Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Jumping in Shallows

Postby elguapo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:04 pm

TimG wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:28 pm
I have seen this discussed before, but not as a particular subject.

In your opinion, what is a "safe" depth of water to kite in?

Where I kite, I have a choice between three spots. The first has a clean launch with very deep water and bad chop. The second (for northerlies) a sketchy launch (tall lights all around and crossing a road to get there with kite launched) that has a jump from flat water into deep water but has a ship channel with oil tankers going by downwind (sketchy since tankers can't stop). I only ride at the second spot if there is jet ski support. The third spot is a flat water bay with 2 foot depth. I prefer the third spot with flat water shallows, and my highest jumps are recorded there. It is perfect for trying new tricks. However, I have heard on this forum that high jumps in 2 feet (61 cm) of water have a high risk of a body or head injury for bad crashes due to equipment failures.

I don't have the perfect spot and have to choose between the three. I really like the shallow flat water of the third spot, but I am worried about jumping 10+ meters and having an equipment failure that could cause me to break something or get a severe head injury. The second spot has a very sketchy launch and has tankers downwind. The first spot is the safest but extremely choppy.
the texas city/houston area is is one of the top 2-3 kiteboarding locations in the USA...
and i'd consider the levee and the small beach the racers races use as "perfect" as they come for boosting..

just go to the levee... the bottom is soft and pretty sure it waist deep until 300m out or so (then gets deep)
not sure if you were referencing the dike with the deep water location.. but the shipping channel would only be a concern if you are kiting in offshore conditions and you choose to launch at very end of dike (which there is no reason.. just launch where everyone else does)

if worried about injury... just wear a helmet and stay in the deep water.
the water isnt pretty there.. but you are already blessed to be local to there
enjoy it.
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:
jumptheshark (Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:24 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:42 pm
There is no problem with jumping when on land, right?

So nothing to worry about!

viewtopic.php?f=200&t=2402190&p=1045330#p1045330
Nice vid! Please note the ocean upwind which provides clean consistent wind for this video. Try that stuff a bit more inland..... and you too can have some new internal bone piercings to show off to your friends who have x-ray vision.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:35 pm

^
Did u open the link below? Did you see what Toby wrote? So why dont you reply in the same tone to him then?

Just because you have no balls to do this does not mean others do not do it.

Here is my crew, no ocean upwind

viewtopic.php?f=200&t=2402191&p=1045334#p1045334

Now you show us your crew.

And thanks, I did have a lot of metal. Still can jump way higher in shallows that most ever will.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:44 pm

downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:35 pm
^
Did u open the link below? Did you see what Toby wrote? So why dont you reply in the same tone to him then?

And thanks, I did have a lot of metal. Still can jump way higher in shallows that most ever will.
So, are you saying that what I suggested is correct?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:08 pm

Yes, since it is all you care about, you are, of course, always correct. We are humbled before your omniscience.
(Sarcasm) (LoL)
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
jumptheshark (Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:30 pm)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:39 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:24 pm
downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:42 pm
There is no problem with jumping when on land, right?

So nothing to worry about!

viewtopic.php?f=200&t=2402190&p=1045330#p1045330
Nice vid! Please note the ocean upwind which provides clean consistent wind for this video. Try that stuff a bit more inland..... and you too can have some new internal bone piercings to show off to your friends who have x-ray vision.
Cleeve Hill in the UK is pretty far inland (maybe 60 miles to the nearest beach) but has a fairly healthy kite flying crew. Berlin is hundreds of miles from the sea but Templehof airport is a known spot for kiting (I seem to remember someone doing a 17 second hangtime jump there a few years back). Clean wind is available inland.

Gusty wind is bad regardless of being on land or in the sea. Its just the perceived danger over water is seen as lower. Not sure how we got here from which spot in Texas is the best to kite at though?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:01 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:44 pm
downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:35 pm
^

So, are you saying that what I suggested is correct?
No,

What I say, and many agree, is to pis.s off from quoting people all the time. You are f.cken scaring ppl off this forum and particularly picking on some. Like myself. Is that clear enough?

Or, maybe I will share your full body armour you posted yourself a few years ago as a way u kite on your local? U must be really proud of thar level of kiting. But hey, I have a calcium deficiency, and brake bones all the time. So you are right. I.b.r.a.k.e.m.e.b.o.n.e.s. yet, not using ANY body armor.

Still waiiting to show us your skill or your crew u kiting with? No crew? Poor you. So u come here to pis.s on everyone and everything.

Tired of your sharade mate. I've had enough.

It is you or me. Or all other ppl u scared off from this forum. Toby must really love u for that.

Decide. Or stop being a prick. Clear as mud?

PS
Appologies to a forum community in this troubled time. Instead of cheering up, this guy is making everyones life even harder. This needs to stop. Cheer up and watch the vids, music is great, riders are fantastic.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
or6 (Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:29 pm)

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:35 am

downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:01 pm
What I say, and many agree, is to pis.s off from quoting people all the time. You are f.cken scaring ppl off this forum and particularly picking on some. Like myself. Is that clear enough?
You don't seem scared?

downunder wrote:
Or, maybe I will share your full body armour you posted yourself a few years ago as a way u kite on your local? U must be really proud of thar level of kiting. But hey, I have a calcium deficiency, and brake bones all the time. So you are right. I.b.r.a.k.e.m.e.b.o.n.e.s. yet, not using ANY body armor.
Helmet, is the only body armor I wear, and I highly reccomend them - especially if you have a calcium deficiency.

downunder wrote:
Still waiiting to show us your skill or your crew u kiting with? No crew? Poor you. So u come here to pis.s on everyone and everything.
I can count on one hand the people on this earth who I would not piss on if they were on fire. You, however, I would gladly do so, even on the occasion when you perform self immolation here. You are a valued contributor who's voice leaves no question as to your position on a kiting topic. For that, I commend you.

downunder wrote:
Tired of your sharade mate. I've had enough.
I can GUARENTEE YOU, you have not had enough. You will be back for much, much more!

downunder wrote:
It is you or me. Or all other ppl u scared off from this forum. Toby must really love u for that.

Decide. Or stop being a prick. Clear as mud?
I am also sure that you have within you, the ability to control your anger and hatred for those you disagree with. If it is beyond your control, I wish you the best and truly feel sorry for you.

downunder wrote:
PS
Appologies to a forum community in this troubled time. Instead of cheering up, this guy is making everyones life even harder. This needs to stop. Cheer up and watch the vids, music is great, riders are fantastic.
No appologies necessary! This forum is an excellent outlet and knowledge base where we value all points of view in these troubled times. Let it out, and show others the way to self expression.

Return to “Kitesurfing”