Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Death Loop - Risk Highly Reduced W/ New Bar Designs

Postby Slappysan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:28 pm

happytrees wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:41 pm
Where's Slappysan? :D
Didn't have much to add, as my deathloop was the result of neither of the two causes the OP listed. I personally feel like the one I had is the most common though as I've had it a few times (but on all other occasions been able to shake it free before it turned nasty).

I do feel that non-flimsy bar ends help prevent this kind of death loop though, but you will note that in my example it still happened with non-flimsy ends.

I will also add that while some people feel systems where you have to QR to get in/out are safer because it gets you in the habit of using your QR I would not feel safe if my QR was the only way to disconnect from the kite. While we rely on them to work, they are not 100% and not having a backup option just seems too risky to me.

I would also like to point out that people shouldn't have 100% faith in Anton's videos for dealing with steering line wrap deathloops. Because they happen while the bar is sheeted out they will not provide enough rear line tension to backstall the kite, especially in powered conditions.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
happytrees (Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 am)
Rating: 6.67%

HurlyBurly
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride TT, Foiling, Strapless
Gear: Shinn Bronq, Shinn Monk, LF Galaxy with SS Space Skate foil, North Whip, Naish Pivots, Naish Boxer, OR Flite
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Death Loop - Risk Highly Reduced W/ New Bar Designs

Postby HurlyBurly » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:48 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:30 am
i tested this for years - in middle of teaching kiting - i just go "activate the quick release you are about to get dragged head first into a rock wall!"

For some - no problem - others I just get a blank stare. I already showed them how to use the QR. Many explain they were scared to release the kite. Needs to be trained into most people.

People are so scared of being unhooked too - by accident or deliberately... it the opposite of what it should be - unhooked you can just let go whatever the mayhem/ 45knots gust / deathloop in the making
This brings to mind what seems to be a big failure in the world of teaching the sport. A former girlfriend of mine took around 15-20 kite lessons on trips while we were together for 4 years. Yup, she's a bit of a slow learner, but she loves to kite more than anybody I know (like a kid at Christmas). Granted it also took her some extra time because we have to travel to kite, so at best, 2-3 trips a year. Each trip would get her about 5-6 lessons. Instructors/schools were IKO. On only one occasion did an instructor demonstrate how to do a self rescue, and then have her do it in shallow water; once! I believe every instructor, upon meeting her and asking her about her skill level, should have spent time on it and also aimed to have her do a self rescue (in calm wind/water) in deep water with instructor alongside on jet ski. Similarly, all instructors took care of the launching and landing of the kite 95% of the time. Again, I feel a chunk of time should have been spent doing repeated launches and landings, and reviewing techniques, hazard awareness, etc. I understand that students want the excitement of getting on the water, and that's what will hopefully keep them in the sport. But one mishap can turn them away from the sport in a split second.

Return to “Kitesurfing”