitesurfing on my yamaha Super Tenere when I hit a dear at 60MPH.
Zero time to do anything. It was a head on hit and the deer came out of the dark in a split second.
I flew in the air and landed hedd and left shoulder first on the hard and very abrasive surface of Mullholland highway.
I must have gone 15-20ft in the air because the mark on the road surface from my helmet (9ft long scar on the blacktop the color of my helmet) was about 80 ft from the skid mark of the front tire being turned all the way by the deer.

I also had an airbag vest on that saved my shoulder.

I was back on my feet in seconds.

Sure my motorcycle helmet is more than my kite kayaking helmet, but keep in mind I was going 60mph.

I know Topanga Canyon beach very well. It is by no means a safe kitesurfing spot. metal erosion barrier, tight launch area, houses right up to the water.
The rocks are what I would call a graveyard. masses of rocks.

It is more important than ever to wear a helmet. Many of the beaches have less sand than usual. Loads of exposed rocks at so many locations.

Also the compact sand especially when tide is going down, is almost as hard as rock.

I've gone cross country and way down dirt trails on off road to go kiting with my motorcycle.
When I get there the motorcycle helmet comes off and on goes the kayak helmet. Please don't kite without a helmet!

These users thanked the author FredBGG for the post (total 9):
slowboat (Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:58 pm) • Matteo V (Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:50 pm) • surfbird (Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:56 pm) • sonny2727 (Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:45 am) • Hugh2 (Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:36 pm) • Bille (Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:34 pm) • Flyingseb (Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:51 pm) • Eduardo (Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:09 pm) • iriejohn (Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:49 am)
Rating: 60%

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:39 pm

FredBGG wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:18 pm
When I get there the motorcycle helmet comes off and on goes the kayak helmet.
The name of your kayak helmet please ?

Bille

Flyingseb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Naish Draft, North Dyno, OR mako board, DIY boards, hydrofoil

Postby Flyingseb » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:02 pm

FredBGG wrote:

It is more important than ever to wear a helmet. Many of the beaches have less sand than usual. Loads of exposed rocks at so many locations.

Also the compact sand especially when tide is going down, is almost as hard as rock.

I've gone cross country and way down dirt trails on off road to go kiting with my motorcycle.
When I get there the motorcycle helmet comes off and on goes the kayak helmet. Please don't kite without a helmet!

I’m totally with you on that one, but I don’t see significant progress on how many riders wearing helmets. More the opposite.
As long as pro riders don’t wear them, and don’t make them look cool, I’m not confident in casual and futur (YouTube) pro riders to change their habit.
Who would ride a motorcycle without one? It took ages for people to understand it doesn’t kill the fun to ride.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:28 pm

FredBGG wrote:
A helmet makes a huge difference if it is a good kayaking style helmet.
It takes very little for a hard hit to the head to kill someone.

I can say for sure that a helmet is well worth the very marginal bother of putting it on.

I was returning home from kitesurfing on my yamaha Super Tenere when I hit a dear at 60MPH.
Zero time to do anything. It was a head on hit and the deer came out of the dark in a split second.
I flew in the air and landed hedd and left shoulder first on the hard and very abrasive surface of Mullholland highway.
I must have gone 15-20ft in the air because the mark on the road surface from my helmet (9ft long scar on the blacktop the color of my helmet) was about 80 ft from the skid mark of the front tire being turned all the way by the deer.

I also had an airbag vest on that saved my shoulder.

I was back on my feet in seconds.

Sure my motorcycle helmet is more than my kite kayaking helmet, but keep in mind I was going 60mph.

I know Topanga Canyon beach very well. It is by no means a safe kitesurfing spot. metal erosion barrier, tight launch area, houses right up to the water.
The rocks are what I would call a graveyard. masses of rocks.

Nice Tenere! And long time no see -- welcome back :D

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:28 pm

matth wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:31 pm
I have seen the video...looks like he got tossed about 20 feet. Doesn't look all that violent but apparently it doesn't take much....RIP
You make a very important point.

When you bash your head it does not take much to be killed or seriously injured with life changing consequences.

That is why it is so important to wear a helmet. Even in a minor situation a helmet can save you from being dazed for a few seconds if you hit your had even not enough to injure yourself, but enough to dissorient yourself. We all know how bad things can go in 3 seconds.

I even have a scar on my head from where a kiteboard fin went through a helmet in a freak accident when I bothered a downloop jump and my board somehow got flicked off my board and smacked into my head with the fin going through the helmet and just nicking my skin making a nasty gash.

Another time someone lost his fucking heavy kitesurfing directional in big surf. Damn thing smacked right into the back of my head as I dived under the wave and even with the helmet I was dazed just a bit.
I have to think what could have happened without a helmet.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:59 pm

This is an old aerial photo of Topanga State beach kite launch area.

This is from October 2004. In spring there is much less sand, and over the years the sand has become less.

As you can see from the beach the sand ifs full of huge rocks, there is a giant rusty steel anti erosion wall.
The wall has rotted more over the years and is shorter so the sand has eroded away exposing more rocks.
Just under the water there are rocks everywhere.

County Line also has loads of exposed rocks this time of yea. There is a very rocky point on the north west end of County line as well as massive rocks in front of the houses at the South east end of the beach.

Here are exposed rocks and exposed bedrock at County Line about mid beach.

Even Nicolas canyon that appears to be an all sand beach has a few nasty rocks lurking under the water and sand. I have destroyed two boards hitting those rocks. Make sure you know where they are.
Also if you get blown downwind there is a very rocky point at the south end of Nicolas canyon.

At zuma Broad Beach is not longer broad beach and there is a massive anti erosion rock barrier all the way down the beach.

I never kite without a helmet, especially Malibu.

Return to “Kitesurfing”