North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

14 meter Kite Advise

Postby glfmkg » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:18 pm

Hi there,

I'm 6'4" 220lb and ride TT - primarily freeride and learning to jump (I'm making consistent 5 to 6 meters jumps now). I use my 14m Airush Ultra V2 almost 80% of the time given the wind strength in my local spots - I love the Ultra, I also have a 9m and a 12m. My 14m is getting older and I started to think to buy a new 14 and leave the ultra as a backup.

For the type of riding I like to do, freeride, jumps and small waves I narrowed down the following 3 kites:

14 meter Airrush Lift
15 meter Ozone Edge
14 meter Naish Pivot

If you have experience with these kites on those sizes I would like to hear your opinion. Ideally I would like to have a kite that would be ok to ride in waves, that's why I love the ultras as they drift very well; however I still have not learn to ride directional boards.

In case you want to know which boards I use, primarily my Ocean Rodeo Mako 165 or for higher winds I go with my Cabrinah Spectrum 144 - The Mako is my go to board as it can handle pretty much everything out there.

Thank you,
G.

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Re: 14 meter Kite Advise

Postby Kiterisland » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:16 am

Hey, I am your exact size and have a 14m pivot. It’s a fun big kite that still drifts ok. For sure it will drift more than the edge or lift, but won’t have quite as big of wind range or jumps. It’s a fun kite to learn new stuff on and I think would fit you best out of those three kites.
These users thanked the author Kiterisland for the post (total 2):
glfmkg (Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm) • andrzej351 (Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:14 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

BenBen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor

Postby BenBen » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:32 am

I used to fly some kites in the 13-15 meter sizes. But i really struggled with the Pivot 14 (i had the 2017). For sure its a good boosting and a good drifting kite, but i had really bad issues riding upwind. Even with enough wind, on several boards, different trims... Never had this kind of problems with any other kite i owned. I never had to even think about it. And another downside for me: i think the low end isnt great for a heavy guy (i got the same weight/size). And thats what a 14 meter kite is made for.
I d choose the Ozon Edge. Since you got a 12 meter kite a 15 m kite is the better choice in my opinion to get you in your board as early as possible.
(My quiver ist 8-10-12-15)
These users thanked the author BenBen for the post:
glfmkg (Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:16 am

As you seem to love your 1-strut kites the Naish Boxer in 14m could also be an option. It has a very good wind range for a 1-strutter, some say the best, but I do not have any comparison. I (73 kg) have the 14m and 11m plus 11m and 8m Pivots.
The Boxer jumps good and has good hangtime. The Pivot obviously has more performance in that regard, feels more rigid, but in the winds I use the 14m, I am happy with the Boxer. I can work on my jumping technique, rotations, I can do downloops, etc. The Boxer has more low end power than than the Pivot in the same size, but less high end. It drifts better and will stay longer in the air in lulls.

I rode a friend’s 2020 Pivot in 14m very briefly. I liked it and had no issues going upwind. However, my choice in that size is the Boxer as it feels lighter, more playful and has more low end.
These users thanked the author Dirk for the post:
glfmkg (Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:54 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am

Being in the same weight class I would never go for a 1 strut kite to jump with. Never tried the Edge myself, but a friend of mine used to have one. Very decent kite for the kind of use you are describing - even if I couldn't see it drifting very well. Not sure if you can find a big kite that would both drift and jump when you are 100kg?

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:33 pm

What wind range are you targeting?
If you like the Airush, just get the new model, recently a friend was comparing 14m ultra v2 vs 2021 eleveight rs 14m, and they are very different kites, the RS was for sure not as good as the ultra for lower wind conditions, he even decided to sell the RS after owning it for 2 weeks.

I am not bashing the RS, just if something works for you it may not be the best idea to change it unless you are lacking something.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:42 pm

The Edge will Jump the best but the Pivot will be better in waves and Jump really great too. I have own several Ultra they are not the best for jumping so any of those 3 should be better. The Ultra is amazing for foiling and good in waves but a kite designed to drift well will pull downwind for Jumping you want a kite designed to go upwind really well like the Edge. The Pivot is a good jack of all trade.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
glfmkg (Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:50 pm)

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:50 pm

HALF wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:33 pm
What wind range are you targeting?
If you like the Airush, just get the new model, recently a friend was comparing 14m ultra v2 vs 2021 eleveight rs 14m, and they are very different kites, the RS was for sure not as good as the ultra for lower wind conditions, he even decided to sell the RS after owning it for 2 weeks.

I am not bashing the RS, just if something works for you it may not be the best idea to change it unless you are lacking something.
I normally fly my 14 in 13/14 knots to 18/20 knots

I like the ultra, however it is not making it easier for me to jump with it, so that's why I was thinking the Lift, Edge or Pivot. Do you have experience with any of those kites?

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:53 pm

Havre wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am
Being in the same weight class I would never go for a 1 strut kite to jump with. Never tried the Edge myself, but a friend of mine used to have one. Very decent kite for the kind of use you are describing - even if I couldn't see it drifting very well. Not sure if you can find a big kite that would both drift and jump when you are 100kg?
Yes thank you, I already have a 14m Ultra, I'm looking to add another one to my quiver that would be more suitable for jumping, so your suggestion on the Edge is a good one.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:02 pm

glfmkg wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:53 pm
Havre wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 am
Yes thank you, I already have a 14m Ultra, I'm looking to add another one to my quiver that would be more suitable for jumping, so your suggestion on the Edge is a good one.
From my experience 5 struts really seems to help when jumping - maybe especially for heavier riders. But it is not like I have tested every 3-struts kite around - so for all I know the Pivot works well for us.

I have absolutely no complaints with my Ozones. Never had a single issue really in 5-6 years with different Ozone kites. But I couldn't say that the Edge would be better than the XR, Rebel etc. Don't think you can go much wrong with an Edge though. Personally I'm looking to get the 2021 Orbit. No good reason other than testing out another brand for the sake of it - basically. And I don't like the high split which rules out Core and I find the Rebel very very slow (SLS might change my mind if that comes out before I buy).

Return to “Kitesurfing”