Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Forum for kitesurfers
Paleofit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 165
Local Beach: SF Bay Area: Toll plaza
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core xr6, Ocean Rodeo Flite, Shinn Bronq and King Gee
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Postby Paleofit » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:54 am

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Postby leeuwen » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:12 am

Interesting to see they are not making any size over 12m.
Also I seem to be missing the weights on the website ?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:04 am

Makes sense as only Branson could afford a 13m :lol:
These users thanked the author Havre for the post (total 2):
nixmatters (Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:19 am) • decay (Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:00 pm)
Rating: 6.25%

Paleofit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 165
Local Beach: SF Bay Area: Toll plaza
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core xr6, Ocean Rodeo Flite, Shinn Bronq and King Gee

Postby Paleofit » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:15 am

A 13 would be a really nice size to have. Bigger folks want to jump!

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:55 am

I think the idea is to design a 'Big Air' kite for Giel Vlugt to attack the XR & Edge...

They have an opportunity to easily take the Crown as long they don't try to reinvent the wheel and waste years on flapping canopies, slow turning, heavy bar pressure and Hindenburg fall outa the damn sky crap.. yes other brands have done that in the last 2 years.

Imagine what you could do with an XR or Edge at half the weight - I hear everyone say Oh there too slow turning. So how much faster would a 2kg kite turn, there's the money shot. Just copy them so we can get to the Moon quicker... looking up in the air, I see 4 lines connected to a kite. Who honestly cares if you copy a design and change the Wingtip..

If im jumping and looping my 12m Flite in 30 knots like its a 9m - you can see the potential, it's not until you've ridden the Aluula material, that you'll ever understand the difference.

Its the Brand Logo on the canopy that tells us what it is - if it says Ocean Rodeo, its an Ocean rodeo on the Moon, that's what we see, nothing else :thumb: :thumb:

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 pm

Or (pun intended) make a 7 strut kite of the same weight as typical 5 strut. I still keep couple high AR 7 strut and compared to 5 struts the no-flapping feature is fantastic.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:30 pm

I wonder if OR has done any playing around with an all Aluula kite? - Canopy, struts, leading edge - 100% Aluula. I suspect the cost would be absurd and not really marketable but I have to think some of the design team at OR has been playing around with the what-ifs?

I do wish they made the Rise in a 15. Possibly the most perfect snowkite ever.

The Flite still blows my mind at the range this kite will behave in. I know I've flown my 17 in over 24mph (because there is a reliable highway weather station very close by) & it was never out of control. Yet it flies easily in 12-14 and loops so nicely for such light wind & such a big kite.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:57 pm

They are already making a full aluula wing including canopy.
They are working on a kite with full aluula as well.
IIRC they think they can make a 1KG 10M kite, it was mentioned in a podcast interview with some guys from OR
Not sure what kite will be the first that gets this treatment but by the end of 2023 we should probably see something like this.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:58 pm

lewmt wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:30 pm
I wonder if OR has ... an all Aluula kite? - Canopy, struts, leading edge - 100% Aluula.

I do wish they made the Rise in a 15. ....
It's all happening. Have a look at the 2022 AWSI interview Kitesurfing Magazine did with Richard Myerscough :

Jump to about 6:00 into the video to get the scoop on the new Aluula canopy fabric that will be introduced first in wings. Jump next to about 9:30 for OR's plan to turn the Flite into a 5-strut higher-aspect big-air boosting kite.

Looking forward to the promised 1 kg 10m 3-strut kite, should be awesome for light-wind foiling !
These users thanked the author GregK for the post:
lewmt (Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:02 pm)
Rating: 3.13%

Return to “Kitesurfing”