Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First kite for a very, very beginner

Forum for kitesurfers
Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First kite for a very, very beginner

Postby Kristan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:08 am

Slappysan wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:48 pm
The only difference is inland winds are gusty, you always want to take both the average and gusts in to account when kitesurfing. Ideally you rig small enough to be comfortable in the gusts yet big enough to handle the average.

For me, a 12m kite + TT works in the 11-25 knot range. So if I think it'll be about 15-20 with gusts up to 25 I'll take a 12m.
Meanwhile my 17m kite + TT works in the 9-22 knot range. So if I think it'll be about 12-14 with gusts up to 18 I'll take the 17m.

The OP has said he's looking at 10-15 knot winds, these are borderline winds for 12m, especially 80 kg people. I have no clue why people would be advising him to get a 12m and compensate with a door board. While that might work, he would have much more fun and an easier time on 14-17m kite and a normal board.
It's not about the gusts, it's about humidity, temperature and other factors. In my observations, whenever I ride on seas, I need extra 2 knots to achieve same results as if I'd go on our inland lake.

17m kite is overkill and mostly needed for 90+kg riders, which is not the case. To be optimal OP rather needs a 14m kite, if they wanna have plenty of power to work with and have steady upwind.

Besides, 17m LEI's are heresy in my book. Questionable upwind, flying capabilities because of weight and short top end. 15 foil kite is much better. Buuut considering that OP is a very very beginner, foil kite might be too much for them.

tomato
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sweden
Style: faceplant!!!
Gear: old

Postby tomato » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:36 am

Go to the beach, check what others are riding. 10-15knots is very light wind, you will need 17m to practice as beginner from 13-15knots.
I am 82kg, first kites i got was 12 and 9m2. 12m2 I use from 15-17knots up to about 20knots. Then switch to 9m2 which I can hold up to 30knots. After that- 7m2. I have 16m2 and do not go out lower than 12-13knots. Big kites are overated- they cost a lot and have very narrow windrange, to that money it is better to invest into another hobby for low wind days.
Any kite intended as allround kite will be fine for you, like pivot, reach, moto, evo,rally and so on. They do all good enough and are not so sensitive to rider.
Do not buy small board as first one, choose in width 42-43cm wide, that will help with progress.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:01 am

I think big kites (17m+-) are much more useful than their reputation. Quite a few times I have been on beaches having fun (somewhat) with my 17m while basically everyone else are just drifting downwind not having enough power to stay upwind. As mentioned many times on here I have grown out of it, but it is still the size I have used the most as a kiter. Obviously I am bigger than most so that slightly changes things, but it is not only for heavier riders.

Are you overpowered on a 17m at 15 knots if you are 83kg? I highly doubt that.

I can see tomato's point with not bothering with TT kitesurfing if you are only kiting in sub 15 knots conditions. Not sure if I would say my Zephyr has an especially narrow wind-range though.

Anyway. There seems to be an agreement that getting a 12m for those kind of conditions with a TT doesn't make sense.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 am

You are getting a lot of good advice here and I would recommend getting a seat harness which will help you better to hold down the power in the big kite sizes when the wind comes up. Also learn how to adjust the depower so you know how to do it when needed.

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:01 pm

Think about taking a vacation/trip to a reliable wind location where there is a good kite school. I suggest at least 2 wks so you will have about 1 wk course until you are independent and then have enough time to practice for another wk under the same conditions. IMO this will prepare you better to enjoy the occasional ride at your local spot when conditions are right rather than going through the grind to learn kiting at your local spot in sub optimal conditions and over a long period of time. once you are an independent rider on your TT and got some basic experience you could think about getting into foiling which will increase the joy of kiting in lighter winds by a lot.

with respect to the equipment there was a lot of good advise. in your weight class you look for sure at a 15m and large/light wind board/door. look for lighter wind kite designs with no more than 3 struts to keep the kite's weight low. examples are duotone evo/juice, ozone catalyst or similar designs.

also be sure to learn how to self-rescue before you go out on water because there is a good chance that in your light wind conditions you will need that skill quite often. i definitely recommend taking classes with a reputable kite school until you are independent, otherwise the risk of hurting yourself and/or others is very high.

stay safe and good luck on your kite journey!

Grancio
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: best ts
Been thanked: 0

Postby Grancio » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:13 pm

Thank you for all of your advices.
I already have a big board TT, and I had an old best ts 12m that at 10-12 knots didnt stay in the air. But other skilled guys, with the same kite size but not Best ts (i think many had Evo) go well.

My master said to me that a 14m is too big and is better to get a 11-12m and learn to move the kite to generate power.

But I dont know if i agree, I think that he speak thinking to himself that is an expert (20 years of experience)

Maybe he forget when he was a beginner.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:41 pm

Kristan wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:08 am
It's not about the gusts, it's about humidity, temperature and other factors. In my observations, whenever I ride on seas, I need extra 2 knots to achieve same results as if I'd go on our inland lake.
I´ve been kiting for 12 years both inland and sea and the only considerable difference is that inland is just way more gusty. Humidity and temperature have so little affect on wind speed that you don´t notice it as a kiter. There might be some other effect (e.g. Venturi or thermal) at the spot you are talking about but it´s for sure not humidity or air temperature.

@OP 12m is way too small for 83KG and I don´t understand why people recommend that size. You would be very underpowered with a 12m and it´s way way easier as a beginner if you are properly powered. I´ve been teaching a lot of friends how to kite and I am not a fan of giving beginners underpowered kites because simply, they do not yet have the technique to ride efficiently and compensate the lack of power and it will only lead to frustration. Modern kites have such a huge windrange anyway that even beginner can easily compensate gusts just at the bar. 15M is a good choice and personally would recommend a Juice. Combine that with a bigger board and you´ll be happy. Do not buy anything smaller than that.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:50 pm

10-15 knots will be harder to learn in, yet doable. For fun ride in those conditions I’d grab a 14m classic Rally but a 12m Pivot or 13.5m XR or 14.5m Flite can substitute. Just make sure you get line extensions (to get 30m total length or so) and a wide (preferably door) board if you pick smaller kite.
Smaller kites are more fun to ride so stay away from 17m range.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:21 pm

Kristan wrote:
Sounds more like you have a 2 knot current in the area you ride on in the ocean that you are falsely assuming is less wind strength.
Kristan wrote:
17m kite is overkill and mostly needed for 90+kg riders, which is not the case. To be optimal OP rather needs a 14m kite, if they wanna have plenty of power to work with and have steady upwind.
How is a 17m kite overkill for an 80 kg person in 10-15 knots? I'm 75 kg and I ride my 17m LEI in 8-20 knots.
Kristan wrote:
Besides, 17m LEI's are heresy in my book. Questionable upwind, flying capabilities because of weight and short top end. 15 foil kite is much better.
Seems like you have limited experience on 17m LEI kites. Yes some can feel overpowered at 15 knots but this is hardly true of all 17m LEI kites.

Here's a video of me riding my Ocean Rodeo 17m Flite LEI in 20 knot conditions:

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Postby PabloQ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:48 am

Estimated,
I would look for a 14 / 15m kite
cabrinha against
duotone juice or rebel
best rock
or flysurfer soul 12m
Sure, a large board at least 145x44

Return to “Kitesurfing”