Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: Landline lines recoil vs trimlite: Cab

Postby nixmatters » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:35 am

CanadianGringo wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:49 am
Huh? Bottom line is cab doesn't sell stuff on their website?
this is Cabrinha's online store:
https://adventuresportsusa.com/products ... 0024777863

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:06 pm

Using my iPhone so getting the mobile version of the Cabrihna web site, I found order options directly from them, under submenu Gear, then Spare Parts, then by Year with 2021 back to 2011. Some things were sold out but there was an option to be notified when they would be back in stock.

I’ve always gotten great service, mostly on small stuff and information, a few rip repairs, when in Maui and go into the headquarters store, Adventure Sports.

I would recommend calling the Adventure Sports nearest you (time zone is easier) if you’re having trouble getting parts.
These users thanked the author Dave_5280 for the post:
Kamikuza (Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:00 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

CanadianGringo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northern Ontario Lakes
Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Lake Simcoe
Squamish
Crescent Beach NS
The Gorge
Gear: Naish/Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby CanadianGringo » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:15 am

Thanks for everyone’s help ....

Here’s my new problem.... restrung my bar - all of the lines.

As I was riding (and gusting 35 knots) the knot under the plastic cup (not the chicken loop one but the other) - went through the cup. That’s where the 8m line meets the landing line.

Obviously this created a situation where the flagging line was too long. Lost control pulling me one one direction and flagged it.

What is the textbook Canrinha way to connect the landline line to the 8m line? I figure a regular line to line is connection is the way to go but clearly the knot is not big enough.

Could I have mixed up the grey and white cups?

Really wondering what I did wrong. Could have really hurt myself had this happened closer to shore.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:47 am

It's a Lark's head like the way the other parts of the line are connected.

I don't know if there's a difference in cups (Power Bracket Seat), I've assumed there all the same just different colors for different years.

Unless yours was already cracked...? I've heard of this in other brands recently but not Cab, although I'm not surprised.

CanadianGringo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Northern Ontario Lakes
Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Lake Simcoe
Squamish
Crescent Beach NS
The Gorge
Gear: Naish/Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby CanadianGringo » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:17 am

:argue:
Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:47 am

I don't know if there's a difference in cups (Power Bracket Seat), I've assumed there all the same just different colors for different years.

Unless yours was already cracked...? I've heard of this in other brands recently but not Cab, although I'm not surprised.

Interesting. Could it be that I used the wrong side of the landline line to connect to the 8m line?

The eyelet on one side seems to be bigger than the other eyelet. (On the landline line). Does that make sense?

UPDATE:PLS SEE PHOTO. You will see the plastic is ruined a bit.

I can’t believe it but it looks like the plastic cup was damaged.
My bar was fine until I changed the lines.
Very disappointed that this little piece of plastic plays such a massive role in ones safety - but can fail in one year.........

On the plus side - safety system (flagging still works)
On the down side there a million things that can go wrong too. I suppose that can be said about kiting in general.

Just I have never doubted canrinha until now ....
Attachments
1FAE52A7-6EEF-4E48-8294-B2C77B42C6AA.jpeg
60B8D4FD-F0F0-4365-9813-4B3E084D483F.jpeg

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:36 am

Yep, everything depends on that little POS $2 piece of plastic, and on the occasions it's failed, it's cost me a $1200 twin tip and my GPS watch.

You'll be pleased to know that the landing line's loop get chewed up in there too, leading to snapped lines and more rescues/disasters. And then you have no "safety" line at all, which is lots of fun.

It's a cascade of design decision failures -- you could solve the problem of knots slipping through holes or wearing the loops out by using a thicker Landing Line, but then it'll be too thick to have a bungy inside to take the slack up when you trim and won't feed through the PU tube when you release.

Mini-fifth is the safest option, and after testing it for a few sessions it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. You can just use an old 8m lower landing line and add about a 2-inch leader up at the lower/upper landing line connection point to sort the length.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:31 am

Kamikuza wrote:

There are 2 'cups' with different sizes:
- Power Bracket Seat, which we are now talking about - plastic light grey, not Stainless Steel, as stated in Cab website!
Cabrinha code KS8PBSEAT, used on all their bars, 2018 to date. The Stainless Steel was the 2017 one, subject to a recall.
- a slightly larger one that's sits at the QR, at opposite end of the bungee landing line (2018 - yellow, 2019 - grey/black, 2020 - dark grey)

When I replaced my front lines with slightly thicker ones, the spliced loop could barely go through the light grey Power Bracket Seat, so I used the lower yellow 'cup'.
Just in case I reached out to Cabrinha and was told that it's a dangerous mod as the yellow cup is not as strong as the Power Bracket Seat!
quickloop-2018_doubled loop to loop.jpg
The loop to loop knot slipping through that cup/stopper was recently discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2407301
I gave a suggestion on how to make the loop to loop knot larger. Disclaimer: use at your own risk!
Check if it will run smoothly through the PU tube. Mine runs just fine on release, but getting it back through needs some tension
Attachments
PBS.JPG
QR 2018-2019-2020.JPG
loop to loop double.JPG
loop to loop double.JPG (50.61 KiB) Viewed 220 times
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
CanadianGringo (Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:11 pm)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:06 am

nixmatters wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:31 am
Kamikuza wrote:

There are 2 'cups' with different sizes:
- Power Bracket Seat, which we are now talking about - plastic light grey, not Stainless Steel, as stated in Cab website!
Cabrinha code KS8PBSEAT, used on all their bars, 2018 to date. The Stainless Steel was the 2017 one, subject to a recall.
- a slightly larger one that's sits at the QR, at opposite end of the bungee landing line (2018 - yellow, 2019 - grey/black, 2020 - dark grey)

When I replaced my front lines with slightly thicker ones, the spliced loop could barely go through the light grey Power Bracket Seat, so I used the lower yellow 'cup'.
Just in case I reached out to Cabrinha and was told that it's a dangerous mod as the yellow cup is not as strong as the Power Bracket Seat!
quickloop-2018_doubled loop to loop.jpg

The loop to loop knot slipping through that cup/stopper was recently discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2407301
I gave a suggestion on how to make the loop to loop knot larger. Disclaimer: use at your own risk!
Check if it will run smoothly through the PU tube. Mine runs just fine on release, but getting it back through needs some tension
Didn't know they were different strengths (really?) but assumed they were different sizes because of the swivel.

Also assumed that PBS was grey but I've only had two years of Cab bars so didn't want to spread fake news :D

The stainless PBS is the one that cost me my board :angryfire:

Guess I'm lucky I haven't had the knots slip through :roll: but even with the extra loop, it's the PBS's nature to abraid line in there --one snapped the SLL loop, and the other two were fraying badly :roll:

I wonder if bars that still use a front line-thick safety line but have that new style nylon block like the Sentinel are any better...

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:08 pm

You might watch some of their online Tech Tips and get some ideas, and try calling Phil Sobolev who does the videos and has worked there many years at the Maui headquarters. If you can’t find a number try calling Adventure Sports in Maui and ask for him, corporate offices are above the store so they will know how to reach him. I’ve taken bars into that store and they’ve worked on them so you could send them the bar also.

Link to their videos:
https://www.cabrinha.com/blogs/videos

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:54 pm

Hey there, the Powerbracket Seat is fiber reinforced resin (gray color). It must be used. An incorrect part in it's place is untested and could cause problems. If there is damage to the part, replace it. I have a stack in my office, so they are "available" despite covid-related supply chain issues. The end loop in the line is tight going through the opening by design. Installation is: lower 8m 1X line comes from above the powerbracket and threads through the hole, then through the powerbracket seat (thread through the small diameter end first). The SLF landing line is loop-to-loop connected so that the knot sits up in the cavity of the powerbracket seat and the small diameter end of the powerbracket seat fits into the hole in the powerbracket when the system is all under normal kite flying load. To make it easy to put the SLF landing line back into the depower main line PU tube / spinning handle / QR, first attached a line to the end that you would attach a leash and pull from the top so that there is a way to put it back together.

Todd
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
nixmatters (Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:07 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”