jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Jumping in Shallows

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:43 pm

Well, I've boosted pretty big over ice with maybe a half foot of snow, have snapped a favorite board landing in 6 inches of water in Hatteras on the first day, and hucked way too big in the shallows at the beach and survived to tell stories. Have also had a harness hook weld snap mid air, and a depower rope or two snap over the years, so I no longer bust very big, and keep it reasonable on snow and over shallows. But I'm old now so there is that too!

Plenty of people have broken parts just landing on water. Kiting has loads of risk. Try to keep it calculated and stop short of getting reckless, but you know, sometimes a little calculated recklessness is called for. Make sure your kit is in good shape and pick your moments.

You know the answer to your question, but if you need someone to tell it to you.

Don't jump high over hard stuff.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:53 pm

The shark isn't old yet. I started kiting at his age ;)
These users thanked the author thewindego for the post:
jumptheshark (Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:58 am)
Rating: 6.67%

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:46 am

No you are wrong Tim there are a ton of other places you can go. Your just following the crowd and that crowd has grown from following myself and the guys at the shop. Galveston bay is huge and there are other spots you can go. The best place for you is going to be the dike about 4 miles down on the beach side. It is choppy but plenty deep. Wind will be onshore so it will be easy to get back on land. Stay away from getting to the end of the dike the current gets very strong the closer you get to the end of it. All so learn to read the tides for the bay. That has a huge impact on how much water will be under you. I've kited the Levee where you had to walk out a hundred yards to enough water to just ride out where it is deep enough to jump. Other times I have not gone there just because the water was going over the rocks at the entrance and you can not see where to step.

When you get more comfortable then come on back to leeward side of the dike.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:03 am

Its all calculated risk. Just varying levels.

I'll jump in the shallows, tack out way too far on the hydrofoil, dice it up with monster washing machine surf and do some storm kiting in batshit crazy conditions. Then ill also jump on the land on my landboard,,,,, and then i'll be blazzing 30mph on my mountain bike 1" from trees and jump victory or death (not actual death hopefully) gaps. All in a manner that hopefully isnt going to result in injury.

But if you play with the bull sometimes you get the horns..... this is the nature of adrenaline sports..;....

SMJ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic

Postby SMJ » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:55 am

If you're going to boost in the shallows...and it seems we all do from time to time, here's a good video on how to crash:

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:11 am

leeuwen wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:29 pm

* if jumping high is the aim: not sure if boosting 10m with a foil is any safer then boosting in shallows :D
I personally think that it is safer with a foil.
I had pretty hard falls after a line snap or opened CL.. Somehow always had time to kick off the foil far enough not to land on it..
Most stabbing and ankle pain actually occurs on low trick jumps, rolls and transitions, not big air stuff...
Same scenario while boosting 10-13m over shallows concerns me way more...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:42 am

I think jumping high in shallow water is a significant risk. I have done it in the past in Hatteras. It's easy to forget you're in water that is only a foot or two deep. I have also snapped lines on a few occasions - fortunately never at the apex of a jump over shallow water. I also spent a number of years jumping with skis on a snow covered frozen lake - big air possible even in quite light winds, because of the extreme amount of edging possible. Again, it's easy to forget the consequences of a fall when you're having fun & you feel in control.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
TimG (Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:22 pm)

TimG
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 170
Local Beach: Houston
Style: Big Air
Gear: Rebel, monarch

Postby TimG » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:42 pm

TheJoe wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:46 am
No you are wrong Tim there are a ton of other places you can go. Your just following the crowd and that crowd has grown from following myself and the guys at the shop. Galveston bay is huge and there are other spots you can go. The best place for you is going to be the dike about 4 miles down on the beach side. It is choppy but plenty deep. Wind will be onshore so it will be easy to get back on land. Stay away from getting to the end of the dike the current gets very strong the closer you get to the end of it. All so learn to read the tides for the bay. That has a huge impact on how much water will be under you. I've kited the Levee where you had to walk out a hundred yards to enough water to just ride out where it is deep enough to jump. Other times I have not gone there just because the water was going over the rocks at the entrance and you can not see where to step.

When you get more comfortable then come on back to leeward side of the dike.
I didn’t specify since I didn’t think people would look. But the third spot I was referring to was Oso Bay in Corpus, not the levee. I usually go down there for the weekends and camp if it’s looking good for the weekend. I like riding at the levee for sourthern winds and sometimes northern winds!

Oso is super flat and nice muddy bottom. It’s seriously the perfect spot for strong winds because it is smooth as butter. But as I mentioned, it’s a little too shallow. I have been going down there for a lot of cold fronts this season and have learned to boost there quite well. But as I’ve gotten higher and higher, I’ve started to think that it’s sketchy to boost that high in that shallow of water. That’s why I decided to reach out on the forum; I was curious what the general consensus was on boosting in shallows.

Regarding your comments, I am comfortable riding on the leeward side of the dike, and have done so many times without incident. I remember when I used to choose not to kite there because I was not comfortable at the time when I was first starting to jump. But now (and many sessions later) I am very confident in my abilities and can handle that spot no problem. And because I always evaluate risks, my concerns about the spot are not my own performance but gear failures. That launch there is pretty sketchy, and my fear isn’t me mis-steering the kite but having a line or bar break near those light poles.

Just figured I would clarify since I know a lot of people do ride on the leeward side when they shouldn’t. I was also not trying to put down houston kiting, I was only trying to get a consensus on boosting in shallows. Hope to see you out there Wednesday or Thursday, looks like we’re getting some nice fronts coming through 👍

Kerplow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 67 Kg
Local Beach: EU
Style: Allrounder
Gear: Looking for a new quiver

Postby Kerplow » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:36 am

Almost 2 years ago me and my gf opened and closed our season. Towed our caravan to spot, unpacked brand new toys. Our spot is quite shallow - 100-150 meters from the coast waist deep.
That day we pumped dice, 12m. It was a cold and foggy day. I went first and after 15 min came back, because of freezing hands. Gave her my kite. After like 10 min I saw something happened - kite was in the water and she was screaming. Few guys took her to the coast, another one took the equipement. After 4 hours driving to the hospital and doing MRI's:

3 bones cracked, 3 plates, 12 screws.
Why that happened? She did no warmup and it was cold. She jumped like 2-2,5m high. One foot slipped out of strap so she ditched her board during the jump. Landed with kite above her head, so that was a soft landing. But it was shallow and she touch the ground (soft, muddy surface) with straight legs.

So shit like this can happen without any extremes. Now I joke, that she should be careful getting out from the bed :D Glad that she's back last season. Crushed her woo record (7.8m) and she is landing more and more new tricks hooked and unhooked.
These users thanked the author Kerplow for the post:
Matteo V (Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:18 pm)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:42 pm

There is no problem with jumping when on land, right?

So nothing to worry about!

viewtopic.php?f=200&t=2402190&p=1045330#p1045330

Return to “Kitesurfing”