Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Dominican Republic For Late April - Windy?

Forum for kitesurfers
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dominican Republic For Late April - Windy?

Postby Flyboy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:00 am

TimG wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:27 am
[
Haha thanks again for that info! I totally agree with you from a romantic side. She does kite however! She just doesn’t want to do only kiting. She also loves North Carolina and has always wanted to visit. So she said she would be okay with going there or the Dominican!

With that being said, assuming both Cape Hatteras and Cabarete are equal with non-wind activities, where would you prefer to go when it comes to a higher chance of good wind?

Thanks again for all of your help! Super useful information
It would have been helpful if you mentioned that your fiancé kites to start with! In its own way Hatteras is a beautiful spot & the kiting conditions can be outstanding there because of the opportunities offered by the Sound. Mostly people who go there drive - it's relatively remote, but easily drivable from anywhere on the east coast up into eastern Canada. It's a place where you can rent a very nice, big house with a bunch of fellow kiters & hang out for a couple of weeks. In late April you are pretty much guaranteed to have good wind for some days & possibly warm sunny weather too ... but it could also be fairly cold & stormy, or warm & sunny but calm. There's not too much to do if there's no wind, other than walking on the beach, fishing or visiting the Wright memorial, or the small museum in Hatteras village. Wind in Hatteras often comes in ferocious chunks with no wind in-between. On the north coast of the DR you are more likely to have consistent wind each afternoon - assuming that the trades are firing reasonably well.

If your beloved kites, then you might actually consider going to Buen Hombre. For a weeklong honeymoon getaway it might be just the ticket. From what I understand, the wind there is the same as Cabarete ... just stronger. That means if the trades are stalled & there's no wind anywhere, it's not going to be windy at Buen Hombre either. But if it's blowing 12 -14 knots at Cabarete, the chances are it will be blowing 14 - 18 at Buen Hombre. If it's 14 - 18 knots at Cabarete, it's likely to be blowing 18 - 22 knots at Buen Hombre. There are a lot more amenities: grocery stores, restaurants, clothing & kite stores, bars & dance clubs in Cabarete than there are in Buen Hombre, so I don't know about spending a couple of months there, but for a week for a kitesurfing couple it may perfect.

TimG
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 170
Local Beach: Houston
Style: Big Air
Gear: Rebel, monarch

Postby TimG » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:10 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:00 am
TimG wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:27 am
[
Haha thanks again for that info! I totally agree with you from a romantic side. She does kite however! She just doesn’t want to do only kiting. She also loves North Carolina and has always wanted to visit. So she said she would be okay with going there or the Dominican!

With that being said, assuming both Cape Hatteras and Cabarete are equal with non-wind activities, where would you prefer to go when it comes to a higher chance of good wind?

Thanks again for all of your help! Super useful information
It would have been helpful if you mentioned that your fiancé kites to start with! In its own way Hatteras is a beautiful spot & the kiting conditions can be outstanding there because of the opportunities offered by the Sound. Mostly people who go there drive - it's relatively remote, but easily drivable from anywhere on the east coast up into eastern Canada. It's a place where you can rent a very nice, big house with a bunch of fellow kiters & hang out for a couple of weeks. In late April you are pretty much guaranteed to have good wind for some days & possibly warm sunny weather too ... but it could also be fairly cold & stormy, or warm & sunny but calm. There's not too much to do if there's no wind, other than walking on the beach, fishing or visiting the Wright memorial, or the small museum in Hatteras village. Wind in Hatteras often comes in ferocious chunks with no wind in-between. On the north coast of the DR you are more likely to have consistent wind each afternoon - assuming that the trades are firing reasonably well.

If your beloved kites, then you might actually consider going to Buen Hombre. For a weeklong honeymoon getaway it might be just the ticket. From what I understand, the wind there is the same as Cabarete ... just stronger. That means if the trades are stalled & there's no wind anywhere, it's not going to be windy at Buen Hombre either. But if it's blowing 12 -14 knots at Cabarete, the chances are it will be blowing 14 - 18 at Buen Hombre. If it's 14 - 18 knots at Cabarete, it's likely to be blowing 18 - 22 knots at Buen Hombre. There are a lot more amenities: grocery stores, restaurants, clothing & kite stores, bars & dance clubs in Cabarete than there are in Buen Hombre, so I don't know about spending a couple of months there, but for a week for a kitesurfing couple it may perfect.
It’s been decided! I mentioned to her that that we will need wetsuits for Cape Hatteras and she immediately said that we should go to Cabarete haha. I think I will try to do a road trip to Buen Hombre from Cabarete if we are suffering from too much light wind. I’m also keen to learn foiling so I’ll bring my foil for light wind days.

Thanks for your help and hopefully we luck out on wind!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:24 pm

I completely understand your wife ;-)

Let us know how the wind was, and if you went to Buen Hombre.

Have a great trip!

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:36 pm

Haha. I used to be the same when it came to wetsuits. Now I don't mind.

And yeah - will be cool to hear what kind of wind you get.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:13 pm

Let us know the result. Early on we had a week at Spring Break in Cabarete, C-kites and all that crap, and got no wind at all for six days. But it was a nice beach and warm. Now we go to Avon third week of April for the past 20 years, always a good time with friends in big houses on the water with options of sound or beach riding, great downwinders, and some epic strong winds or gentle days for foiling.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:41 pm

Let's face it: a week trip anywhere in the world is a bit of a crap shoot. 3 consecutive days of no wind is common at any "windy" destination ... & that may occasionally turn into 5 or 6 days, or even more. Wind in the Caribbean is quite predictable - just look at the wind maps covering the whole area.

http://www.yachtibis.com/caribbean-weather/

My simple summary: in the winter cold fronts from north push down south & disrupt the flow of the trade winds. The islands to the north: Cuba, the DR, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands are more affected by these fronts, while the more southerly islands: Barbados, St; Lucia, Grenada etc. are less affected. The area that consistently seems to experience the strongest wind Dec - April is the Caribbean coast of Colombia.

In the summer, the more northerly islands , like the DR, have a steadier, stronger flow from the trades & the wind is more predictable.

LibertySky
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 95kg
Local Beach: Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Style: Big Air/Freeride
Gear: North Orbit

Postby LibertySky » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:44 pm

Guys, I'm going to Cabarete at the very begging of April and will stay for 2 weeks. I'll report you about wind conditions
These users thanked the author LibertySky for the post (total 2):
Toby (Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:39 pm) • Havre (Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:53 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:04 am

Here's the most recent forecast from Stefan (who BTW isn't affiliated with a kite school as far as I am aware). His forecasts are usually quite accurate ... which is to say they reflect the general forecast for the Caribbean adjusted for the particularities of Cabarete. In my experience you can generally knock 2 - 4 knots off the top end, which means a 16 - 22 knot forecast probably means an average winter day of 14 - 18 knots in the later afternoon - a day for a SB with an 11m kite. 18 - 24 knots forecast means I would likely use a 9m kite, & an 18 - 26 knots forecast means I would likely use a 8m kite. Bottom line: 11 days of solid wind. It's likely the wind everywhere in the northern Caribbean will be decent over this period, no strong cold fronts from the north disrupting the trade wind flow. Good time to visit :thumb:
Cabarete wind.jpg

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:16 pm

april is the worst month for springtime...

...but you would be unlikely to get 3 straight days of no wind in april... especially if you can foil.

iirc, the worst times i've seen in cabarete for wind were from late september until december.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:42 pm

elguapo wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:16 pm
april is the worst month for springtime...

...but you would be unlikely to get 3 straight days of no wind in april... especially if you can foil.

iirc, the worst times i've seen in cabarete for wind were from late september until december.
Possibly, but I have been going to Cabarete in Dec/Jan (usually for a month or more) when the wind statistics are supposedly worse than in April. In perhaps 12 visits in the last 18 years I have always about had 70 - 80% kitable days, which is to say over 12 knots. With foiling 10 - 12 knot days have now become "kiting days" also. There are always days with no wind - sometimes 4 or 5 days in a row. If you go for a week with those conditions you're going to be out of luck. However, days like this are not particular to Cabarete, but generally reflect what is happening throughout the Caribbean, at least in the northern Caribbean.

Return to “Kitesurfing”