Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Booties - really?

Forum for kitesurfers
knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Booties - really?

Postby knyfe » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:28 pm

I never thought that this would get to a topic but over the 20 years of kiting - booties are the least durable parts of my equipment. I typically go through more than 1 set a season. I tried all mayor brands by now and some are a little less worse than others. None are good. Mostly I have a hole in the sole. Others fall apart somewhere else. My distance from car to the spot is a 2 -3 min walk. That can’t be it.

The soles they put on are super duper thin. I get the idea of getting a good feel but this is just nuts. As a TT and foils rider I don’t need thaaat much feeling on my toes.

Am I the only one who would like to get more durable boots / goods ? G

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Booties - really?

Postby grigorib » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:50 pm

Opposite here. Hate thick sole, feeling like “having sex while wearing a raincoat” in thick booties, dreading moment when my booties wear out and I won’t know which ones to get as replacement. Only wear mine for warmth and rarely for reef (when in La Ventana)
Last edited by grigorib on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 pm

.. no problems here.. maybe it’s you.. The way you walk?.. :wink:

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 pm

Search something what is made for diving. I'm using these: https://www.sukellustukku.fi/media/cata ... 634-cp.jpg
The soil is so thick and hard it will protect from sea urchin spikes and they are also nice to walk on a rocky beach :)

I don't care about the feeling, twintip pads are so thick anyway.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Bain » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:56 pm

Promotion booties have always served me well.
http://stores.wetsuit.com/low-top-round ... black-t47/

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:10 am

I can't stand boots for kitewave or kitefoiling, even the thin soled ones. I can't stand riding strapless with them. I had the OR Coldfire boots. They were the best. I will be replacing them with some Mystic boots this season. I will hold off as long as I can bare before using boots, so they last years. For protection against zebra mussels I will throw on some Swiss Sox. Luckily, the zebras have appeared to eat themselves out of house and home, so the Sox have lasted too. They stay in the gear bag awaiting the next zebra explosion.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:08 am

Get some slippers for the walk.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:28 am

Faxie wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:08 am
Get some slippers for the walk.
Exactly!! or just were your sneakers to the launch spot and switch to thin booties.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:57 am

Hate wearing boots and only wear them if I need protection from sharp rocks underfoot.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:32 am

zerogee_ca wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:10 am
I can't stand boots for kitewave or kitefoiling, even the thin soled ones. I can't stand riding strapless with them. I had the OR Coldfire boots. They were the best. I will be replacing them with some Mystic boots this season. I will hold off as long as I can bare before using boots, so they last years. For protection against zebra mussels I will throw on some Swiss Sox. Luckily, the zebras have appeared to eat themselves out of house and home, so the Sox have lasted too. They stay in the gear bag awaiting the next zebra explosion.

Precisely, they are an unwanted must for winter conditions, and ruin the feel, so as thin as possible thanks :thumb:

Don't walk on land with good booties (good is IMO max 2 or 3 mm ones) , then you will destroy them fast.

Two options:

Use some clogs when rigging or packing, and only put your booties on when going out.
Can be cold though, and a nuisance in many ways, you might also get sand inside.

So my preferred way, is using oversize Crocs (not clogs), they don't cost much, and you can keep warm and walk on the shore all the time, just leave them where you go out.
If winter most use a low cost thermal full suit on land and in breaks anyways, to stay warm or driving home, so just leave the Crocs under your suit when out, and they don't blow away.

Works great with Crocs for bootie protection :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
BenBen (Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”