9 m2 Core Nexus 2 2021
10 m2 Flysurfer Soul 2020
12 m2 CF Sculp 2022
F-one trax
RL-boards orca foil set-up
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Evo SLS or Nexus2 or ?, 9m

Postby jbrodin » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:31 pm

To give a little update: I am very happy with my Nexus 2 9m2. I use it exclusively on TT on windy days (for hydrofoil I have Peak4s that I prefer). The Nexus is an excellent free-ride/boosting kite, very quick, great for loops and super good at gusts and handling a LOT of wind. The only downside is the low-end. Compared to other 9m kites it is not powerful, so for that reason I opted for testing a 12m2 Crazyfly Sculp to fulfill the twintip quiver.

bkkite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 7/9/12/15. Nobile NHP and Nobile split surf / foil board. Slingshot hover glide foil

Postby bkkite » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:34 am

I've been riding Core XR4s and 5s the past couple years, and I just switched to the Nexus 2, I've also ridden a Evo (but not the SLS). I also only rode the Evo on a twin tip... so it's not a perfect comparison, I found the Evo to turn quite a bit faster than the XR, but it didn't boost as high. I liked how playful it was, but I didn't really test out how well it drifted or looped.

The Nexus 2 I got because I'm foiling and surfing a lot more these days. Compare to the XR it's a lot faster, it drifts way better, and the down loops are less grunty and more predictable. I'm loving them, and switching over from the XRs. I find the boosting to be pretty fun, and not a huge drop from the XR, it just takes more technique to be able to get as much air. The biggest difference is the XR really floats on the way down, the Nexus 2 comes down faster and needs some kite movement to stay floating... it was a fun surprise the first couple times, but now I'm feeling really good about jumping on the Nexus 2. I have a 9m, and I'm about to get the 12m. I got an xlite 12m as well, which is a single strut kite with the shape of the Nexus, and I love it, I can foil in it sub 10mph / 9knots...

The Nexus 2 does have less power than the XR (which is more of a high performance delta kite, so it makes sense), it noticeable enough where I can go out on a 9m XR and be overpowered, and go out on the 9m Nexus and be a bit underpowered. Hope that helps!

dericcio2
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South of Germany and north east Italy
Style: Freestyle Freeride
Gear: Vegas 10 12 14
Waroo 7
Kahoona 10.5
JN Circus
Nobile Zen Split Hydrofoil

Postby dericcio2 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:04 am

it s not always a downside.

how much do you weight?
what is lowend for you?
jbrodin wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:31 pm
To give a little update: I am very happy with my Nexus 2 9m2. I use it exclusively on TT on windy days (for hydrofoil I have Peak4s that I prefer). The Nexus is an excellent free-ride/boosting kite, very quick, great for loops and super good at gusts and handling a LOT of wind. The only downside is the low-end. Compared to other 9m kites it is not powerful, so for that reason I opted for testing a 12m2 Crazyfly Sculp to fulfill the twintip quiver.

jbrodin
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: 4 m2 Flysurfer Peak4 2020
5 m2 Cabrinha Radar 2015
7 m2 North Neo 2013
8 m2 Flysurfer Peak4 2021
9 m2 Core Nexus 2 2021
10 m2 Flysurfer Soul 2020
12 m2 CF Sculp 2022
F-one trax
RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:24 am

dericcio2 wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:04 am
it s not always a downside.

how much do you weight?
what is lowend for you?
jbrodin wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:31 pm

The 9m2 Nexus 2 is definitely not a light-wind kite. I can probably stay upwind from 16 knots (I weigh 75 kg), but the fun starts at 18. On the bright side I have yet to experience not being able to handle gusts or sudden unexpected high wind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”