Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Forum for kitesurfers
Pana
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 200 lbs
Local Beach: Lake Champlain, Baie des Brises
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paracuru, Santa Veronica
Style: Smooth, old school, wave carver
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam HL 6-7-8 & 9m. Aluula 10-12 & 14m
Nomad wave TT
Shared gear with adorable wife
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Postby Pana » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:15 am

Here is my 2 cents on the range…:

had a 14.5 flite, tried a 14 m roam and prefered that. The flite is gruntier but also is more incomfortable in the top end. The flite shin4s in the lowervrange. The roam is better balanced over all. Top end will be very dependant of your weight for the flite as the power keeps on increasing with wind speed, the roam just ‘appears’ to go faster. You can hold the flite in highervwinds if you can manage the power, you do not get that feeling with the roam

I am 200 pounds the sweet spot range for me on a tt is 11-16 knots for the roam 14m and 13-18 for the roam 12m. Can go 2 more knots with both kites in the top end but prefer to downsize.

My wife at 135 pounds on a tt uses the 14 roam from 8-9 to 14 kts and the 12m 12-16 approx then moves to enduro 10m. We both have light wind boards but not doors.

Paleofit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 165
Local Beach: SF Bay Area: Toll plaza
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core xr6, Ocean Rodeo Flite, Shinn Bronq and King Gee

Re: New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Postby Paleofit » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:07 am

Ha now I’m confused too. I think we are mostly in agreement but using different words?

Isn’t the Roam the gruntier of the two bc it rapidly gets you back up to speed and then levels off in pull (my low aspect roam 10)? Now on my high aspect 14.5 flite, it doesn’t get too much power if you keep board speed down (you keep kite low and/or edge hard upwind) but if your board speed gets high, good luck! Sucker keeps on pulling the faster you go. Can see how that is uncomfortable but there are benefits to the high aspect like hangtime.

I have had that flite out with gusts in high 20s and was gliding to timbucktu. The aluula itself is rock solid so I don’t worry about that. Do wonder what I’m doing to the teijin d2.

Who’s ready for the big rise announcement?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:24 am

Have they announced a date?

Paleofit
Rare Poster

Postby Paleofit » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:16 pm

No. Geil said sometime in September. Maybe they are going to see how he fairs in Tatajuba and then how to hype it? Im close to calling corporate about sizes though…. Want to plan for my quiver!

Paleofit
Rare Poster

Postby Paleofit » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:43 pm

Actually, Tatajuba comp is live streaming here and pros go on tomorrow:

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:34 pm

McLovin wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:50 am
Gestalt wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:09 pm
knotwindy wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:51 pm
How many of these folks offering their opinion about the top end have actually tried the kites?
WAG don’t count for much. :jump:
I personally have the 8m,10m Aluula Roam, and the 17m Aluula F-lite. I have personally also flown the 12m and 14.5m Aluula Flite's several times each.

The 17m A-Flite starts becoming unmanageable past 15 knots, where a 17m Juice can go to 20 knots.

The 12m Aluula Flite as per experience and the website starts getting overpowered at about 17-18 knots. For a 12m that's crazy.

My Core xr6 12m can do rated 24 knots easy, and I can hold it down to 26 knots.

The 8m A-Roam, which has amazing power dump capability, flies solid all the way to 28knots. It's quite fun in the 25-28 knot range, but I wouldn't jump with it. I also would not dare take it past 28 knots. Where a Neo 8-m will go up to 32 knots in comparison.

These kites are very stable right up until you hit their threshold, but that threshold is comparatively low at the top end. At the low end it's a different story.
So my experience having over 35 sessions on my 14.5m Aluula Flite is that too many people are spending lots of time talking about the LOW END - gotta love the videos of guys reverse "snow kite style" launching in NO WIND...YES it's my biggest kite and YES I do fly it in lighter winds which for me is like 13-14 knots but it's WAY more fun in it's sweet spot of 17-19 knots - but there is 100% a performance advantage of the rigid ALUULA frame / struts vs. dacron kite and YES I used to have the same flite in a 14.5m in dacron so I can tell -

THE TOP END on the ALUULA is much higher than the Dacron. Does that mean you should get a 7m kite for Rooster - NO - It just means if you can pick up a 14.5m Aluula it will be the best 14.5m kite you have ever flown hands down. I few times I over-rigged by mistake and ended up flying my 14.5 in up to about 23-24 knots maybe a bit more even, as they say I was LIT AF - probably borderline dangerous for all you little guys but at 275lbs dry out of the shower and with some edging skills it did work - full disclosure that day I did go in for my 11m XR6 which was much more appropriate, but the big kite has a LOT OF TOP END if you want it - had the biggest boost with a hella drift on the way in...

Just my .02 of direct experience - a BIG Aluula kite from Ocean Rodeo or the new Juice if you prefer Duotone is a fantastic toy - do you need it? Depends... matched with the right board it can be a dream - I do find the bar / line recco from OR to be suspect, after getting some great help from another experienced kiter switched to the SS 23 inch bar with the 27m lines and the kite opened up and now flies like a dream - best for 16-20 knots IMHO...

Mc

:dance:
I’m in agreement with McLovin. The low end of these kites IS really an improvement over the Dacron versions. And I also have NOT found them to be any less manageable in higher winds than the Dacron versions. I really enjoy riding the 17 Flite A in 16 knots. Lots of nice jumps with great hangtime. Higher than that, I prefer the 12 and will ride that up to about 26 knots. While I’m also not like you little guys (at 225 lbs, I’m glad McLovin can make me feel like a little guy :lol: ), I’m also saying that I haven’t found their upper range to be significantly different than their Dacron counterparts. What I HAVE noticed is that in strong, gusty wind, they don’t seem to do all the jellyfishing that Dacron kites do. They’re just rock solid and seem to just completely absorb them. My first time observing this was at AWSI in Hood River 2 years ago when they first introduced the Aluula line. I flew both a 14.5 Flite A and a prototype Prodigy 9.5A (that is NOT going to be produced as it turns out). The real test of it was when the wind cranked up to about 30 knots and was super gusty b/c of the wind direction. I was blown away b/c of how steady it was in all that crappy wind. The Dacron kites were all doing the little bits of jellyfishing and surging forward like you’d normally see. That Prodigy just kept eating the gusts and flew on. That was amazing to me.

As far as the responsiveness goes, yes, they are fast. When you turn them, they go NOW. That’s especially nice on the larger ones and why I think they’ve maybe expanded the low end a bit. You can just work the kite a lot easier than normal. Which is different than saying they have more low end grunt, which I don’t think is the case. Teaching students, mostly lighter than I am, I will often be on a kite smaller than I would normally choose for myself. I have been pleasantly surprised at how often I can still ride fine, even though I’m downsized. I don’t tend to do many big air kite loops, but backroll kite loops are a lot of fun b/c of how well the kite will come around! I’ll leave it to others to figure out if it’s TOO fast for mega loops and such. ;)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:41 pm

pls ride it in 20 knots and show us a video of you jumping. interesting how it performs. Any settings to make the kite slower?

Flyingseb
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: La Torche, France
Style: Jumps, curves, speed
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic2 15/11m, North Dyno 17m, Duotone Rebel 15/12/10m, OR Mako board, Homemade TT and Tiki

Postby Flyingseb » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:07 pm

Toby wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:41 pm
pls ride it in 20 knots and show us a video of you jumping. interesting how it performs. Any settings to make the kite slower?
À smaller bar?

Please, don’t tell us the 17 seems to be too reactive :lol:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:31 pm

Flyingseb wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:07 pm
Toby wrote:
À smaller bar?

Please, don’t tell us the 17 seems to be too reactive :lol:
well...you go out and have someone film you...then do a double rotation with some boardoff stuff...and then I want to see the landing.

My 18...much slower than the 17 I assume, flying inner settings of the bar, on kite set to slow, and still crash many times because the kite goes forward too fast...

I have a wakestyle bar, but it is so small, it's not comfortable....I use with a 14...which I just tested today ;-)

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:49 pm

Toby wrote:
1+ year ago already:

Return to “Kitesurfing”