Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Forum for kitesurfers
leeuwen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m
KauperXT Maverick 6M
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10 /12
Moses Onda / Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Postby leeuwen » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:43 am

Havre wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:28 am
As for an 8m Aluula on a TT for big air I'm not sure if there are any real benefits. Time will tell I guess. For bigger sizes I could definitely see a market.
Depends a bit on it’s properties.
Eg I could see a market for an 8m that works well on a hydrofoil and is also a good big air kite.
If your goal is to go fast, non competitive, on a foil it could be a pretty good fit.
For freeride foil maybe not an extreme high aspect that needs 5 struts but something similar to a Naish pivot.

An 8m or 9m probably best size for that combination and you could maybe buy one kite instead of 2 which negates the extra costs of aluula.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: New 5 Strut Aluula: should Ocean Rodeo make a big air kite for boosting, old-school, airstyle?

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:16 pm

Paleofit wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:38 am
It always has to come down to the money.

In this case, I’m just a dude who likes learning fast and water time because it is fun. When I’m kiting, I like knowing equipment is gonna further me durning my short little ride on the planet. I like the right tool for the job. Even better is a multi tool that does as well or better.

My experience with the aluula flite has been great. It consistently outperforms other kites in a variety of conditions. I get more out of sessions on this kite. I can go out powered/overpowered (a couple sizes bigger than some guys who are heavier), and if wind comes down they are done for the day or swimming or whatever and I just swap to a big TT and keep going with a different kind of session. This is what I’m into now. To be fair, may not be a “good” rider yet :rollgrin:

Where other big 5 strut Dacron kites turn slow, can’t be looped, want to fall in lulls, etc, the aluula one could offer new experiences. I do actually want to use a 5 strut aluula in both overpowered and marginal conditions if possible. I guess we won’t know how it is until it is built or we get some intel on the prototype (hint hint...).

Back to the money. Here’s the math: hey, this kite is 20-33% more to buy, but you’ll fly one of these in the space of 2-3 other kites in your quiver, AND YOU’LL LIKE IT.

Oh and don’t worry OR, 1 of those 3 is a foil kite I will never get if we get this aluula thing right
When you get your 3rd allula kite, it will equal the number of posts you ever made here.

I’m awarding a fluid dynamics Masters for this post.

Probably the funniest one yet.

Paleofit
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 165
Local Beach: SF Bay Area: Toll plaza
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core xr6, Ocean Rodeo Flite, Shinn Bronq and King Gee

Postby Paleofit » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:50 pm

Thanks! Coming from the oracle of windsport it means a lot.

Maybe one day, if I’m lucky, I’ll get the job. Here let me try: in my crystal ball I see...light tube kites in large sizes gain wide appeal!

Digdawg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Snowkite:
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Favorite Beaches: Key West
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
- Aluula Flite 17m
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Crave 12m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:55 am

When you get your 3rd allula kite, it will equal the number of posts you ever made here.

I’m awarding a fluid dynamics Masters for this post.

Probably the funniest one yet.
Yeah, because the number of posts you've made is the best measure of your abilities or the validity of your opinion 🙄 Wow...

A lot of negativity in this thread. Folks don't need to be hating on people or brands. I like the innovation. If you don't, fine, fly your 12 year old kite and stop brow beating folks that support it. It's kiting, it's not politics...
These users thanked the author Digdawg for the post (total 6):
Toby (Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:10 am) • iriejohn (Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:05 pm) • GregK (Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:27 pm) • Sun (Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:16 pm) • SENDIT! (Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:11 pm) • Paleofit (Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 am)
Rating: 40%

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2019 Duotone Rebels 9m and 12m
2014 Best Breeze 145, 2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2016 Naish Hero 145
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:09 pm

It would be interesting to see Aluula come to the Big Air market. Currently there are two sub-styles for Big Air and I feel both would benefit.

The Rebel/XR6 competition for Big Air/Old School is frequently used for light wind as well as big air and the weight savings would help alot for their lw purpose. Stiffer frame would help somewhat on landing.

The other category of Big Air/Megalooping would benefit the most. The stiffer Aluula could handle more tension in addition to supporting a bladder with higher PSI. Alot of the kites targeted for this caregory are C or Open C derivatives that do not have the same level of bridle distribution and support as the Old School kites. The stiffer Aluula will allow the same design to go farther based on a stronger LE since less bridle aupport is needed and those design do not get as much out of the bridle as a Rebel/XR6. Typically 3 strut and with less bridle support, a MATERIALS improvement beyond Dacron would help alot in this category where better bridling cannot do anything more. Last year in Cape Town I saw close to a thousand kiters on the water one day in some pretty strong winds (35 kts or so) all working on jumps.

The market is there between both categories. Surprised no one bought the rights to cf to avoid paying the Aluula since it has similar properties.

I do feel that on a relative basis, the percentage improvement will be bigger for the looping kites than the old school kites as the Aluula will help on the low end for the looping kites (a point of weakness for every C and Open C kite) in addition to goving them needed reinforcement on the high end. The stiffer frame will support a more active flying style whereas old school kites are lazy style kites.

The bridled old school kites are mostly fantastic at this point and will improve but not as big an improvement as you will see in Open C/C kites.

As far as skill vs gear, people 15 years ago were not hitting 100 ft jumps. On Maui, there are tons of the original kiters still kiting and they still have their old kit. Same skilled rider on newer gear outperforms old gear. Semipros & instructors on newer gear vs the Legends on their old kit, the newer riders usually win it hands down. Ive seen and participated in this on a very frequent basis as many of the orig famous kiters really loce their old kit and periodically put it up in the air. Always surprised when I can smash one of the Legends but they rarely go higher than 50ft and except for the KOTA guys, they shy away from competition grade megaloops (altho they throw lots of normal loops).
These users thanked the author dracop for the post (total 2):
Gestalt (Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:52 pm) • Paleofit (Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:38 am)
Rating: 13.33%

McLovin
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 275
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster
Style: Mostly TT and some SB not FOILING YET
Gear: 2017 N Rebels, 2021 OR Flite 14.5 ALUULA - North Trust Bars SK99 Lines, CARVE Imperator 5 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like...

Postby McLovin » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 pm

C'mon OR - press the button and the orders will flow...

I'll take a 12m

and for the love of all that is good and holy - make Toby a 20m and go wake up your marketing person. Toby should already have a 20m and full sponsorship you can search the globe 2x and not find a better advertising spend than him spinning around under a new 20m Aluula RISE 5 strut masterpiece...

you're welcome :thumb:

Mc

:dance:
Attachments
2021-04-02_12-55-24.png
These users thanked the author McLovin for the post:
Paleofit (Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:39 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 14.5, 12, 10, Rally 7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 pm

20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20

Whattheflock
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Secret.
Favorite Beaches: Open beaches.
Style: Strapless Foil
Gear: 7m prodigy, 10m flite, Moses DC 3'6" and 633/483/91cm

Postby Whattheflock » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:11 pm

Ill just leave the here again..these kites are light.. http://imgur.com/gallery/XNfsH6k
These users thanked the author Whattheflock for the post:
McLovin (Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:47 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:29 pm

McLovin wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 pm

I'll take a 12m

and for the love of all that is good and holy - make Toby a 20m and go wake up your marketing person. Toby should already have a 20m and full sponsorship you can search the globe 2x and not find a better advertising spend than him spinning around under a new 20m Aluula RISE 5 strut masterpiece...

Mc

Only problem with your 20m / Toby scenero, it would take the spotlight off the owner's son.

Matty V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:41 pm

:lol:
alford wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:29 pm
McLovin wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 pm

I'll take a 12m

Mc

Only problem with your 20m / Toby scenero, it would take the spotlight off the owner's son.
:lol: :lol:
So fucking true!

Return to “Kitesurfing”