Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 170
Local Beach: Houston
Style: Big Air
Gear: Rebel, monarch
Brand Affiliation: None

Jumping in Shallows

Postby TimG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:28 pm

I have seen this discussed before, but not as a particular subject.

In your opinion, what is a "safe" depth of water to kite in?

Where I kite, I have a choice between three spots. The first has a clean launch with very deep water and bad chop. The second (for northerlies) a sketchy launch (tall lights all around and crossing a road to get there with kite launched) that has a jump from flat water into deep water but has a ship channel with oil tankers going by downwind (sketchy since tankers can't stop). I only ride at the second spot if there is jet ski support. The third spot is a flat water bay with 2 foot depth. I prefer the third spot with flat water shallows, and my highest jumps are recorded there. It is perfect for trying new tricks. However, I have heard on this forum that high jumps in 2 feet (61 cm) of water have a high risk of a body or head injury for bad crashes due to equipment failures.

I don't have the perfect spot and have to choose between the three. I really like the shallow flat water of the third spot, but I am worried about jumping 10+ meters and having an equipment failure that could cause me to break something or get a severe head injury. The second spot has a very sketchy launch and has tankers downwind. The first spot is the safest but extremely choppy.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Jumping in Shallows

Postby edt » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:35 pm

The only way to know for sure it's to balance the risks. Most fatal accidents happen during launch or landing but the only one who can properly assess the risks is you. Is it two feet of water but then soft mud? Or two feet of water and then hard rock?
Only by being on site is it possible to evaluate the risks and I think you are the only one who can do that. The launch is the most dangerous part of kiting not the jumping. But it's impossible for us to assess the risks of those launches.
Last edited by edt on Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:39 pm

I think you know the answer from a safety point of view.
60 cm is not enough to save you from a 10m fall if there is zero support from the kite.
Eg hook from harness fails, accidental safety release etc.
How likely is such a major fail? Don’t know but significantly bigger chance then winning the lottery.

I personally would skip the shallow spot on boosting days.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:40 pm

Interesting topic. I don't know how "safe" I would consider it.

Thankfully I have never had equipment failure, but I have absolutely smashed into the water a couple of times. I couldn't say if I would have hit the bottom at 2 feet though.

Losing your board mid air and not being able to land "safely" on your but/back to avoid sinking fast I could see it being a potential risk.

As for equipment failure you will definitely hit ground as others have mentioned - dropping from anything close to 10m straight down. And you might hit it hard.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:46 pm

If you are concerned about it, say 6 ft. or more. If not, write us if you cause a nasty leg fracture in shallower water. Fatal intentional jump landings are rare, leg fractures, messed up ankles and knees have been far more common. If in doubt, go deeper.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:51 pm

From your op you already know it’s not safe or you wouldn’t have asked the way you did. How safe/unsafe is completely dependent upon you deciding if the fun is worth the obvious danger/payment charged for failure. Do you have other things to live for? Some here are willing to risk far more because they don’t have a partner & children to worry about. Or they prefer to be able to do other activities rather than doing rehab for months at a time over & over. If you’re willing to pay the price, go for it. If the price seems too high, there’s your answer. Either way enjoy what you choose! :bye:
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
rw30 (Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:05 pm

Take up kitefoil or wingfoil, and you have the very best and safest spot in the first one :thumb:

8) Peter

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 pm

I was thinking the same thing:
If you don’t like chop pickup a foil.

However, I did not suggest it because:
* some people don’t want to hear about it / hate it because reasons
* if jumping high is the aim: not sure if boosting 10m with a foil is any safer then boosting in shallows :D

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:40 pm

For me the safest water depth is at least chest deep. Enough to stop majority of the falls, unless you go straight in feet first, which is wrong thing to do. On the same time shallow enough for you to stand up if needed. Especially after a harsh fall when you need to catch a breath.

From the three options, I'd rather choose the first one. Choppy water is manageable, even though unpleasant. Third option is sketchy, would totally prefer not to jump high, probably something unhooked.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:27 pm

If you snowkite then it is like being in really shallow water but I still boost when conditions are good. Same in shallow water you need good smooth wind and then the risks are not too bad for a simple boost IMO. As has been said it is landing and launching that is the biggest risk for most. But be very carefull ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”