Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 165lbs
Local Beach: Cape Hatteras
Gear: 10m Slingshot Rpm 2018
Brand Affiliation: None

Beginner: Kite choice for light wind conditions

Postby whoschrisellington » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 pm

Keep in mind I’m a beginner. I’ve had a few lessons, and on my last lesson I finally got up on the board and went for a short ride. The only kite I have is a 2018 10m Slingshot RPM with a 20” compstick sentinel bar and 20m lines (with 3m extensions).

I’m looking at getting a light wind kite that also may be a little easier for me to ride as I get my kite skills better. Right now I’m looking at a 2019 13m Slingshot Turbine (13m is all i can afford) and a 2020 14m North Orbit kite. I was not happy sitting on the beach while everyone else got their light wind kites out and I couldn’t.

I’m 170 lbs, extremely fit, and kite out in Hatteras NC. What do you all think? I just need some guidance.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 173
Local Beach: Mayo, Rehobeth bay, dewey bch,OBX
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Re: Beginner: Kite choice for light wind conditions

Postby beebad » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:52 pm

Keep what gear you have.
Living in obx, you will use a light wind kite like maybe today or tomorrow, but not sunday. So stick with one brand so the bars can be used.

Think long term.

Once you get riding and staying up wind, light wind days will be an afterthought until you can gain a quiver for obx. Obx is my goto destination and i like waves area, sda and so on. So i ride Cabrinha and started with a 12m, then i got a 9, then a 15contra, then. 7, oh and just recently bought a ridiculously gigantic 17 contra that i bought as a session saver when at times in obx, i see the only people out were on these monsters....i bought new last year, tried to sell it, still wrapped in plastic never used. The 15 is big, the 17 is riducoulie.

So your question is a 13 or 14.. stick with one brand and look at building a quiver it is ok to buy good used equipment. Check some the shops there. I would say not real but perhaps nick at KHK,
or the newish shop in northern Avon. Also for lessons, see Barton at island surf and sail behind the dairy queen in waves for the best prices for lessons in the area. hatterasislandsurfshop.com. He has been there longer than sand.

Since you have a 10 the next size could be a big jump to the 13.

10 and 13 slingshots would be a start. You can always sell off to buy new to you stuff.

But if you are not in the water today or tomorrow, you def aint gonna be out on sunday with that 10. And if you arent kiting in cold water conditions right now, you have plenty of time to shop around for good used gear....try greenhatkiteboarding, http://gulfportboardsports.com/ for good used gear.

Best advice, work on water launches, recovery, rescues, drift launches, body dragging and consistent tacks staying upwind.

Lastly, an ap i have been using is igetwind and windy for board sports. There you can enter your extremely fit 170lbs of kiting meanness into the profile and it will suggest kitesize......i feel a flamming of my ass coming on, KITE SIZE SUGGESTION, one can of course override.

Anyway, this was probably more guidance than you wanted but i am sure you appreciate any responses from the kite community, i was just watching the paint dry and counting my socks again. Cheers
These users thanked the author beebad for the post:
whoschrisellington (Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:17 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:06 pm

1 strut kites are by far the best kites for beginners and light wind.

Try and find a 14m Naish Boxer for example.

beebad
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: North flats, outlaws-South Padre Island, Waves, Salvo, kitepoint, the washout, tower rd. Assateaque.
Gear: 7m, 9m, 12m Cabrinha Switchblades, 15 Contra, Cabrinha 144 Spectrum, 137 ACE, Litewave Dave WING 155, Ugo, GP6B, slingshot hoverglide nf2 foil-35",15"24" masts, slingshot dwarfcraft 54" foilboard. Slingwing 5.4V2., quatro drifter 5’6”.

Postby beebad » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:24 am

Slappysan wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:06 pm
1 strut kites are by far the best kites for beginners and light wind.

Try and find a 14m Naish Boxer for example.
That may be true...but. Where we live....the wind goes nuclear and he will still use his 10. Second thought a 14 if it is a sling shot will be good on lighter days with a gap he can fill with a 12 some day...perfect.

whoschrisellington
Rare Poster

Postby whoschrisellington » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:26 am

beebad wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:52 pm
Keep what gear you have.
Living in obx, you will use a light wind kite like maybe today or tomorrow, but not sunday. So stick with one brand so the bars can be used.

Think long term.

Once you get riding and staying up wind, light wind days will be an afterthought until you can gain a quiver for obx. Obx is my goto destination and i like waves area, sda and so on. So i ride Cabrinha and started with a 12m, then i got a 9, then a 15contra, then. 7, oh and just recently bought a ridiculously gigantic 17 contra that i bought as a session saver when at times in obx, i see the only people out were on these monsters....i bought new last year, tried to sell it, still wrapped in plastic never used. The 15 is big, the 17 is riducoulie.

So your question is a 13 or 14.. stick with one brand and look at building a quiver it is ok to buy good used equipment. Check some the shops there. I would say not real but perhaps nick at KHK,
or the newish shop in northern Avon. Also for lessons, see Barton at island surf and sail behind the dairy queen in waves for the best prices for lessons in the area. hatterasislandsurfshop.com. He has been there longer than sand.

Since you have a 10 the next size could be a big jump to the 13.

10 and 13 slingshots would be a start. You can always sell off to buy new to you stuff.

But if you are not in the water today or tomorrow, you def aint gonna be out on sunday with that 10. And if you arent kiting in cold water conditions right now, you have plenty of time to shop around for good used gear....try greenhatkiteboarding, http://gulfportboardsports.com/ for good used gear.

Best advice, work on water launches, recovery, rescues, drift launches, body dragging and consistent tacks staying upwind.

Lastly, an ap i have been using is igetwind and windy for board sports. There you can enter your extremely fit 170lbs of kiting meanness into the profile and it will suggest kitesize......i feel a flamming of my ass coming on, KITE SIZE SUGGESTION, one can of course override.

Anyway, this was probably more guidance than you wanted but i am sure you appreciate any responses from the kite community, i was just watching the paint dry and counting my socks again. Cheers
Wow. That was INCREDIBLY helpful. I can’t thank you enough.
So I’m going to stick with my 10m SS RPM and add the 13m SS turbine to my collection. I really feel like I should get the 13m turbine over like a 7m rally or something just based on my experience out here. I mean if I’m Jumping in increments of
3m, next I’d either get a 7m or a 13m. I just really feel like the 13 will do me better because the 10m rpm has a pretty high wind speed range. What do you think? There are lots of HIGH wind speed days but honestly the turbine sounds like it’s slow and easier to control for a beginner

Also...the kite community has been so good to me in the OBX. Man I’ve been frustrated as hell trying to learn this sport but these guys have been so nice and patient and spent extra time in lessons and abandoned their sessions to help me with mine. I’m super grateful

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:28 am

I have used my 7m only on but the windiest of days over 22-25 range....my 9m switchblade is my favorite kite.

The frustration part of the learning curve is part of it.

Suddenly one day your water starts will just click, you will dive the kite slightly, just enough for you to roll upright 45 degrees or so downwind to the kite and you are off edging against the pull of the kite. That wasn't so hard.

Then one day you will balance lower speed and kite position with the right amount of edging to tack more and more up wind. What took so long huh? Lol....yeah right........

It takes everyone a while to put it all together unless you are 17. You are not 17 are you?
Last edited by beebad on Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whoschrisellington
Rare Poster

Postby whoschrisellington » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:49 pm

beebad wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:28 am
I have used my 7m only on but the windiest of days over 22-25 range....my 9m switchblade is my favorite kite.

The frustration part of the learning curve is part of it.

Suddenly one day your water starts will just click, you will dive the kite slightly, just enough for you to roll upright 45 degrees or so downwind to the kite and you are off edging against the pull of the kite. That wasn't so hard.

Then one day you will balance lower speed and kite position with amount of edging to tack more and more up wind. What took so long huh? Lol....yeah right........

It takes everyone a while to put it all together unless you are 17. You are not 17 are you?
Haha no, I’m 26. And that sounds very promising. I mean I’m just going to keep at it. Thank you
These users thanked the author whoschrisellington for the post:
beebad (Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:06 pm)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:32 pm

whoschrisellington wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 pm
Keep in mind I’m a beginner. I’ve had a few lessons, and on my last lesson I finally got up on the board and went for a short ride. The only kite I have is a 2018 10m Slingshot RPM with a 20” compstick sentinel bar and 20m lines (with 3m extensions).

I’m looking at getting a light wind kite that also may be a little easier for me to ride as I get my kite skills better. Right now I’m looking at a 2019 13m Slingshot Turbine (13m is all i can afford) and a 2020 14m North Orbit kite. I was not happy sitting on the beach while everyone else got their light wind kites out and I couldn’t.

I’m 170 lbs, extremely fit, and kite out in Hatteras NC. What do you all think? I just need some guidance.
As much as I loved my 15m Turbine and as much 13m size would be very appropriate for your weight, I’d recommend following:

- the cheapest option and a must: line extensions. You will find that 12m on 30-37m lines is so much more than a 12m. Capturing wind gradient, flying above houses wind shadows and having first dive long/powerful enough to get up and get going.
- a door board. Start with a larger board for LW, not with a bigger kite. Look specifically for door board - anything 159x45, better 50cm wide, the bigger - the better. You’ll ride the door board amongst the last of foilers on water. On so many occasions I did with 15m Turbine, 170x50 door and 37m lines
- I’d say try to get a 13m Contra or 14.5 Flite. I have almost new 13m Turbine for sale, yet it’s not the lightest kite...though it will work well for you too.
- don’t get a foil kite. In OBX launches are not foil kite friendly.

Going to OBX in 3 weeks I’m so excited. Will see you on water!
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
beebad (Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:07 pm)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm

beebad wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:24 am
That may be true...but. Where we live....the wind goes nuclear and he will still use his 10.
I'm not sure I follow what you are saying, are you suggesting that a 14m 1-strut kite isn't safe because the wind might pick up? There's nothing unsafe about holding down 1-strut kites in overpowered situations, I would say they are even safer because of all the fluttering they do. Sure the flutter can be a bit unsettling but they still fly fine and that fluttering will keep them more well behaved in gusts and lulls.

I ride a 4.5m 1-strut kite in 40 knots and I'm only slightly lighter than the OP. Just last night I was out on my 6.5m 1-strut kite in 30g40, behaved like a champ.

beebad
Frequent Poster

Postby beebad » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:48 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:52 pm
beebad wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:24 am
That may be true...but. Where we live....the wind goes nuclear and he will still use his 10.
I'm not sure I follow what you are saying, are you suggesting that a 14m 1-strut kite isn't safe because the wind might pick up? There's nothing unsafe about holding down 1-strut kites in overpowered situations, I would say they are even safer because of all the fluttering they do. Sure the flutter can be a bit unsettling but they still fly fine and that fluttering will keep them more well behaved in gusts and lulls.

I ride a 4.5m 1-strut kite in 40 knots and I'm only slightly lighter than the OP. Just last night I was out on my 6.5m 1-strut kite in 30g40, behaved like a champ.
OP's first sentence!

Return to “Kitesurfing”