Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 85kg
Style: Freeride/wakestyle, old school big air
Gear: Slingshot,Naish, Cabrinha,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 14 meter Kite Advise

Postby Saltyman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:28 am

Eleveight 14m RS or new XS V2 now come in 14m super fast for a 14m kites.
I rode the 17m RS the other day quickest big kite I've ever flown.
Give one a demo but 14m RS feels as fast as a 11m pivot.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:26 am

Ocean rodeo Flite Aluula 14.5m 8) Good for light wind, pretty good for waves, jumps well. Not cheap though.

To go big you need to be able to hold a lot of power and thats why heavier riders like the 5 strut kites as they are more stable when pushed. However, you need better kite flying skills as they are easier to stall. Consequently, some people would say that foil kites are the way to go for big kites. Have you considered something like a flysurfer soul? Its higher performance at the expense of a complicated ground handling learning experience (how to setup/launch and land) and slower turning speed. They aren't for everybody but might be worth a look. A 12m would have a similar range to a typical 14m LEI so you could look at a 15m which would get you better low end and a similar high end.

Out of the ones you listed. Lift will be the fastest turning. Rebel best known for heavy riders and easiest boosting in the middle of the range (you don't need to be very powered to go big). Edge is highest ultimate performance but needs more kite handling skills to get the most out of it

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:12 pm

love my ozone edges but not sure it's the right kite for your needs.

the edge flies super far forward into the wind window similar to foil kites and if you come from more all-round kites can feel initially a bit weird and might need some time to get used to. it's great for boosting especially on the high end. it drifts but as it flies so far forward in the wind window it's not the ideal kite for waves. the large size will make the kite pretty slow due to its very high aspect. that can be great for old-school tricks but less so for waves and overall free riding - which is what i understand you look for. in the ozone range i'd rather recommend you the enduro - a fantastic all-rounder.

the rebel is a great kite but can be heavy (5 struts). It's slower and not well suited for waves either. A great kite I enjoy riding and which is a great all-rounder also is the evo.

enjoy the ride!

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:21 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:26 am
Ocean rodeo Flite Aluula 14.5m 8)
At 220 lbs the OP doesn't need the aluula version at all, he's probably riding his 14m Ultra in 15-25 knots.

I agree that you should give the Flite a look though, even might want to consider the 17m at 220 lbs.
I'm 165 lbs and ride my 17m Flite in 8-20 knots, really good top end for a 17m.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:29 pm

GetHighOrDieTrying wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:12 pm

the edge flies super far forward into the wind window similar to foil kites and if you come from more all-round kites can feel initially a bit weird and might need some time to get used to. it's great for boosting especially on the high end. it drifts but as it flies so far forward in the wind window it's not the ideal kite for waves. the large size will make the kite pretty slow due to its very high aspect. that can be great for old-school tricks but less so for waves and overall free riding - which is what i understand you look for. in the ozone range i'd rather recommend you the enduro - a fantastic all-rounder.

the rebel is a great kite but can be heavy (5 struts). It's slower and not well suited for waves either. A great kite I enjoy riding and which is a great all-rounder also is the evo.

enjoy the ride!
Don't think you can find the perfect one. Agree on the descriptions. I think the Enduro is a fantastic all-round kite, but of you want to jump as a heavy rider I wouldn't recommend it. If you want one kite that both drifts and jumps decently then yes.

I have seen lighter riders jump very well with the Enduro by the way. In SA the highest jumping kiter I saw was on an Enduro. So it is certainly capable, but my experience with for example the Rebel is that the structure really helps when you are heavier than most kiters. Seems similar with the Edge. My friend is not light weight and he always went higher with the Edge - even higher than the Rebel I believe.

GetHighOrDieTrying
Rare Poster
Weight: 180lbs
Local Beach: USA
Gear: Ozone

Postby GetHighOrDieTrying » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Havre wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:29 pm

enjoy the ride!
Don't think you can find the perfect one. Agree on the descriptions. I think the Enduro is a fantastic all-round kite, but of you want to jump as a heavy rider I wouldn't recommend it. If you want one kite that both drifts and jumps decently then yes.

I have seen lighter riders jump very well with the Enduro by the way. In SA the highest jumping kiter I saw was on an Enduro. So it is certainly capable, but my experience with for example the Rebel is that the structure really helps when you are heavier than most kiters. Seems similar with the Edge. My friend is not light weight and he always went higher with the Edge - even higher than the Rebel I believe.
fully agree with you that the rebel and edge might be better high-end jumping machines for high winds. as i understand glfmkg (who is asking the question) is a heavier intermediate rider who likes a versatile riding style (jumping and waves) and mainly rides in light to medium winds at his local spot. IMO the performance of Enduro/Evo is more accessible for such a rider and handling is overall is easier + lighter construction for lighter winds.

as you say there is no perfect one and it comes down a lot to personal preference. if there is a chance it's always best to demo the kites before handing out the cash to the dealer. the worst is to spend a lot of money and end up with a kite you are not happy with. :cheers:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:31 pm

Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:17 pm
Havre wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:29 pm

enjoy the ride!

fully agree with you that the rebel and edge might be better high-end jumping machines for high winds. as i understand glfmkg (who is asking the question) is a heavier intermediate rider who likes a versatile riding style (jumping and waves) and mainly rides in light to medium winds at his local spot. IMO the performance of Enduro/Evo is more accessible for such a rider and handling is overall is easier + lighter construction for lighter winds.

as you say there is no perfect one and it comes down a lot to personal preference. if there is a chance it's always best to demo the kites before handing out the cash to the dealer. the worst is to spend a lot of money and end up with a kite you are not happy with. :cheers:
The best kite I have ever tried for jumping in light wind is the Rebel. I don't know what it is, but the Enduro doesn't work at all for me in light wind - for jumping. I have tried to pump it up hard, but as soon as you pull the bar it is almost like it just dies. Nothing happens. In better wind I like it. Even if it is very "delicate". I'm suspecting it struggles to keep it's shape properly when a 100kg is asking it to launch. You really got to get your timing right to jump well. Perfect kite for improving my technical abilities.

Never tried it in waves, but if he goes in that direction he should probably not expect to be very successful at riding it properly in waves. I think he most likely got to choose one over the other.

Should point I'm not the final answer here, but those are my personal experience with those kites being heavier than most kiters.

Return to “Kitesurfing”