Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help Finding the Holy Grail Light Wind Boards

Postby Tony in FL » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:58 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:10 am
On a twin-tip the fins don't help much.

Since you drive the board off the rail, the fins mostly just add drag.

So, if you want an efficient twin-tip, it should have the smallest possible fins that still give you good control.

Don't get me wrong, the benefit of drag is you get much better control, But if you are looking for the ultimate light wind board in a twin-tip, you have to keep in mind that the fins are mostly just adding drag.
I respectfully disagree with this, at least when it comes to maximizing light wind performance. Note that I do agree fins are not actually needed on a twintip. When wakeboarding behind a boat or at a cable park I perfer to ride finless. And I have ridden finless while kiteboarding. But I do think fins can help with light wind performance.

In order to get upwind you must point the board upwind. While fins add some drag, they can help you maintain an upwind track with less edging allowing you to ride the board flatter and thus exposing more surface area to the water. Without fins you would likely need more edging, thus exposing less surface area to the water. I suspect that the drag from the additional edging required when not using fins is at least equal, if not greater than the drag introduced from using fins.

The design of light wind specific twintip boards typically include large fins and often have an asymmetrical fin setup i.e. putting all 4 fins on the heel side edge. Such a design would seem to maximize the ability to go upwind while minimizing the need to edge.

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Gestalt » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:42 am

Tony in FL wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:58 pm
The design of light wind specific twintip boards typically include large fins and often have an asymmetrical fin setup i.e. putting all 4 fins on the heel side edge. Such a design would seem to maximize the ability to go upwind while minimizing the need to edge.
I don't quite understand the physics of this. When edging the toe side part of the board is often out of the water, so the fins there are not doing much. But when riding the board more flat on the water, all fins would engage, so I don't understand how having all 4 asymmetrically closer to heel side helps upwind?

Great video by Anton here, how he describes most people do not not have the right stance when going light wind. He also makes the point about using fins to go upwind instead of edging which I found helpful. The graphics are great for visualizing!

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed May 05, 2021 12:53 am

It depends how you want to ride. For sure you can drive a twin tip off the fins, but to really experience this takes some practice and probably fins that are over 40mm long.

It is sort-of like engaging the fins on a directional board, but really not the same thing, especially if you have choppy conditions.

My opinion (based entirely on personal preference, I guess), is that with a low-rocker light-wind twin-tip board, I can be much more efficient on a larger board with less fin.

Of course others might have a different experience from mine.

Return to “Kitesurfing”