Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Booties - really?

Postby Matteo V » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:58 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:45 pm
Agree iriejohn, it is utterly bullocks and only Matteo V's own way and nothing but that.

C'mon see the full picture instead of pushing your own sometimes very odd behavior onto everybody else.

Speak for yourself instead, thanks.

We are all different and has different riding spots and preferences, and many choose different than you.

Got nothing to do with being cool or not, that's for sure :thumb:

8) Peter
I kite a few pristine beaches as well. And most other kiters do go without booties there, though some like me do still use them. Thinking about this, there is a 5th reason to always wear booties:

5. Consistency

If one day I kite at a dirty beach, then the next at a pristine beach, I have to change my straps to account for booties vs bare feet. And as the distance from the bottom of my foot to the planning surface changes, that lever arm becomes a variable from one location to another. Given that small changes in geometry can throw you off even more than large ones, well in regards to performance, eliminating variables increases performance.

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:23 pm

i really hated booties. couldn't feel the board at all (TT and foil). now riding these french ATAN surf boots since last season and they make all the difference in the feeling for me. i use their 6mm for winter but they feel thinner and better than other 3mm i had. their secret is they use latex instead of regular rubber/plastic. also like that they are handmade. they are a small specialized business vs far east mass production of the large surf brands.
These users thanked the author GetHighOrDieTrying for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:18 am)
Rating: 3.03%

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:05 am

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. I will try the flipflop thing to see if it really was the short walk which makes the sole give up quickly. Next time I invest in scuba booties or some of the stiffer ones suggested here.

Still I am surprised that I am kind of the only one going through booties like nothing. Even my running shoes last forever in comparison ... G

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:24 am

knyfe wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:28 pm
from car to the spot is a 2 -3 min walk.
I get oversized cheap dollar store crocs (buy them in fall when stores clear them out) and wear them over my booties (even my 7mm booties I wear all winter) and then only take them off when I'm about to head out. I get about 2 years out of Xcel booties this way.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:17 am) • McLovin (Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:59 am)
Rating: 6.06%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:47 am

GetHighOrDieTrying wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:23 pm
i really hated booties. couldn't feel the board at all (TT and foil). now riding these french ATAN surf boots since last season and they make all the difference in the feeling for me. i use their 6mm for winter but they feel thinner and better than other 3mm i had. their secret is they use latex instead of regular rubber/plastic. also like that they are handmade. they are a small specialized business vs far east mass production of the large surf brands.
3mm Atan Mistral boots are what I wear in spring and autumn, and in winter instead of thicker boots I wear thin neoprene socks inside the 3mm Atans. When warm enough I have bare feet.
These users thanked the author iriejohn for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:17 am)
Rating: 3.03%

McLovin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 124 kg
Local Beach: The Columbia River Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Rufus & Rooster - sandy ones with smooth wind
Style: TT - Newbie Foiler
Gear: Armstrong FOIL - SS Dwarfcraft - North Code Zero 7,8 - CORE Section 4,5 XR 7,9 Ocean Rodeo RISE (A) 9/10/11 Ocean Rodeo Flite 14.5(A), CARVE Imperator 151cm TT and Crazy Fly Raptor 140cm Neon TT - Ocean Rodeo Ignites Drysuit - Mystic Majestic 5/4 4/3 other stuff...
Brand Affiliation: Just stuff I like... THANKS Armie!

Postby McLovin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:01 am

+1 to Slappy's cheap CROC extra big, fits perfect over your booty and makes any walk a breeze...

They really should sell them as a package. Once you CROC it you will NEVER go back...

:thumb:

Mc

:dance:

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:36 pm

I also do the oversize CROCSHOW since autumn. The 5 min stoney walk to the spot & standing on very cold ground is a real game changer with them. :thumb:

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:42 pm

Some of you guys must leave a real pile of stuff at the launch!

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:52 pm

I ride some pretty rough coastline spots with challenging entry and exits.

Am someone who would love to ride barefoot and do at beaches or similar easy spots when the temps allow. Am in Canada, so booties and gloves are a necessity in the early and super late season. I ditch gloves as soon as humanly possible! Have never been a fan of booties for riding strapless. Appreciate the warmth and even the protection over rocks and shells, but there is way too much foot slide within the bootie to ever really feel a decent connection with the board. Currently foil in full on skate shoes designed for water. Adidas Terrex water shoes to be exact. Mated to a near perfectly flat deck with skate style grip, they are basically like having a nice comfy footbed wherever you choose to plant your feet. I find the board feel to be far more direct than the stretchy cushy nature of booties. Also appreciate the ability to wear different weight neo socks and generally no socks at all in summer. As an aside, they are also just way better for walking than booties so the trek from the car to launch is much nicer on the feet.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:38 pm

the topic has been cleaned up, pls stay on topic. Rest will be deleted.

Thanks
Toby
These users thanked the author Toby for the post (total 3):
Peter_Frank (Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:46 pm) • iriejohn (Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:01 pm) • jonysan (Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:42 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Return to “Kitesurfing”