Delta99
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stockholm
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help Finding the Holy Grail Light Wind Boards

Postby Delta99 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:16 pm

Alaia vs surfboard? A large TT anyone can handle but an Alaia, isn't that like getting into straplessland with the tricky turning? Or how is it different?

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:58 am

Delta99 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:16 pm
Alaia vs surfboard? A large TT anyone can handle but an Alaia, isn't that like getting into straplessland with the tricky turning? Or how is it different?
Very different, despite both being directional and strapless, yet you can put straps on both if you wish.
The Alaia, Kilaia or Tiki is the ultimate light wind board that doesn't have a foil underneath.
I don't own one as I don't live near a beach, but have tried a few different models. It's damn easy to ride and I would argue that it's easier (in shallow water) for an absolute beginner to get on that board than on a twintip. Bold statement, I know.

Just check the videos in this channel:
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
Delta99 (Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ConcreteFloater
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 68kg
Style: Beginner
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby ConcreteFloater » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:10 am

Wow, now I'm confused... but at the same time I think I'm beginning to narrow things down.

Firstly, I love the idea of a bit of good old DIY to make a strapless - that idea is definitely going on my 'to do' list!

As for the TT I think I've been persuaded of the merits of going shorter but wider, basically a similarly large surface area but on a more conventionally shaped board. I moved away from the idea of the Oxygen v3 mainly because I have a 137x42 board on loan from a friend and in my ignorance I can't imagine that a 135x47 is going to make a significant benefit to getting out if underpowered.

So, based on that I have whittled options down to:

Spleene Carbon Pro Session 54 - 154x47
Shinn Superking Type B - 150x50

I have to admit the Session 54 seems to have a lot going for it though some comments seem to suggest it isn't as playful as it may seem, but it's not bonkers big, is fairly conventional, and LIGHT, though how much that matters is hard to say, especially for the premium price - albeit only XXXX more than the Type B. The Superking Type B on the other hand just looks great to my eyes, especially in the latest 'Chromatic' scheme. I think in a way they seem quite comparable.

Have any of you tried the Superking Type B? Am I making a mistake?!
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-11 at 14.05.32.png
Superking Type B 'Chromatic'

Chris Middleton
Rare Poster
Local Beach: South of France - Montpellier. From the Spanish border to Marseille
Favorite Beaches: Maui North Shore, Camp One, Old Mans
Sicilly - west and southern Mediterranean side, Aegian Sea - East Side also
Italy - Lake Garda
Venezuela - Los Roquos
Style: Freestyle - Cool, No Stress
Gear: Wooden-Stuff Kilaia Kiteboards, Foilaia Foilboards, Zeeko Spitfire, Storm Kilaia branded Kites, North Actionsports Group
Brand Affiliation: KILAIA Kiteboards (KI-te a-LAIA) in Montpellier - under the brand of wooden-stuff.com

Postby Chris Middleton » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:31 am

Thanks for the compliment re the Kilaia Kiteboard tutorials on YouTube. The Kite-specific-Alaia is a slight modification on a flat, finless Alaia - like the Naish which was specific to kiting but did not have any nose rocker.
I’ve been developing the Kilaia since 2014 & shaped around around 300 boards to date.
It’s principally an Alaia with gradual rocker 11cm that starts 80cm back from the nose (4 2/8ths inch rocker - 3 feet) from the nose of the board. Made ideally with Paulownia or white Cedar - due to their hydrophobic properties but you can use any woods in reality.
If you’re interested in building a DIY Kilaia or finding out more info about how they work, ride & perform, we’ve put together a site with video tutorials explaining everything from A to Z.
www.diykilaia.com plus there are free downloadable board templates complete with full instructions.
Here in France the boards have a growing number of fans because of there ease of use, can be ridden in less than 6 inches of water in less than 10knots so they’re a real session saver. If the wind drops & your on a 12m kite, don’t change your kite just change your board and you’ll be the only person (non foilers) cruising around - plus they handle great in swell ups to head high 🤙🏻
Top speeds 35 to 40knts - even been ridden in 60knots of wind 😲
These users thanked the author Chris Middleton for the post:
Flyingseb (Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:47 am)

Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M

Postby Tony in FL » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:27 pm

I am a big fan of the Litewave Carbon Wing. I have the 165x46 and it allows me to ride (and have fun) in light wind. They also have a 155x44. Demo one if you can.
Attachments
Fred Howard 11-24-20 03.jpg
Sunset Beach 03-03-21 2.jpg
Fred Howard 12-05-20 03.jpg
Last edited by Tony in FL on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Tony in FL for the post:
Flyingseb (Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:46 pm)

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:42 pm

I would take a look at the Crazyfly Slicer 154cm. I have the 160, best light wind board I have ever tried and I have tried scores of light wind boards.
These users thanked the author fernmanus for the post:
ConcreteFloater (Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:05 pm)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:37 pm

fernmanus wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:42 pm
I would take a look at the Crazyfly Slicer 154cm. I have the 160, best light wind board I have ever tried and I have tried scores of light wind boards.
Have you tried the Lightwave? If so, what is better about the slicer than the Lightwave.

Spleene-Kiteboarding
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Worldwide
Style: All Styles
Gear: Spleene
Brand Affiliation: Spleene
Has thanked: 0

Postby Spleene-Kiteboarding » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:26 pm

Hey there,

some comments from us, as our Carbon Pro Session 54 seems to be in the smaller circle of the holy grail nominees :-)
In general the Carbon Pro Boards can hardly be compared to regular glasfibre boards. The weight is outstanding low. A Carbon Pro Monster Door will beat small glasfibre boards in weight. That means even the biggest board is totally playfull and easy to handle at the foot. If you ride a High Tech DOOR (which is our glasfibre line) and then switch to a Carbon Pro DOOR - this is a new world, expecially because of the very low weight. Even the High Tech Line Lightwind Kiteboards are rated by many many customers and testers as among the best lightwind boards in the market - but the Carbon Pro add a new level to that.

So let's come to our sizes:
Carbon Pro SESSION 54 - 154cm x 47cm
Carbon Pro DOOR 59 - 159 x 45cm
Carbon Pro MONSTER DOOR - 166 x 50cm

If you look for the maximum low end, then the Monster Door is your choice. With the classic Door shape, it will ride upwind like hell and plane as early as possible. The Door 59 has not such a low lowend, but gives you more playfullness. The SESSION 54 is now for all of those, who want a maximum alive lightwind board. It has less surface than the Doors and the shape is not a upwind machine like a Door, but the upside is just more agility and playfullness. So it depends on what you like to do. And what your weight is. A 60kg person will ride in very low wind with a Session 54, while a 95kg person can control a Monster Door very easily and also get good nice playfullness out of it.

I hope this gives some background on our boards. For all US riders: we have SPLEENE USA back allive. Access to Spleene boards is much easier this year. Just get in touch with Mike under contact@spleene-usa.com

Best wishes from Germany (and USA :-) )
your SPLEENE Team

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:20 am

Can I add that the session is great for newbies as well - it is almost impossible to not ride upwind on it

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips

Postby Steve271 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:41 pm

+1 For Lightwave Wing 165
I am 70kg and started 2 years ago, with my son who is 65kg. I paired the wing with a 145 cabrinha stylus- both square designs. We have since added smaller lighter boards for higher winds - 135 & 139. This allows us to both ride at same time, with me generally on the larger board.
It was great to learn on and now that we can ride, I now use it as a session saver - with 18m Soul or 15m XR5. Yes we’re learning to foil, but our inland lakes fill with weed over Summer, so TT or surfboard is essential for light winds.
It feels like cheating as it rips upwind so hard.
I did avoid taking it out in small waves (Lake Michigan) for the longest time, expecting it to be a nightmare, but was pleasantly surprised.

Return to “Kitesurfing”