Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 68kg
Style: Beginner
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help Finding the Holy Grail Light Wind Boards

Postby ConcreteFloater » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:25 am

Thank you all for your interesting and thorough replies. It has given me plenty of food for thought.

I realise that sooner rather than later the decision to progress to foiling will come but I will still go ahead with a light wind TT for a couple of reasons, one, it will aid progression now and two, my wife who is finding the whole learning process trickier than I, is unlikely to be ready to touch a foil until she is fully confident on a TT, so it will get good use. In the end, if we have shared quiver comprised of a foil board, a large TT, a standard TT, and a range of kites, I suppose it is conceivable we could both ride at the same time with me on a foil and smaller kite, her on the TT and larger kite.

The Spleene Carbon Pro Session 54 seems to be a popular option but certainly at the 'serious' end of the spectrum. Will a 'beginner' look like a pillock doing the 'walk of shame' with a carbon fibre board like that?! :lol:

After that the Flydoor6 sounds like the more ubiquitous option. Less of an investment if (when?) it gets lost and maybe a bit more discrete.

And an interesting nod for the Oxygen V3 for being shorter and therefore maybe more playful, though how much does a short but wide board do for leg burn vs a longer thinner one or is it a subtle difference?

Also, thanks for the thumbs up for the Naish Boxer. My logic there is I want a kite that will get up, stay up, and relaunch in light winds and in beginner's hands. From what I've seen and read the Boxers will do that - just a shame they're ugly!

Finally, the suggestion of longer lines sounds sensible. With regards to that, how practical are line extensions? Is it realistic to have one bar with lines at 15-20m (for the strong wind days) with a series of extensions of say 5m and 10m for when they are needed for the light wind, or does each extension add some 'inaccuracy' to the tuning and handling of the kite because of subtle differences in line lengths and therefore multiple bars and fixed-length lines are better?

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:20 pm

Great infos here from the others. I started out foiling first and then convinced with my wife to join after initial hesitation from her side. I can tell you now she loves it even more than riding on a TT. It's much smoother especially in choppy water and can really be a meditative experience once you are up and riding. Of course you need to learn the skill but once you have feel for the kite/kite control and know how to handle it safely i don't see many reasons why not to start with foiling immediately.

as for kites i don't know the naish boxer but know that the ozone catalyst is a great beginner setup. very good quality, easy to handle and works well in light winds with their 1 strut design. however, most important is to have fun and to share the stoke together with your wife. enjoy the ride!
These users thanked the author GetHighOrDieTrying for the post:
ConcreteFloater (Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:29 pm

on line lengths: 24m is about the standard length for kites between 10-14 m. 22m for smaller kites (15m is very short). For my 11m Boxer, 11m Pivot and 14m Boxer I use my 24m Bar (fixed line length). I have 6m extension which came with the 14m Boxer, but I have not used them yet to create a 30m bar. I have used them on a 20m bar and that works perfect. I usually use 2m extensions on that 20m bar for my smaller kites. I have not tried to put two extensions behind each other. That should work, there are bars like the Core bar, which has this as standard feature (18+4+2).

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:59 pm

Sun wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:54 pm
I have never liked the long door boards. As expected, they do not like turning and are not playful. I found my favorite to be the Nobile XTR 143x48. I am well past beginner stage, and I still love using the Nobile on the light days. Unlike the long boards, it loves to rotate. I weight about 85-90kg, so the Oxygen looks to be a good idea to me.

That said, the long doors do tend to work better for most beginners, but I think if you might end up keeping the Oxygen longer. For what it is worth, my kiting girlfriend hated doors at the beginning but liked the Nobile, so there is that.
+1.

Rode a few doors and didn't like them in anything but sub-10 kts with a giant kite for desperation light wind kiting in Hatteras. Around here with the up/down inland lake wind they would be fine for the light stuff until you got a bunch of bigger gusts. They don't like to be ridden out of their intended range at all...

I had the smaller Nobile XTR 140x46 and could ride in almost the same wind (as a Flydoor 160) with a Cab Contra 15 and 6m line extensions. When the wind picked up it wasn't a death tray that couldn't be edged or skip out. It was fun to light air freestyle too. This may sound weird, but I would take this board out when conditions were cranking but really up and down. I would rig a smaller kite and use this bigger board to deal with the lulls. Seemed to work well. Regrettably I sold it, but I think I found an acceptable equivalent in the Axis Ultra. (*haven't ridden yet)

I think doors have their place for sure - beginners and total light wind shallow water riding when not foiling. I just think long range you may not use it much beyond your beginner phase.

10582831_10152394563743931_8392940707734753896_o.jpg
Ultra1.jpg
These users thanked the author POACHER for the post:
ConcreteFloater (Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:56 pm)

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:29 pm

ConcreteFloater wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:25 am

The Spleene Carbon Pro Session 54 seems to be a popular option but certainly at the 'serious' end of the spectrum. Will a 'beginner' look like a pillock doing the 'walk of shame' with a carbon fibre board like that?! :lol:
How would otherwise everyone on the beach see your beautiful board? :lol:
And with 2kg board of that size, the walk of shame is like a walk in the park ;)

As for the line extensions, all kite factories know how to make exact lengths and they all load the lines before cutting/splicing. If you notice a slight length difference, just swap the extensions, if a good pull doesn't help of course. And if it happens, it would be more likely from the main lines uneven shrinkage.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:28 pm

I wouldn't put boards like the Oxygen and Superking in the "door" category. They are both LW specific boards that go out of their way to be more than just a big flat surface. They will have less LW performance than typical "door" boards but be more fun to ride and handle chop much better.

If you want the lowest wind possible TT option I would say it's probably the A-Board Glider.
http://www.aboards.eu/public/?Products:Boards:Glider

It's not going to be any fun in choppy conditions though.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
ConcreteFloater (Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:00 pm)

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing

Postby glfmkg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi there,

66kg and 60kg is very light, so I think you wont require such a big board. I'm 100kg and I ride a 2020 Spleene Monster Door 166x50 in 10/12 knots using a 17m kite. In 10 knots of wind there is not much chop generally, however sometimes if the wind is between 12 and 14 I ride my 14m kite with the Monster Door and it does amazing in the chop! We compared my new version of the monster door with older versions (my buddies have a few) and they clearly added a bit of rocker which makes it fantastic in the chop. I also going to say that I have an Ocean Rodeo Mako 165 which is absolutely amazing in chop/small waves, it is designed for it and for you and your wife weight this would be a super fun light wind board for sure! The Mako is my fav board, I'm 6' 4" so the 165 is not really a big for me, so I use it pretty much all the time, only over 30knots I get into a smaller board - 144x43 Cabrinha Spectrum. Also "fun" is really hard to define... I have fun every time I'm out in the water ;-)

Cheers,
G.

headintheclouds
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75kg
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Foil
Gear: Naish Dash/Boxer. Cab Moto/Contra
North Focous, Naish Traverse, Alaia
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby headintheclouds » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:51 am

Hi,
for me personally the session saver in light winds is my self built Alaia in 170*42cm, super fun to ride underpowered in choppy conditions or small waves. I can ride mine in 7 to 12 Knots with a 16m Kite, if the wind picks up further i can use a 12m or change to a 138*41 TT, i´m around 70-75kg. This might be interesing for you after you got the basics down.
Plus they are really easy and cheap to build --> viewtopic.php?t=2378045

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:12 pm

Was out in 30 knts ish.....broke a bridle on my 8 mt flysurfer - my only other kite was a 3mt ......went out on the session 141 and had a blast....kite doesn't jump at all but combo screamed upwind- but flys around the sky like a humming bird - and felt super safe in those winds

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:41 pm

headintheclouds wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:51 am
Hi,
for me personally the session saver in light winds is my self built Alaia in 170*42cm, super fun to ride underpowered in choppy conditions or small waves. I can ride mine in 7 to 12 Knots with a 16m Kite, if the wind picks up further i can use a 12m or change to a 138*41 TT, i´m around 70-75kg. This might be interesing for you after you got the basics down.
Plus they are really easy and cheap to build --> viewtopic.php?t=2378045
A more recent DIY guide using marine plywood:
https://diykilaia.com/en/

Return to “Kitesurfing”