Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Forum for kitesurfers
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:26 pm

Is the industry to be blamed if some dies launching at a dangerous spot?

If equipment fails, sure, but not if people take a risk.
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Digdawg (Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:09 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:26 pm
Is the industry to be blamed if some dies launching at a dangerous spot?

If equipment fails, sure, but not if people take a risk.
Absolutely not. Not necessarily for failed equipment even ( except in extreme cases), Because we should be thinking about and planning for failed equipment... because it does and will happen... if it is possible .. it will happen at some stage.

Lines snap, qrs fail, depowers snap, lines get caught, bridles get caught, bladders explode, bars snap, kites rip in half, kites deathloop.

I would like to see more focus on the progression of safety in kite design... and less on .. faster lighter higher and more high tech.

That doesn’t necessarily mean making even more levels of failure too in design.. ie over complicated design.

deathlooping is a design problem.. one that very few kite designers still seem to take seriously ... maybe they just are oblivious to it... wouldn’t surprise me.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:04 pm

No death looping on a 20...so come on OR, make us a safe kite!
These users thanked the author Toby for the post:
Flyingseb (Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:15 pm)

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:39 pm

Kristan wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:44 pm
fernmanus wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:42 pm
I see so many complain on this forum about the cost of equipment. When you pick a sport, you probably researched the costs. You knew what you were getting into and if not, it is your own fault. Why whine about the cost of a equipment that you don’t have to ever buy? No one is holding a gun to your head.
No one's whining about the price here. Rather we find it ridiculous when someone wishes to buy clearly overpriced item for minor advantage which could be achieved by using better suited equipment for lower price.
There is free choice how to spend money, you don't want to buy it then no problem. You're just trying to set yourself up on higher moral ground than people who spend their money in different ways to you. Must make you feel better about yourself.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
Digdawg (Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:31 am)

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 am

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:39 pm
Kristan wrote:
fernmanus wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:42 pm
I see so many complain on this forum about the cost of equipment. When you pick a sport, you probably researched the costs. You knew what you were getting into and if not, it is your own fault. Why whine about the cost of a equipment that you don’t have to ever buy? No one is holding a gun to your head.
No one's whining about the price here. Rather we find it ridiculous when someone wishes to buy clearly overpriced item for minor advantage which could be achieved by using better suited equipment for lower price.
There is free choice how to spend money, you don't want to buy it then no problem. You're just trying to set yourself up on higher moral ground than people who spend their money in different ways to you. Must make you feel better about yourself.
People can spend $ on anything they like. It’s the marketing, lie pimping that is the problem and agenda to turn kitesurfing into a performance equipment based sport.. which it isn’t.. for higher margins.

You won’t get good riders on here telling this stuff even if they represent the brand, but the kooky pimps with business foremost on their mind try and twist things to their advantage$

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:43 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 am
iriejohn wrote:
Kristan wrote:

People can spend $ on anything they like. It’s the marketing, lie pimping that is the problem and agenda to turn kitesurfing into a performance equipment based sport.. which it isn’t.. for higher margins.

You won’t get good riders on here telling this stuff even if they represent the brand, but the kooky pimps with business foremost on their mind try and twist things to their advantage$
And you, the self proclaimed ...
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.
Contact
... are "pimping" yourself - you couldn't make it up! :lol:
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post (total 2):
longwhitecloud (Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:56 am) • Digdawg (Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:32 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:49 am

iriejohn wrote:

Why yes, it does feel nice being practical.

Why does anyone actually NEED a five strut Aluula kite? For which reason? Considering that it's most likely gonna be a Big Air kite it's not gonna be used in marginal conditions. Even if it would, lighter weight doesn't mean more power, just lower threshold when that kite will fall out of the sky. Robustness of material? Considering recent bust of Aluula kite that parameter is questionable. But at least if you bust a dacron kite you can easily fix it, unlike Aluula, when OR decided to replace the busted kite as whole instead, since there are no kite repair shops that can fix those. Lighter weight? Only matters if you're taking it on a trip and don't want to pay for overweight luggage. But how much you gonna pay for extra 2 kg? And how much do you overpay for an Aluula kite? Does it actually worth it in the long run?

The only reason I see in buying this kite is to scream at everyone "I'm a rich bih!", which you can do the same by buying Core kites.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:04 am

Kristan wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:49 am
iriejohn wrote:

Why yes, it does feel nice being practical.

Why does anyone actually NEED a five strut Aluula kite? For which reason? Considering that it's most likely gonna be a Big Air kite it's not gonna be used in marginal conditions. Even if it would, lighter weight doesn't mean more power, just lower threshold when that kite will fall out of the sky. Robustness of material? Considering recent bust of Aluula kite that parameter is questionable. But at least if you bust a dacron kite you can easily fix it, unlike Aluula, when OR decided to replace the busted kite as whole instead, since there are no kite repair shops that can fix those. Lighter weight? Only matters if you're taking it on a trip and don't want to pay for overweight luggage. But how much you gonna pay for extra 2 kg? And how much do you overpay for an Aluula kite? Does it actually worth it in the long run?

The only reason I see in buying this kite is to scream at everyone "I'm a rich bih!", which you can do the same by buying Core kites.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:28 am

Strange way of looking at it.

I can jump with my Zephyr, but would I have more fun with a smaller and faster kite in the same conditions? I definitely would.

As for an 8m Aluula on a TT for big air I'm not sure if there are any real benefits. Time will tell I guess. For bigger sizes I could definitely see a market.

Paleofit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 165
Local Beach: SF Bay Area: Toll plaza
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core xr6, Ocean Rodeo Flite, Shinn Bronq and King Gee

Postby Paleofit » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:38 am

It always has to come down to the money.

In this case, I’m just a dude who likes learning fast and water time because it is fun. When I’m kiting, I like knowing equipment is gonna further me durning my short little ride on the planet. I like the right tool for the job. Even better is a multi tool that does as well or better.

My experience with the aluula flite has been great. It consistently outperforms other kites in a variety of conditions. I get more out of sessions on this kite. I can go out powered/overpowered (a couple sizes bigger than some guys who are heavier), and if wind comes down they are done for the day or swimming or whatever and I just swap to a big TT and keep going with a different kind of session. This is what I’m into now. To be fair, may not be a “good” rider yet :rollgrin:

Where other big 5 strut Dacron kites turn slow, can’t be looped, want to fall in lulls, etc, the aluula one could offer new experiences. I do actually want to use a 5 strut aluula in both overpowered and marginal conditions if possible. I guess we won’t know how it is until it is built or we get some intel on the prototype (hint hint...).

Back to the money. Here’s the math: hey, this kite is 20-33% more to buy, but you’ll fly one of these in the space of 2-3 other kites in your quiver, AND YOU’LL LIKE IT.

Oh and don’t worry OR, 1 of those 3 is a foil kite I will never get if we get this aluula thing right
These users thanked the author Paleofit for the post:
Digdawg (Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:37 am)

Return to “Kitesurfing”